NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How important is auction sniping to you?
I would not use a personal auction platform without it. 29 26.36%
I would much rather have it but it's not essential. 58 52.73%
I would use the auction platform some but not too much. 10 9.09%
I would only use the auction platform to sell, without a sniping ability. 4 3.64%
What is sniping s/w? 4 3.64%
West Nile virus is attacking my computer. 5 4.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default How important is auction sniping to you?

As I continue to contemplate giving ebay a run for their money....I want to see what fellow members think of the importance of sniping. For me, it is very important as I use it about 95% of the time. The other 5% I am just playing around. Would I use ebay without it? Yes, but I would much prefer to have it as an option. Please vote your level of interest in that option.....
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Hey! I was finally first at something in my life!! Yea!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default public poll

I forgot to mention I made this a PUBLIC poll. So please be aware your vote will be seen. I didn't think there would be harm in that option for this one.

Way to go Dan...!!!! YOU are always first on my list...right behind your Dad of course. Please say hi to him for me...
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Dave

As a buyer I use it sometimes and like the option.

As a seller I don't really care. Seemed to be a lot more bidding wars on my stuff before the emergence of sniping. It also gives you an early sense of interest in your item without everybody waiting for the last second to snipe. I found people bid earlier and more often before the popularity of sniping programs caught on.

Nowadays I have no idea what something will sell for until the auction is over. Even watch lists don't really give a sense of interest. It's amazing the number of items with 2 or 3 watchers will outsell an item with 20+ watchers.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Include Sports Memorabilia

Leon,

I hope that when you say "giving eBay a run for their money" you will include vintage sports memorabilia (ie publications, photos, ticket stubs, etc.).

I think that the time is right for someone to start an auction site for vintage sports cards and memorabilia.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM

I voted for "I would not use a personal auction platform without it." and I probably should have voted for "I would much rather have it but it's not essential." after thinking about it a little more. I was mainly thinking about eBay when I voted and I pretty much always snipe an auction I want to win. It really isn't an option with other auction sites.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Leon,

I hope that when you say "giving eBay a run for their money" you will include vintage sports memorabilia (ie publications, photos, ticket stubs, etc.).

I think that the time is right for someone to start an auction site for vintage sports cards and memorabilia.

Good luck!
At the moment the idea is all sports items BUT only sports. I am busy looking into s/w at this point and have a s/w programmer as a partner. It is extremely early but I think this time I will give it a shot. NO ONE needs to worry about anything on the board today changing. It won't. No fees, no change. The goal, if I/we do it, is to have 1 more optional link on the board. No one will be forced to click on it if they don't want to. We are a long ways away at best...probably several months. Regardless of, if ebay changes back to categories or not, I probably want to give this a try this time. As mentioned in another thread I have always thought about doing it. There isn't too much downside to trying.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Matt Wieder

To add to the discussion, one of the options we're looking into is software the has an "anti-sniping" feature, which means that if a bid comes in during the last X minutes (say 10) then the auction gets extended X minutes from that point. Would that be preferred to sniping or at least a viable alternative?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
To add to the discussion, one of the options we're looking into is software the has an "anti-sniping" feature, which means that if a bid comes in during the last X minutes (say 10) then the auction gets extended X minutes from that point. Would that be preferred to sniping or at least a viable alternative?
Yuck, no thanks to that feature.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Rich Klein

Default My vote about West Nile was a joke

However; this is a very serious post and I really do believe this.

EBay has totally forgotten what made them successful. Instead of continuing to help the "average" person post items; they would rather pick up a few high powered sellers and become a retail mall so to speak.

From my experience; especially in today's world; they would be better served letting everyone post (with proper background); not put limits like Pay Pal only; the ridiculous DSL in which an average grade of 4 out of 5 can get you thrown off; etc.

One of the old great joys of EBay was that if a seller got real lucky; he or she could find the two bidders needed and hit the "jackpot" so to speak. Of course; if you have seen that recent "jackpot" commercial; there must be a better word.

