NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Default PSA consistency

I'm not going to go into full detail about my disputes with PSA and their horrible inconsistencies. If you are a member of the "other" secret forum, you have read my experiences in the last year. However, this is just ridiculous.

Same card that used to be in an SGC 96 holder:

Grades popped 3/17/14:
22636239 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1968 Topps 342 Ken Johnson

Grades popped 8/4/14:
23128357 MINT 9 1968 Topps 342 Ken Johnson
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Oh no, poppage has moved to Net 54.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 View Post
I'm not going to go into full detail about my disputes with PSA and their horrible inconsistencies. If you are a member of the "other" secret forum, you have read my experiences in the last year. However, this is just ridiculous.

Same card that used to be in an SGC 96 holder:

Grades popped 3/17/14:
22636239 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1968 Topps 342 Ken Johnson

Grades popped 8/4/14:
23128357 MINT 9 1968 Topps 342 Ken Johnson
Why would a person continue to use a service that is so inconsistent? All of my E121 cards are SGC graded not only for the constancy but also for the appearance/ display value of the holders. Personally, my graded cards are only graded for display purposes and I could care less what grades they come back as as long as the card displays well.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Most of what I sub is for resale. For the stuff I sale, PSA consistently gets the higher price.

Just a random estimate but I would guess that 65% of all PSA 9s are in nice enough condition to make it into a PSA 10 holder eventually. Just have to catch the right grader.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Most of what I sub is for resale. For the stuff I sale, PSA consistently gets the higher price.

Just a random estimate but I would guess that 65% of all PSA 9s are in nice enough condition to make it into a PSA 10 holder eventually. Just have to catch the right grader.
I have never understood how a card can be better than Mint, and from what I have seen -- especially with modern cards -- 9 or 10 is essentially arbitrary.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have never understood how a card can be better than Mint, and from what I have seen -- especially with modern cards -- 9 or 10 is essentially arbitrary.
I completely agree with modern cards (1982ish-present). Anything pre-1982ish, the difference between a 9 and a 10 or an 8 and a 9 can be determined by the submitter, or the grader the sub is assigned to or the size of the sub.

Consistency is the only thing I truly like about SGC. You will never see a 6 go to a 9.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Bill - though I've discussed this "theory" before, don't eliminate the possibility that the flip was simply mis-keyed when created. I don't believe that all of the inconsistency in grading is explained by different graders, their techniques, experience, mood, etc. I believe that much can be explained by poor processes and quality control. Just my opinion, of course. Scott
Old 08-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
Bill - though I've discussed this "theory" before, don't eliminate the possibility that the flip was simply mis-keyed when created. I don't believe that all of the inconsistency in grading is explained by different graders, their techniques, experience, mood, etc. I believe that much can be explained by poor processes and quality control. Just my opinion, of course. Scott
That may happen occasionally, but my guess is that it only explains a small percentage of cases of grade changes. I've witnessed many a card go through different grades on the way to a final resting place, some quite different from each other. Part of it is just subjectivity inherent in grading. And people miss tiny defects especially on quick reviews of inexpensive cards that might be picked up the next time, or vice versa.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-06-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default ???

According to CardTarget, the last 1968 Topps Ken Johnson #342 PSA 9 sold for $9.49.

Simple math tells me that crossing over the SGC 96 (and submitting it twice to do so), you probably lost money.

Wise choice going with PSA because their cards sell for more.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Posted in the wrong area and infraction given.

Bill- I think you were the ALT guy Milton too.

If you do anything at all that isn't close to appropriate you will be suspended.

btw, Peter, we won't be having much poppage on this board....trust me.

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Leon that's too bad, because popping subs and great rips make my day.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Leon that's too bad, because popping subs and great rips make my day.
It's just a different way to collect. At least it's still baseball cards.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
According to CardTarget, the last 1968 Topps Ken Johnson #342 PSA 9 sold for $9.49.

Simple math tells me that crossing over the SGC 96 (and submitting it twice to do so), you probably lost money.

Wise choice going with PSA because their cards sell for more.
Hahahaha
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Dan Marke1

First the CU Board banned the people who complained about PSA's poor customer service, and I did not speak out-- Because I no longer used their service.

Then the CU Board banned the people who complained about getting cards damaged during grading, and I did not speak out-- Because I no longer submitted cards for grading by PSA.

Then the CU Board banned the people who complained about PSA grading bad packs, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a pack collector.

Then the CU Board banned me for complaining about how bad PSA's grading skills were --and there was no one left to speak for me.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 08-07-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 AM

Default one day....

do not worry....one day there will be a voice in the hobby on this
Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
do not worry....one day there will be a voice in the hobby on this
Maybe the voice will be the person who paid so much for the psa card with cert#0000000001??
Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 AM

Default robert....

how much was it??
Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Bill- I think you were the ALT guy Milton too.
And again you are wrong. You have the ability to confirm the phone number and IP address. If you really thought that, I wouldn't be here to type this response.

While I'm at it, Bobby can stop with the prank phone calls unless he wants two negs for the 2 cards I bought.

