NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Marc

Default Houston

It's no fun being in the Houston area right now. Major rain delay. Does anyone have any Houston/Galveston items to show?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210-3.jpg (75.7 KB, 730 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Hope you pull through ok. Lives are a lot more important than cards. But damm those cards are nice.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Rob

I'm here as well...With a 5:30 flight out of Bush that's still showing as "on time". We'll see about that.

We've been spared for the most part down near Atascocita/Humble. You'd never guess that from watching the Weather Channel.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Marc

Default Houston

Yeah... hard to imagine any flights leaving. I'm doing my part by just staying out of the way... looking at baseball stuff on the computer.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
It's no fun being in the Houston area right now. Major rain delay. Does anyone have any Houston/Galveston items to show?
Being from Houston (now near Dallas, far north) I remember the flooding and chaos with hurricanes and high waters. We canoed down Braeswood Blvd (I used to live off of it, the same street as the JCC). That was 35-40 yrs ago and I doubt it is any better today, especially by the looks of it. Ironically I was born on Sept 5, 1961...The date of the last category 4+ hurricane to hit Houston before this one. Wishing all people and animals safety in your crisis...

from wiki...
The third named storm and first Category 5 hurricane of the 1961 Atlantic hurricane season, Carla developed from an area of squally weather in the southwestern Caribbean Sea on September 3. Initially a tropical depression, it strengthened slowly while heading northwestward, and by September 5, the system was upgraded to Tropical Storm Carla. About 24 hours later, Carla was upgraded to a hurricane.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:20 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Being from Houston (now near Dallas, far north) I remember the flooding and chaos with hurricanes and high waters. We canoed down Braeswood Blvd (I used to live off of it, the same street as the JCC). That was 35-40 yrs ago and I doubt it is any better today, especially by the looks of it.
You would be correct....front CNN page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170827105313-63-hurricane-harvey-0827-large-tease.jpg (33.6 KB, 704 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

To all in Houston and the areas impacted by Harvey--please be safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. My family and I lived in Houston from 1979-86 so we know what the area is like.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:29 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Has totally sucked. Streets surrounding us were knee to waist deep water and endless amounts of tornado warnings requiring us to take shelter, so the kids just parked it in the downstairs hall. Lost power at 4am.

Didn't flood our house but we're expecting a lot more rain tonight and tomorrow.

Sucks.

Last edited by Thromdog; 08-28-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Bingo got canceled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.36.58 AM.jpg (15.6 KB, 629 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Marc

Default Flooding

That sucks, Jeff. Hope it lightens up.

We've had the nonstop rain and tornado warnings, but the streets are ok. Keeping an eye on the tiny creek behind my house that sounds like Niagara Falls. School is cancelled into next week for my two kids. Possible Lord of the Flies situation.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM
R Dixon

I live in the area and it sucks right now. Bad. Luckily there are a lot of fishermen in the area and people have been very helpful with their boats. There were a lot of boat rescues today. I've got a stranded family of five at my house right now. They left their house with the kids, the dog, and a duffle bag of wet clothes. I hate seeing anyone in such distress, but it feels good to pitch in and help out. Luckily we don't have any water in my house as of now so at least we're dry and we've got power. Also a bit lucky, they don't drink Bud Light so my storm supply is looking strong. Could be worse.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:54 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

All you guys stay safe, you are in my families prayers.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
All you guys stay safe, you are in my families prayers.

Thinking dry thoughts for everyone experiencing Mother Nature's bad side.

Hang in there!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-28-2017, 01:59 PM
Kyle May

Glad to hear y'all are hanging in there and all, but let's focus on the important question here. Have you done the responsible thing and moved your card collections to high ground?

In all seriousness, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by Mother Nature. I thought Mother Nature was a ***** in the World Series when she caused a rain delay that allowed the Cubs to regroup and gain momentum back. I can't imagine having the actual issues (not a stupid sports issue) y'all are having.