Leon; a well thought out auction world would not bring down the Bay in any way; but with the continued nibbling from us AND from other parts of the world; they will eventually fail under their own weight

Rich
Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 AM

Matt/Leon,
Are all of the auctions all going to end at the same time on the new site or at various times like eBay? That's why I like sniping on eBay. I don't have time to keep up with all of the various auction end times. Bumping the auction out by 10 minutes won't really do me any good, if that is the case.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousgolfers View Post
Matt/Leon,
Are all of the auctions all going to end at the same time on the new site or at various times like eBay? That's why I like sniping on eBay. I don't have time to keep up with all of the various auction end times. Bumping the auction out by 10 minutes won't really do me any good, if that is the case.
Thanks,
Jason
It would be at different times, as it was on eBay.

Really, the question comes down to putting in your bid while the auction is going or having a system put it in 5 seconds before it ends. If (and this is a big if) shill bidding is not a concern, is it still essential to be able to snipe?

Last edited by Matt; 09-22-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousgolfers View Post
Matt/Leon,
Thanks,
Jason
Jason, I think our idea is to try to emulate ebay except without the idiocy. So, auctions will end at various times just like on ebay. I feel that people need to have 100% control over their own auctions. Also, as mentioned before....I/we also understand the value equation and our lack of the audience ebay has. There has to be almost no risk or cost to sellers (at least at first). I think there might need to be an extremely nominal fee at first in order to keep out 1 billion Fleer and Donruss rookies....Not that we don't want a place for them but our goal is not to have a billion cards on there, that have no value (except intrinsic meaning if you burn them you get heat) and never sell.....
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Dave

Quote:

I love this idea.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Default eBay Sniping

Leon...very essential because with our busy lives, most cannot have internet access "24/7".

Regards,
Joe
Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:

As a buyer, I love snipping more then I love my dog! It is one of the greatest inventions of this century. Something that future generations will be proud off.

As a seller, I absolutely hate it! I abhorre it and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The numerous nights I've spent sweating out an ebay auction......praying for some snipper to resue me. Grrrrrrr!!! I'm working-up a cold sweat just thinking about it.....

By the way, I like Matt's suggestion. He is way ahead of the curve on this one, an anti-sniping feature would be ideal. However the only problem I see is shill bidding by Mastro.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 09-22-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Type-o, sorry about that my secretary is out to lunch!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Matt,
Yes, I still like sniping or the ability to put in one bid. I like to be able to put in one max bid and see where it stands at the end of an auction. I am concerned about shill bidding, but I also don't want someone to have a chance to counter my bid or run my max bid up to their limit. If I was selling, I would probably want it to work different.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Leon...very essential because with our busy lives, most cannot have internet access "24/7".
Joe - there's no need for 24/7 internet access; you could just put in your max bid (that would be executed one increment above the next highest, just like on eBay) a day or 2 before the auction ends...you know, how must of us used to bid on eBay

Because eBay does a crappy job of policing shill bidding, this wasn't a great option there, but assume we can do a better job..

Last edited by Matt; 09-22-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Scott

I am a low end collector, so most of my purchases come from Ebay and the B/S/T board. I have had good luck with sniping on Ebay.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 AM

I've been buying on ebay for 11 years now and have never used a snipe program, but that's not to say I never would.

My NUMBER 1 concern with buying on ebay,the B/S/T or any other online setup is, Can I trust the seller?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Joe - there's no need for 24/7 internet access; you could just put in your max bid (that would be executed one increment above the next highest, just like on eBay) a day or 2 before the auction ends...you know, how must of us used to bid on eBay.
I don't care for sniping and I take the above approach. If I put my max bid in early it makes me less likely to get in a sniping war in the closing seconds of an auction and end up paying more than I planned.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I don't understand the anti-sniping stance. If you auction an item and it is supposed to end at 10:00 p.m. on Saturday night, what difference does it make if I put my bid in 3 days, 1 day, or 6 seconds before the auction ends? As long as the bid is in before the ending time, there is no "moral" issue. If someone outsnipes me, so be it. I don't like putting in an early bid and having someone bump me up slowly in $10, $20, $50 increments (whether genuine or shilled). I'd rather put in my max bid and let it ride. If someone outsnipes me, then they either wanted it more or had more financial resources. I can live with that.

