NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Ray Ryan / Freebie

Last week I had the distinct honor and privilege to accompany Nancy Foye-Cox for the induction of her grandfather Ray Ryan of T206 fame into our local baseball hall of fame. I thought several of you may be interested as Nancy is an occasional lurker on these boards and Ryan is an interesting historical baseball figure.

Nancy and I also had a few cards produced for the occasion (hand cut). If any board members would like a set (one Ray as a player, one Ray as an executive) please simply pm me your mailing address. His nomination is posted in a subsequent post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryan.jpg (71.9 KB, 370 views)

Last edited by bbcard1; 02-11-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Full nomination text

Nomination for Ray Ryan to the
Salem-Roanoke Baseball Hall of Fame

Introduction
I am a columnist for John Montgomery’s Play by Play magazine. A few months ago, I did an article of players who are featured in the famous T206 baseball card set of 1909-1911 with Southwest Virginia connections and made a comment that Ray Ryan would make an excellent inductee to the Salem-Roanoke Baseball Hall of Fame. I will expand upon the very good reasons for this later in my nomination.
As a result of the article appearing on line, I was contacted unexpectedly by Nancy Foye Cox of Akron, Ohio, who is the granddaughter of Mr. Ryan. She was excited to learn of the Salem-Roanoke Hall of Fame and has encouraged me to submit this nomination. Nancy provided much of the documentation included in the nomination as well as several of the attachments.
This represents a great opportunity to honor a pioneer of professional baseball in Roanoke and Virginia as well as to do something that will be treasured by a family of a deserving nominee.

Who was Ray Ryan
Dates: Player, manager, owner and league organizer and executive 1906-1956

Ray Ryan was a significant minor league baseball player, manager, coach, owner, and executive. He played, managed, served as a team owner and league president, and worked in multiple team front offices. At the major league level, he worked a scout for the Cleveland Indians. He was also a “phantom” player for the 1910 Chicago White Sox. While he never appeared in a major league game, he was listed on the active roster for 16 games. Most likely, Ryan suffered an injury preventing him from reaching big league glory. As a player he was an outstanding defensive catcher playing largely during the deadball era.
He played professionally for 11 seasons appearing in 684 games. He also managed minor league teams for 13 seasons. Perhaps even more significantly, he served as President of the Appalachian, Virginia State League, and Mountain State League, organizing and effectively founding both the Appy and Mountain State Leagues. He was also part owner of the Richmond team for a time as well as a team in Florida.

Ray Ryan’s contributions to baseball in the Roanoke Valley and surrounding area.

Of course, a player’s connection and contribution to local baseball is very important in consideration for the Salem Roanoke Baseball Hall of Fame. Ryan’s history and connection with Roanoke Valley baseball took a meandering course connecting with the Valley and surrounding areas for the better part of four decades.

• He was an active player in both Roanoke and Danville. He also played for Norfolk and Richmond during his career
• He was a key player on the 1909 Virginia State League pennant winning Roanoke Tigers
• He managed three different teams in the Virginia League
• He organized both the Mountain State League and Appalachian Leagues in 1937. He also served as both Leagues’ president.
• The Mountain State League is connected to our region as it fielded teams in Beckley and Bluefield. Its most famous alumnus is Stan Musial.
• The Appalachian League, which can be traced directly back to Mr. Ryan’s efforts as organizer and first President, has fielded teams in Salem, Bluefield, Pulaski, Danville, Wytheville, Martinsville, Princeton and Covington. As you know, the Appalachian League is still in existence today and is a strong part of the foundation of professional baseball. Notable league alumni include Nolan Ryan, David Wright, Mike Schmidt, and Cal Ripken, Jr.
• Ryan was President of the Virginia League from 1939 until 1942. The league included the Roanoke-Salem Friends as well as teams in Lynchburg, Staunton, and Pulaski.
• Ryan played a key role in returning baseball to the Roanoke Valley. In 1939, he was instrumental in bringing Virginia League baseball to Salem. At the urging of Ryan, a last minute entry into the league, the rag tag Salem Wolves opened the season with uniforms borrowed from the Ashland, Kentucky team-complete with a sewn "A" (for Ashland) across the front of the jersey! The Wolves lost their first game on the road, but they did manage to win the next night at still new Municipal Stadium, beating Lynchburg 9-2 before 1000 fans. Although it was last place club, this team did have the distinction of playing the first night game at Municipal on June 27, 1939. The war necessitated the team’s relocation to the larger population base of Roanoke because of gasoline rationing. This team was the precursor to the Roanoke Red Sox.

Love of baseball
• Ryan's baseball career spanned some 60 years and included 41 teams, 22 of which he led. Other that farming and helping build munitions plants in World War II and a couple of stints as a car dealer in Welch, WV, he spent virtually his whole life as a player, manager, executive or owner. While he was successful in all of his life’s endeavors, from the dawn of the 20th century until his death in 1958, there was never a day he wasn’t involved in baseball.

• All 3 of Ray's surviving sons (his first child, Frank, died at 3 of Juvenile Diabetes), Paul "Romaine," Joe, and Jim, were involved in baseball, especially Edward Joseph "Joe" Ryan Sr., who was general manager of the Salem team in 1944, then general manager of the AAA Miami FL Marlins (1956 - 1960), and ended his baseball career as president of the American Association (1971 - 1987), winning the prestigious Warren Giles Award for outstanding minor league executive in December 1986.

I think a short article that appeared in the Miami newspaper upon his death says it all…it is included here in its entirety. I have not been able to identify the writer (no byline on the article) but the tribute is stirring:

Ray Ryan Loved Baseball
Down through the years, I have never known anyone who loved baseball more than Ray Ryan, who died Friday night. He was the father of Joe Ryan, (Miami) Marlin general manager and it is only natural the latter was attracted to a sport to which his dad had devoted his life.
Mr. Ryan started his baseball career back in 1903 as a catcher and since then he had served in every capacity, front office and even as league president. In recent years, he had been only a fan and he was one of the most pleasant men I have ever known. He made many contributions to the sport.
The last active season as a player for Mr. Ryan came in 1922 with Syracuse of the International League. He made his last three appearances in the Syracuse lineup as a pinch-hitter and each time hit safely, twice off southpaws. This is unusual in that he was a left-handed hitter. One hit was off Lefty Grove.

Recognitions and accomplishments
• President of three professional baseball leagues
• Successful manager including winning the Virginia League pennant in 1916
• In his obituary (1958) obtained from the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, he was called, “One of the greatest pioneers of professional baseball”
• It is important to recognize the timing of Ryan’s contribution to baseball. Without Ryan’s commitment and persistence during the dark days of the Great Depression and World War II, the very face of professional baseball may well have been altered. It was his efforts the kept Virginia and North Carolina a hub of professional baseball. His passion and commitment to the game and to keeping it centralized in our region simply cannot be overlooked. While he played across America, it is clear that he considered his roots to be in our region and his influence extends to towns in our region today.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:46 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Great post, and great story. Thanks for posting this!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Rich Klein

Id love a set

Rich
Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
qualitycards

Nice read about Ray Ryan
Here is his T206, (image from an eBay sale)

Old 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Great post and cool cards

Thanks for the great post! The cards look awesome especially the one with Ray Ryan as a player.

Patrick
Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Barry Arnold

Default ray ryan

I've loved his T206 card for many years.
Thanks so much for sharing such an amazing and captivating story.
These wonders of the game of baseball are what keep me attached to vintage baseball card and photo collecting.
all the best,
Barry
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

Received the cards. Thanks! I thought this great post deserved a bump also.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Still have a few left. Just zap me an email or pm with your mailing address if you'd like a set.