I think I speak for everyone on Net54 when I say if there's anything we can do as a forum community, even if it's as simple as saying a prayer, let us know.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

With my dad's job with the airlines we lived in Miami , Houston , and Tampa (in Tampa we lived 200 yards from Tampa Bay ) . We lived in Houston when Hurricane Beulah hit. I have been through 13 hurricanes of varying strengths and durations and I am always amazed at their power and their power to destroy and their ability to linger after they pass through an area.
My prayers are with all of you and my friends there. I hope dry weather and receding waters occur soon and all your families, friends , pets , property and , of course, collections are safe as well.
Collections become kind of secondary in importance at times like this.
However as an aside I hope all of you have your collections insured as you do your house and other property and if not that you will do it soon. Trust me that policy can come in handy .
Old 08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
To all in Houston and the areas impacted by Harvey--please be safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. My family and I lived in Houston from 1979-86 so we know what the area is like.
ditto. I lived in Houston from 1980 to 1999. It is crazy how water and concrete are not friends. Floods happen quickly and frequently. Stay safe and stay dry to all y'all back home!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

I was away at my trailer from Thursday until Sunday and never heard anything about this until I arrived home Sunday evening.

Like has been said, I hope everyone gets through this as painless and as quickly as possible.

Stay safe, stay away from downed hydro lines and let the pro's/trained people do their job.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Glad to hear y'all are hanging in there and all, but let's focus on the important question here. Have you done the responsible thing and moved your card collections to high ground?

In all seriousness, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by Mother Nature. I thought Mother Nature was a ***** in the World Series when she caused a rain delay that allowed the Cubs to regroup and gain momentum back. I can't imagine having the actual issues (not a stupid sports issue) y'all are having.

I think I speak for everyone on Net54 when I say if there's anything we can do as a forum community, even if it's as simple as saying a prayer, let us know.
I did as a matter of fact move about 500 pennants to the attic today. Lake Houston grows closer by the minute.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:21 PM
John Gregory

Question to any and all that have lived through floods before. All my cards are now in an evacuated house (that has at least 6" of water inside) that I cannot get back in to for who knows how long. All my sets from the 60's and 70's are in binders, all my early to mid 1900 cards are in sleeves. All the cards are elevated and thankfully wont be submerged in water. But if I can't get back into the house within the next 2-3 days (very likely) how probable is it that I will be dealing with mold getting onto the cards? Assuming that I can get to the cards before any weather related damage occurs, is there anything I should do to ensure that no damage will occur.
This storm sucks. And it is still raining as I type this. Ugh.

--John
Old 08-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Mike

Default Ahh ... *that* memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Being from Houston (now near Dallas, far north) I remember the flooding and chaos with hurricanes and high waters. We canoed down Braeswood Blvd (I used to live off of it, the same street as the JCC). That was 35-40 yrs ago and I doubt it is any better today, especially by the looks of it. Ironically I was born on Sept 5, 1961...The date of the last category 4+ hurricane to hit Houston before this one. Wishing all people and animals safety in your crisis...

Same wishes for safety to all here - my parents are still in the Clear Lake City area and stayed put. 28" and counting - those streets are still passable with no issues as of early this evening.

Hey Leon, I suspect you're talking about either tropical storm Claudette or Danielle - came ashore and sat for a couple days in the late 70's if I remember right. Alvin (and maybe Dickinson) were a complete mess after that...
Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
Question to any and all that have lived through floods before. All my cards are now in an evacuated house (that has at least 6" of water inside) that I cannot get back in to for who knows how long. All my sets from the 60's and 70's are in binders, all my early to mid 1900 cards are in sleeves. All the cards are elevated and thankfully wont be submerged in water. But if I can't get back into the house within the next 2-3 days (very likely) how probable is it that I will be dealing with mold getting onto the cards? Assuming that I can get to the cards before any weather related damage occurs, is there anything I should do to ensure that no damage will occur.
This storm sucks. And it is still raining as I type this. Ugh.