As a seller, I can see the downside. But it could also be positive if 2 or more bidders leave high snipes at the end. I see it happen all the time on e-bay.

You can't have it both ways, as a buyer I only snipe, as a seller I'd go with the attitude that I put an auction up and it will bring whatever the market will bear, whether it's through early bidding or last-second sniping.

Mike

Last edited by docpatlv; 09-22-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I'd rather snipe manually at 10 seconds. The sniping software is cumbersome to set up kills on the ipod. But I do use it when wifee needs snuggle time.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM

I have never understood the obsession with sniping. Granted, I don't use ebay all that much, but I generally just enter the high amount I am willing to pay sometime close to the end and let it ride. What makes sniping better than that? Since everyone else snipes, nobody knows if their bid are high enough until it is too late anyway. Seems to basically be the same thing.
JimB
Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Jim

I found that as a buyer sniping seems to keep the cost down, although hate to get sniped but that's part of the fun of an auction. Would not like to see an extension of time on the auction as others have mentioned but that is just my opinion.

One thing for sure is PLEASE MAKE PAYPAL AN OPTION!!!!

As to being able to trust a seller or buyer, perhaps a three strikes (bad trade, non payment, selling fakes etc) and your out, meaning you can't buy or sell again on this auction platform may work.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I have never understood the obsession with sniping. Granted, I don't use ebay all that much, but I generally just enter the high amount I am willing to pay sometime close to the end and let it ride. What makes sniping better than that? Since everyone else snipes, nobody knows if their bid are high enough until it is too late anyway. Seems to basically be the same thing.
JimB
Jim,

You're correct, but with sniping, I don't have to be around the computer when the auction ends.

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-22-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM

JimB,

Mostly you are correct, but not everyone snipes. If there is an item at auction and I am willing to go $1000. I enter my max bid 4 days before and wait for auction to end. Another bidder is willing to go $600. He puts his max bid in and is immediately outbid. He then thinks maybe I'll try $700 and puts another bid in only to get outbid again. So he tries one more time and puts in $800. Nobody else bids higher than $600 and auction ends. Putting my bid in early cost me an extra $200 in this instance. This is my reasoning for sniping.

It can backfire on you if there is an item you "have to have" and place an aggressive snipe and someone else does the same. But as has said before, just bid the highest amount you are comfortable bidding.

JimVB also brought up a good point if you can't be at the computer at the time the auction ends, a sniping service is great.

Mike

Last edited by docpatlv; 09-22-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

IMO, sniping is great as a buyer and seller (based on 12 years of eBay experience).

As a buyer, I make sure my highest bid is placed at the very last minute. I do not run the risk of dishonest sellers shill bidding their own auctions and I eliminate the exuberant bidder who keeps bidding just to run up my max bid.
Not to mention that I do not have to worry about auction ending times.

As a seller, sniping has easily accounted for those wonderful sales that make eBay worth doing in the first place and boosting most of those low ball sales that are disappointing.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Bruce Babcock

Since I'm off ebay I no longer need a sniping service.

I don't care if I am outbid with 6 seconds to go or 6 days IF the bidding increments are published and reasonable. To lose a lot by $1 or even one cent, i.e., well under 1%, as has happened to me with ebay is b.s.

I tried to bring this up with ebay 10 years ago but I never got farther than various low-level one-named reps.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Mike,
That makes sense. Thanks.
JimB
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 PM

I like sniping for a couple of reasons, one of which is already mentioned, I don't have to be at the computer before the auction ends.

The big reason I like sniping is because it keeps ME under control, so I don't get "auction fever" and get caught up in last minute bidding. There have been a few times I was that bidder who kept bidding more and more until I was the high bidder. I was caught up in the rush of bidding and the competition with another bidder. After the auction I realized I had just overpaid for an item.