As for crossing to PSA David James or whatever your real name is, wasn't hoping for a straight cross. Was hoping for a 10 which I still may sub again just to prove my point about PSA.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
While I'm at it, Bobby can stop with the prank phone calls unless he wants two negs for the 2 cards I bought.
Bill....I'm not one to sling mud, but YOU SIR, ARE A STONE COLD LIAR!!!! I don't play those stupid games! I am too old for that crap! But ladies and gentleman, GUESS WHO the real prank caller is????? Bill Holler prank called me one afternoon, and also gave me a "courtesy" wake-up call at 4:30 in the morning!! But that is ok......I refuse to resort to your tactics. The only reason you bought those cards from me was for the sole purpose of getting my phone number. You haven't even picked them up and signed for them yet.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
pete ullman

i thinnk it's time for some "time outs" here!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i thinnk it's time for some "time outs" here!
Not for me....I have done nothing wrong. Do you condemn the victim?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You bought two cards from him just to be your usual prick self, no other reason. After you bought them, you requested his contact information from ebay. Bobby has not pranked called you, you prank called him. He wasn't going to even mention any of this on the board because he didn't want to continue the argument.

Quote:
David James or whatever your real name is
Yeah, Bill, you caught me. I'm using a fake name. I even fooled the Texas DPS when they issued me a drivers license.

You continue to prove yourself an idiot over and over. Keep typing, Bill. The more you do, the more foolish you look!

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-07-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I DO NOT condemn victims...I am not a college...nor am I India or the middle east!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Bill....I'm not one to sling mud, but YOU SIR, ARE A STONE COLD LIAR!!!! I don't play those stupid games! I am too old for that crap! But ladies and gentleman, GUESS WHO the real prank caller is????? Bill Holler prank called me one afternoon, and also gave me a "courtesy" wake-up call at 4:30 in the morning!! But that is ok......I refuse to resort to your tactics. The only reason you bought those cards from me was for the sole purpose of getting my phone number. You haven't even picked them up and signed for them yet.
Bob everyone knows you are a liar and everyone knows your childish games. Prank calls started within a few minutes after you read the PM from me with my cell number. Then I get the invoice for the cards I bought WHICH I PICKED UP (lying again) that had my business number written on it. Wonder why I got prank calls from prankdial.com that were sent through my business line?

P.S. Enjoy the negative feedback and star dinging
Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
You bought two cards from him just to be your usual prick self, no other reason. After you bought them, you requested his contact information from ebay. Bobby has not pranked called you, you prank called him. He wasn't going to even mention any of this on the board because he didn't want to continue the argument.
One more time, within minutes of him receiving my cell number, the prank calls start. After 2 days of that, it stopped. I return the favor and within minutes, the prank calls to my phone start again. If it looks like a douche and smells like a douche....

BTW, thanks for the infraction Leon. Not sure how my life will continue. GFYM
Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Can someone please share Bill's eBay ID so I can add him to my blocked bidder list. I don't want to do business with him....ever.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
One more time, within minutes of him receiving my cell number, the prank calls start. After 2 days of that, it stopped. I return the favor and within minutes, the prank calls to my phone start again. If it looks like a douche and smells like a douche....

BTW, thanks for the infraction Leon. Not sure how my life will continue. GFYM
Quoted for posterity's sake.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Always the victim Bob. I think your mommy didn't hug you enough or you have a small penis. That would make me sad too
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Can someone please share Bill's eBay ID so I can add him to my blocked bidder list. I don't want to do business with him....ever.
Which one?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
maverickbowling
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
maverickbowling
Thanks David.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Thanks David.
Don't forget stormtrooper, MiltonBLee and GFYM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Don't forget stormtrooper, MiltonBLee and GFYM.
Or the orignal one...lsutigers1973

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...%3DAllFeedback
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Robert Williams

Bill left me negative feedback. I suggest everyone block him. His sole purpose of buying from me was to leave me a negative feedback.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Bill left me negative feedback. I suggest everyone block him. His sole purpose of buying from me was to leave me a negative feedback.
Do ya think Bobby? Where is Captain Obvious when you need him!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Call eBay and they will probably remove. Show them screen shots of this thread where he threatened you with a negative.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
And again you are wrong. You have the ability to confirm the phone number and IP address. If you really thought that, I wouldn't be here to type this response.

and now you aren't. Bill is gone and I believe a lot of issues on this board. He gets to go to idiot status.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
and now you aren't. Bill is gone and I believe a lot of issues on this board. He gets to go to idiot status.
Thanks a million times over...this was getting very old
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Robert Williams

There are no winners in this. My 100% feedback is now ruined. And someone else is not getting the mental help they need. In the grand scheme of things, it's just cardboard. However, human decency and morals should prevail.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There are no winners in this. My 100% feedback is now ruined. And someone else is not getting the mental help they need. In the grand scheme of things, it's just cardboard. However, human decency and morals should prevail.
Maybe ebay customer service would get rid of the negative if you explained the background and showed them this thread?

Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Robert Williams

Peter. I can only hope. I shipped the item expecting trouble anyway. Ebay assured me they would handle it, as I knew he was out to "get" me. He then proceeded to leave me negative, and now Ebay doesn't recall saying that they would help me out. I wish now I had never shipped him the item.

Bill has been attacking me for years on the PSA forum. He found out my Ebay handle and proceeded to but two items from me, and immediately got my phone number from their "contact your trading partner" link. He proceeded to call me up and hide the number as PSA. He asked me where I wanted a delivery of coke delivered to. When I told him he had the wrong number, he replied "I don't care". That same morning, he crank called me at 4:30 in the morning, with a very disturbing message. I won't repeat it here, but I have it on voicemail. I have NEVER contacted him. I strive to conduct myself professionally, and don't resort to childish tactics like that.

He then got the two items, and proceeded the leave me negative feedback. There was nothing wrong with the order. It was securely packaged, sent quickly, and was exactly what he bid on. I am currently trying to fix this problem as we speak. I recommend others block maverickbowling from bidding on your items.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Good luck. They must have some experience with people leaving negatives out of spite.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM
pete ullman

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Wake up Pete! Lest you become a victim yourself!