--John
John- I have no idea about what you can do, but am hoping that it all turns out ok for you. If you think one of us in the Houston area can somehow help, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 AM
R Dixon

I don't really know either John, but I would think that taking all of your cards out of whatever sleeves they are in and letting the breathe a little might be helpful. Good luck to everyone. Also, if you don't have one, get an insurance policy for your collection once this is all over.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
I live in the area and it sucks right now. Bad. Luckily there are a lot of fishermen in the area and people have been very helpful with their boats. There were a lot of boat rescues today. I've got a stranded family of five at my house right now. They left their house with the kids, the dog, and a duffle bag of wet clothes. I hate seeing anyone in such distress, but it feels good to pitch in and help out. Luckily we don't have any water in my house as of now so at least we're dry and we've got power. Also a bit lucky, they don't drink Bud Light so my storm supply is looking strong. Could be worse.
That's incredibly kind of you. Did you even know this family before you let them stay with you? I love the way the people of Texas are so willing to help their neighbors. We will be praying for all of the people affected by the hurricane.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:27 PM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
That's incredibly kind of you. Did you even know this family before you let them stay with you? I love the way the people of Texas are so willing to help their neighbors. We will be praying for all of the people affected by the hurricane.
Yeah my twelve year old is best friends with one of the kids. We just met the rest of the family, but we weren't complete strangers. It's getting real crazy right now. There are hundreds of people a few miles away in Baytown that are trying to get to dry land, but there are only about ten boats able to get to them. There are convoys of rednecks driving around with truck beds full of people and animals looking for places to take them. All the local churches and bars are getting turned into shelters. It's not just Texans helping out. There have been hundreds of trucks/flat bottoms coming over from Louisiana. Those swamp boats that duck hunters use are very efficient in this climate.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Best wishes to David James who I know is from the area and all others as this drastic event continues and hopefully winds down soon.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Best wishes to everyone affected. Please be safe.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Bob Davies

Our flood in 2013 was bad, but nothing compared to what we are seeing in Houston. Some friends and co-workers there are safe, while others have their houses flooded.

Thoughts and prayers for all, hoping there is no Round 2 for you guys.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Best wishes to David James who I know is from the area and all others as this drastic event continues and hopefully winds down soon.
Thanks, Peter. I'm high in dry in my girlfriend's apartment (she lives on the 4th floor). The neighborhood in which I live took on a lot of water, but I think most of the homes stayed dry. I got that info from our neighborhood website.
It may be a few days before I can get back in there. The main concern now is the rivers cresting and coming over the levees. Please pray for those affected. Please keep in prayer Jeff (Thromdog), Nate (NateMack) and all others from this area. Glad to hear from the ones who have checked in and stated they're ok.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Jimmy

Stay safe TX!

Jimmy
Old 08-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I know what they are going thru in Texas, I dealt with Sandy in Sayreville Nj , a little over a week with no electric and flooding , and last year in North Carolina with hurricane Mathew dealing with the flooding and washed out roads and bridges. The infrastructure of the road system and ditches are very weak in the south
Old 08-29-2017, 05:22 PM
David M.

Quote:
Yeah my twelve year old is best friends with one of the kids. We just met the rest of the family, but we weren't complete strangers. It's getting real crazy right now. There are hundreds of people a few miles away in Baytown that are trying to get to dry land, but there are only about ten boats able to get to them. There are convoys of rednecks driving around with truck beds full of people and animals looking for places to take them. All the local churches and bars are getting turned into shelters. It's not just Texans helping out. There have been hundreds of trucks/flat bottoms coming over from Louisiana. Those swamp boats that duck hunters use are very efficient in this climate.
All of my wife's aunts and uncles live in Baytown. The last we heard they hadn't gotten any water backed up into their houses, but the water had risen to the end of the street that two of the aunts live on. Hope they aren't part of the group needing to be evacuated.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:00 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Bingo got canceled.
Am I the only one who found this incredibly rude and distasteful?
Pathetic that you would mock a group of people who were probably scared out of their minds. Idiot.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Very rude and distasteful.

