NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-20-2024, 07:56 PM
Sean McGinty

Default KFC is throwing out one of Japan's most treasured pieces of baseball memorabilia

https://japantoday.com/category/nati...ed-of-in-japan

In 1985 the Hanshin Tigers won the Nippon Series. To celebrate a mob of Tigers fans grabbed a statue of Colonel Sanders from outside a KFC in downtown Osaka and threw it into the Dotonbori Canal. This was in honor of Randy Bass - they wanted something that looked like him and the statue of the Colonel was the closest thing they had.

The statue sank and disappeared. The Tigers went on a decades long futility streak without another Series win. Fans attributed this to the Colonel's anger at being thrown in the canal, and the "Curse of the Colonel" became Japanese baseball's most famous folk legend.

In 2009 construction workers doing some work on the canal found the statue and pulled it from the mud. It was headline news nationwide, and became an object of veneration for Tigers fans. KFC was still the owner of it and it was returned. Its been on display at various venues ever since, and last year for the first time since 1985 the curse was lifted and the Tigers won the Nippon Series.

This morning however KFC announced that it will be throwing away the statue, saying that it is "too dilapidated" to display anymore.

This is just the most insane piece of news to me. Its like the equivalent of the person who owns Roger Maris' 61st home run ball deciding to toss it in the trash because its a bit scuffed up or something. The thing must be worth a fortune to collectors and I can't wrap my head around why KFC isn't trying to sell it to one rather than trashing it.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:15 PM
Jim M.arinari

Even the Bartman ball is in the Hall of.....

Oh. Nevermind.

Maybe the Japanese aren't as memorabila-minded as some cultures??
Old 03-20-2024, 09:50 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Even the Bartman ball is in the Hall of.....

Oh. Nevermind.

Maybe the Japanese aren't as memorabila-minded as some cultures??
Interesting fact: the Bartman Ball actually still exists (in pieces) and is on display at a Chicago museum.

There actually is a voracious appetite for baseball memorabilia among Japanese collectors too, which makes the decision to dispose of this statue all the more mysterious to me.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:03 AM
Rob

The Colonel Sanders resemblance is a bit of a stretch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0361.jpeg (73.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:29 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Seems like a weird thing to do, just throw it away?

No collectors in Japan? Seems like having a charity auction and donating all proceeds to charity or something would have been a fun promotion, or something along those lines.

New curse is sure to follow! 🤣

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-22-2024, 07:19 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Interesting fact: the Bartman Ball actually still exists (in pieces) and is on display at a Chicago museum.
The Bartman saga has always fascinated me, and from a collectors' perspective it was disappointing to learn the final fate of the ball. I had always thought it was lost forever after it was destroyed, but I'm glad to see that's not the case.

The ball is located in the Chicago Sports Museum.

(Image source: https://www.chicagosportsmuseum.com/exhibits.html)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:50 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
The Colonel Sanders resemblance is a bit of a stretch.
True. They were choosing people in the crowd who looked like each Tigers player, then making that guy jump in the river. When they came to Bass there weren’t any gaijin in the crowd, so the Colonel was accepted as a substitute.