NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2002, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: jay behrens 

Any opinions on this lot?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1846795060

Jay

Old 07-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Bill Cornell

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/67634627?aucview=closed

I'll bet this is the same phony lot...

Old 07-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: leon

They are too evenly toned on the back. These cards don't generally tone like that but even more telling is the fronts "whiteness" is inconsistent with the corner wear. The front color is also inconsistent with the color of the toning on the back. WARNING, WARNING WILL ROGERS........in person I think I could tell in 2 seconds for sure....regards

Old 07-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Robert

Especially since the two N29s the seller claims to have are the exact two that the Yahoo seller (bbluegrassboy, attifind, etc.) has in the lot Bill referenced.

However, this eBay seller has had positive feedbacks since 1999. Perhaps he or she was the buyer of one of these bogus lots and is trying to pass it along to another...

Either way, it's never any good when the buyer stresses no returns and then says s/he will be away and perhaps won't get back in time to answer questions!

Interesting that cardsold bid one the eBay lot, however...

Old 07-27-2002, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Leon's right.
I have never seen this set look so bright white from the front with the evenly soiled backs. Way to go Leon, you can now smell fakes through the computer. Have you developed a new smell test software?

be well brian

Old 07-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

if you read the feedback of the seller on the link scott provided, it is noted that the seller also sells under bbluegrassboy and also have numerous negatives selling fakes. The feedback on the scott link also shows that they tried pawn off the same lot last month.

Jay

Old 07-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: MW

It seems as if some corners have been clipped in an effort to make them look artificially rounded. Without a larger image, it is impossible to properly judge authenticity, but I would proceed with extreme caution.

Old 07-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Anonymous

I looked at scott's link and originally checkout only the seller's feedback since it is -2. Before I closed the window, I decided to check and see who used the the yahoo buy it now and what their feedback was. The funny thing is, this same exact lot was sold to atticfind on June 19th. Now vivianmat buys it back from atticfind.

Things that make you go, hmmm.......

Jay

Old 07-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Steve Tuttle

I've been away from the vintage collectibles hobby for about 10 years and I just stumbled across this discussion group a few weeks ago. I think I've devoured everything here and even read some of the stuff twice. Great great bulletin board. Reminds me of why I used to love collecting this stuff so much.

The last card I purchased was a Cobb T3 about 10 years ago. About three months later my daughter was born and my discretionary income went bye-bye. Nothing made me happier in those days than when the mailman brought me a new copy of The Old Judge from Mr. Lipset. I think it's time to dip my toe in the waters again. What's this eBay thing I keep reading about? (A little joke)

Steve

Old 07-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

I too had gone over 10 years without buying a single card, but thanks to my brother, he sucked me back into this addiction, and now I am like a drunk that has fallen off the wagon.

Not that I am complaining or anything

Jay

Old 07-27-2002, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Count me in guys!
7 yrs. out of the hobby.

Don't know what I like the most... Buying stuff or reading the board... Addictive!

Old 07-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Anthony

Made it over 20 years between selling all my cards at a show in Anaheim and winning my first lot on ebay. On the up side the 'net has made it much easier finding stuff I would rarely, if ever, see at shows. On the down side its much easier buying stuff I would rarely, if ever, see at shows.
At least cards are doing better than tech stocks.

Old 07-28-2002, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Lee- 10 years without buying a card? I know for a fact you have been going to Wal-Mart and buying Topps cards every week during that time period

Jay

Old 07-28-2002, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Having not been a participant in the message board thing I appreciate the attention I TO also from time to time neglect to look at things closely for instance the A&G lot HOWEVER I would like to thank the individuals that do bring this crap to my attention. Even after 20 plus years of tobacco I do tend to make a rare mistake/observation this particular scan did not come through all that well thanks again!!!!
Always interested in acquiring "quality" 19th century items......please emails only as I previously mentioned I never read these the link was sent to me.

Old 07-28-2002, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

20 years and you fail to check and/or notice that the cards are fake, yet we can tell they are fake from a scan? Something doesn't make sense here. and how do they explain that same scan is being used for numerous differnt auctions by supposedly different people.

Jay

Old 07-28-2002, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I too fall into the 10 year run. Minnesota has so few vintage cards a vailable at shows. I ran a card store for 3 1/2 years and then no contact until I ventured on to ebay and my savings got drained , beat the hell out of putting money in the stock market. I ended up selling much of what I bought at a profit to make my down payment on my house, it's so nice to have space. One day I will complete a T202 set!!!!!!!!!

Does nayone have one of these reprints to post on the board, these reprints are why I have stayed away from buying one.

Lee

Old 07-28-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Robert

Cardsold was a bidder, not the seller. He wasn't trying to foist one over on buyers. He probably never noticed the other lot on Yahoo. And, if he did win this lot probably would have realized in a second the cards were fake.

And, most imporatntly, although I don't know him, I'll bet that -- like the rest of us -- he likely wouldn't try to pass this stuff off on someone else if he got taken...

Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I know this guy and I can't believe he was serious about the lot. He's got too much experience for that.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I often put a bid in on stuff just so it shows up on my bidding page and I can see how the item progresses/ends. I'm sure that's all he was doing.