Quote:
Patgetic that you would mock a group of people who were probably scared out of their minds. Idiot.
I think idiot is too nice a word in this case, but I'm going to leave it alone. On another note, the story had a happy ending...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/us/iyw...rnd/index.html

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-29-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

You're right David, idiot is too soft.

I am happy the group was rescued, saw it on the news this morning. However, for that picture to be mocked is absolutely pathetic.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM
David M.

Quote:
It's ironic you posted this yesterday. As soon as I got home my wife was upset and said that her aunt and uncle in Baytown had to evacuate. The water was too shallow to bring in a boat, so they had to wade out of their neighborhood carrying their dogs. They got out to the highway where they caught a ride in the back of a dump truck. It was pouring and they were soaked, be they were able to stay with another one of my wife's aunts outside of Baytown. They don't know if any water got into the house or not. The water was up to the door and was expected to keep rising, so they are just hoping they won't be returning to a wet mess.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Am I the only one who found this incredibly rude and distasteful?.
No, You're not. Incredibly insensitive and immature.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It's ironic you posted this yesterday. As soon as I got home my wife was upset and said that her aunt and uncle in Baytown had to evacuate. The water was too shallow to bring in a boat, so they had to wade out of their neighborhood carrying their dogs. They got out to the highway where they caught a ride in the back of a dump truck. It was pouring and they were soaked, be they were able to stay with another one of my wife's aunts outside of Baytown. They don't know if any water got into the house or not. The water was up to the door and was expected to keep rising, so they are just hoping they won't be returning to a wet mess.
Hopefully not. The east side of Baytown got hit so hard and so fast that everyone was being evacuated. I've talked to a few people in the area that have gotten back to their homes and the results are mixed. It is a mess for sure. I ended up taking on a bit before it was all said and done. I'm just taking a break now from pulling up floors and cutting out sheet rock. The smell is awful. My truck got a fair amount of water in it too but it's running fine. Some of the electronics are acting skittish, but I'm hoping it'll dry out. Luckily my sister is bringing over some deer sausage and steaks this evening. We're going to relax and grill outside.

On the card side I've been asking a lot of favors. I normally don't sell cards, but I've had several lots on ebay ending within the last day or two and into tomorrow. Everyone's been understanding so far, but the cards obviously won't ship as fast as they normally would. Also have some sellers holding cards for me until the mail starts running again.

Buffs 3.jpg
Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Pathetic that you would mock a group of people who were probably scared out of their minds. Idiot.
It was so stupid, I didn't want to acknowledge it by commenting. Glad others felt the same way. This guy should be banned for being an insensitive moron.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 08-30-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:31 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
It was so stupid, I didn't want to acknowledge it by commenting. Glad others felt the same way. This guy should be banned for being an insensitive moron.
Agreed. Though, I'm sure being a complete asshole isn't a "ban-able" offense.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Scott Hunter

As a resident of Katy, TX (west Houston) we experienced non-stop rain fall like you could not imagine. I am fortunate to live just far enough west of the Addicks Reservoir to have escaped the flood waters. Although the rain has stopped, thousands of homes are currently being flooded by two reservoirs located in Katy/West Houston. This is a result of excess rain waters still filling the reservoirs from upstream, their levees overflowing and flood waters being released from the reservoirs by the Army Corp of Engineers. There are thousands of families across Texas that lost everything and donations of any amount to the American Red Cross would be greatly appreciated. FYI; That distasteful photo is an actual photo taken of residents in a nursing home in Dickinson, TX. The entire town of Dickinson was evacuated in order to escape the flood waters. Thanks for all the prayers and concerns for the residents in Texas.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Scott,

Glad to hear you're in the clear and I think it goes without saying that the whole country at this point is thinking of all the people down there.

I know that picture and the nursing home story went viral, was a huge topic on the local news here in Mass.

Can only hope for a quick recovery.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Bob Davies

Best to you Scott. I'm including a link to an article on a former resident of Katy, who is expressing his thoughts.

Take care...

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...-flooded-texas