NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
David Kathman

Default Profile of a card dealer in 1960

In 1960, there were four main hobby publications for collectors of baseball cards and other types of cards: Card Collectors Bulletin, edited by Charles Bray; Sport Hobbyist, then edited by Laverne Isenberg, which was about all kinds of sports collecting but had a lot of stuff about cards; Card Comments; and The Card Collector. The latter two were monthlies published by two of the biggest card dealers in the country (Gordon Taylor, and Woody Gelman's The Card Collector's Company, respectively), and were mainly aimed at kids and teenagers, to judge by the letters and reader profiles they published. (CCB and Sport Hobbyist were bimonthly and aimed at older collectors.)

Card Comments, edited by Taylor, started out in July 1958 as a small 5.75" x 8.5" pamphlet, but it grew pretty quickly, and with the January 1960 issue it expanded to 8.5" x 11" pages. To celebrate the new size, Taylor wrote a front-page editorial about his business as a card dealer, and on the second page printed pictures of some of his staff (including the chief card sorter) and the office. It's pretty interesting (to me, at least) as a snapshot of one of the major card dealers at a time when the hobby was growing, but mainly through kids; it was still seen as an odd thing for an adult to collect cards, though a few hardy souls were advancing knowledge, and Jefferson Burdick was working full-time to paste his collection in albums at the Met.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 AM

I wonder how many people have cards that at one point were handled by Hernan, chief card sorter, or Girl Friday Mary?

The photo interrupting the text on page one sure makes it a challenging read.
Thanks for the past blast.

Brian
Old 05-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They had over 2 million cards in stock. That is a lot of cards. And I wonder what the qualifications were to be a "Chief" card sorter? Did you have to be an "associate or junior" card sorter first?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They had over 2 million cards in stock. That is a lot of cards. And I wonder what the qualifications were to be a "Chief" card sorter? Did you have to be an "associate or junior" card sorter first?
He wears a tie. No t-shirts for the chief sorter!😉
...whatever I want
Old 05-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
He wears a tie. No t-shirts for the chief sorter!😉
I would be an associate forever.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM
octavio ranzola

leon where do you find these things great article
Old 05-03-2016, 08:32 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Filing cabinets full

2,000,000 cards..this was in 1960. All pre 1959 cards.
The value in today's dollars.....geesh.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
leon where do you find these things great article
It was David who posted it. I have trunks of old hobby pubs but so far David is keeping us busy (and it's appreciated).

Some more of mine will come out soon.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It was David who posted it. I have trunks of old hobby pubs but so far David is keeping us busy (and it's appreciated).

Some more of mine will come out soon.
I have a ton more of this stuff going back to the 1940s, and have only been posting a few things that seem like they would be of interest to the board. The tip of the proverbial iceberg. I will keep posting as time allows. Leon, I appreciate all the old hobby stuff you've posted, too, especially the Card Collectors' Bulletins that I don't have (which I've saved electronically from your posts).
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I have a ton more of this stuff going back to the 1940s, and have only been posting a few things that seem like they would be of interest to the board. The tip of the proverbial iceberg. I will keep posting as time allows. Leon, I appreciate all the old hobby stuff you've posted, too, especially the Card Collectors' Bulletins that I don't have (which I've saved electronically from your posts).
As we both know, in this part of the hobby (collecting old pubs), the further back we go the more rare they are. I have some more 1930s letters to post and lots more pubs too. I love this stuff and will post more In time....