With a sniper, I can set my snipe and what I am willing to pay days before the auction ends. That gives me time to think about it, to make sure I really want to pay that much, or even if I want to raise my max bid. I try not to impulse bid, I like to think things over before I make a purchase (which makes my wife happy, she knows I don't impulse buy without thinking it through). With a sniper, if I decide a day or two later I really don't want to bid that much, don't really want the item, think the item is worth more to me or have found another item that I want more, I can cancel, lower or raise my bid.

Without the sniper program, I have to remember the auction end time, be at a computer or place my bid early. And if I place my bid early and decide later I don't want to bid that much, or see something else I want instead, I am SOL because I have already entered into a binding contract.

"Hi, my name is Steve and I am a collecting addict."
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Sniping Rocks!

I've been using sniping software for years. I am convinced it has saved me lots of money. Plus, it lets me get away from the computer: when something I want comes up I can put in my max bid a week in advance. I would not like a system that resets after a snipe.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

I've never used a snipe service. I think that I never will.

Never wasn't an option, so I thought Rich needed company.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Jim VB

At the risk of outing a current (but non-card) auction, here's a good example of why non-snipers get hurt.

A zero feedback bidder placed 4 bids in 7 minutes and walked this one up from $200 to $400+.

I know it will go for much more, but it looks like Mr. zero feedback is trying to find the other guy's bid.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190336391115
Old 09-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Joe Jesselli

I would never consign an item to an auctioneer that allows sniping. Closing an auction at a fixed time costs the seller (consignor and actioneer) money. Think of how many times you were the under-bidder in an eBay auction and you thought to yourself, "That went cheap, I would've gone up some more." That is what happens in a real (live) auction....you have the opportunity to change your mind and get caught up in the fever. That is also what happens in the online auctions that have a 15-minute or whatever rule...assuming, of course, those auctions are on the level.

That being said, I love sniping. I do it all the time. As a buyer.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Dont care

Leon, your poll should have another option. "I don't care". I would love to see another auction site, and I will be happy to pay a fee to sell on the site, but it doesn't make any difference to me whether or not it has a snipe feature.

You may want a listing fee so you get a little bit of $ up front so people don't use the site as a free catalog and close their deals off site to avoid final value fees. PayPal is essential. Maybe you can avoid listing fees and sales fees by having sellers "join" the site for a monthly fee that would entitle them to list a set number of auctions.

Good luck!

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Jim

Default Don't understand

why a seller would be worried about sniping, all the seller has to do is set a reserve or start the auction at the min. the seller wants. I think where ebay goes haywire is they charge more for reserves and what amount the auction starts at. To me a good way to run an auction would be just a flat fee for listing an auction and thats it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Mike

I would like an alternative to ebay. My son sells legos on a lego site. No listing fees and all items have no deadline. Fees are paid only when an item sells. That sounds good to me.

I do like extended bidding. Anyone who makes a bid before the orginal deadline is eligible to continue bidding (all others locked out) If a bid was placed in the last minute,the auction would be extended by one minute each time a bid is placed until no bids for a minute. This is more like a real auction and helps the seller get the best price and the site gets additional income.

That's my opinion. Mike
Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Sniping - Last Minute Extension

Quote:
Matt:

Yes, I think that would be a desirable option for me. I don't like being sniped and like the ability to respond.....depending upon how badly I want an item.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Jerry Tate

Default extended bidding

I like the idea of extended bidding as well. There is more strategy involved in an old fashioned auction. As long as bidders want to keep bidding, keep bidding.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
S Gross

I snipe everything, from $5 to $500, for "all" the pro-sniping arguments listed above.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a couple of comments

First of all this has nothing to do with a hobby auction where there has never been any sniping allowed (to my knowledge). This whole subject has to do with an ebay alternative.

The issue we are going to have is that there doesn't seem to be any generic sniping software that works with anything but ebay. Writing a whole new program could be too expensive. Personally, I am with the folks that like sniping, as I said before. Thanks for the comments so far and keep them coming....regards
Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Tom A

Mainly just a low end buyer here. I've never used sniping software, probably never well. It does annoy the heck outta me to see something I bid $50 bucks on jump up to $1000 in the last 30 seconds of bidding - not that I would have ever bid that high, just that I wasted my time even bidding on it.

I understand the concern about shill bidding, I think a small auction house could police it better, especially with a smaller community of users and public bidding history.

I don't think I'd like an auction site that extended the time on bids. Sometimes I wait for an auction I am bidding on to end before I go to bed... I may never get to sleep.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Tony Ooten

Until a couple of months ago, I had been out of the hobby for about 10 years (time flies) so I missed the dawn of the sniping age. I had never even heard of auction sniping until I read about it on this board. Experienced it recently by losing several eBay auctions, but had no idea sniping services even existed.

Anyway this is an interesting thread and I'm still trying to form my opinion on sniping. I'm often annoyed by it, but I understand all the pro-sniping opinions. I have learned that if I ever "really" want an item, my best odds are to decide what I will pay and wait till the last 10 seconds to place the bid. That makes me pro-sniping and the biggest reason I do it is to minimize the time I allow another bidder to decide they can go a little higher.

So, Here are some thoughts for consideration while you guys are developing the auction format.

1. If an auction doesn't end at a fixed time, those of us with lower budgets would have much less chance to win an auction. Personally if I continually lose auctions, I would eventually decide "well I'm never going to win anything here" and I would stop coming. Means less traffic, develops an elitist auction site, and reduces the chance to grow the hobby.

2. Someone wrote that they don't want the fleer and donruss rookies on the site. I understand that on the surface. However, consider this: without 2009 Upper Deck Goudey, I personally would not have found this site or developed an interest in pre-war cards. I happened upon a 34 Goudey Appling on eBay and realized I had a chance to afford it. It's been snowballing a little from there and my pre-war collection has grown from 1 to about 25 in the last 2 months. My point is, to attract the most traffic, and potential buyers, and grow the vintage side of the hobby, you would definitely need to stick with your goal to "emulate eBay (without the idiocy)" by allowing a wide range of cards to be auctioned.

In summary, If I go back and cast a vote, I would look for the option " allow sniping, but not sniping services"

Maybe in the last 2 minutes of an auction, you could require bidders to type in those squiggly numbers or words "that they see in the box" in order to place a bid. That way we could still snipe, but would have to go through the labor of love to do it if we really wanted an item.

Tony

p.s.

added: Maybe you could have a feature to allow bids to be scheduled for entry at a certain time, but not within 1 minute of auction end. Removes the "I can't be at my computer 24/7" requirement, but doesn't leave alot of time for folks to keep bidding just to beat what someone else is willing to pay.

Last edited by tonyo; 09-23-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: thought of something else.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Dustan Hedlin

I selected I would not use a personal auction platform without it. I work nights, so many times when auctions are ending during the week I am not able to be at a computer to bid near the end of the auction. I do not like placing a bid early in an auction, so many times I use a sniping program because of work. If I am home when an auction is ending I more than likely will not use a snipe program, although my computer has frozen up before near the end of an auction, causing me to miss an item I wanted.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Default New Auction service

Leon,

The idea for an auction site is great. I do think you should have a sign-up cost to it to register and to have a luttle "skin in the game". I learned long ago that anything in life that's FREE can easily get abused or taken for granted. If those of us who pay for it (snall fee) then we take mental ownsership of the site so to speak and we'll take better care of it as a "member".

As fara as sniping, it does not matter to me either way. I have never used it, I get the pros and cons. I place bids to what I want to pay and I go away. I win, I win, I lose I lose. Keeps me from over bidding. Cannot tell if shill bids had ever run me up or not but I'll never know.

Good Luck with the project. Best Jeff J
Old 09-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Sniping is great. I snipe most auctions I win on eBay. If sniping is not allowed, I would only bid on items I really need (much as I do now with the "big" auctions).

I think extended bidding works well in an auction with a set ending time for all lots. However, if this is going to be ebay-style with ending times all over the board, then it will be a bit of a mess trying to keep track of which lots you want to follow in extended bidding.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.