NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default How to spot fake t206 cards?

I was curious as to how you can determine if a t206 card is a fake. I recently was offered two particular raw t206 cards, and I'm not sure whether to take the deal or not. I've included images of the two cards. I've never owned a t206, as I generally collect Jackie Robinson. Any help is appreciated!!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Shaun Fyffe

From everything I've found... the Walter Johnson Hands at Chest card is a Piedmont 350, but this one is a Piedmont 150? Definite fake?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Frank Wakefield

I suggest you buy 3 or 4 real T206s, try to get 2 or 3 different backs. Don't get slabbed cards.

Once they're in hand, then study them. You'll ascertain how they feel. Notice the font style and color for the caption on the front. Look at the difference between the finish of the front of the card and the back. Notice the color of ink used for the ad on the back. Look at that frame around the color on the front. Feel the thickness of the card. If you get a black light, and then illuminate a genuine card, it won't fluoresce, there are no brighteners in that paper for the UV rays to hit; many reprints will fluoresce. Go to some card shows and ask to see some ungraded T206s. I think there are still dealers who have them loose, not in holders.

After you've handled several, seen a bunch, you'll develop a feel for what they're supposed to look like. Then, look at a few reprints at a show, to see what those look like.

You could get a small black light / flash light for about $15.... well worth the purchase price if you're going to be buying old cards.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Sounds good Frank. Thanks. I wasn't ready to get into them quite yet, but I found a pretty good deal on these. I'm skeptical, particularly because I have yet to see a Walter Johnson hands at chest Piedmont 150. I guess I might pass on them before spending over $100.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Craig Wright

The Johnson is definitely fake. Johnson Glove-at-Chest is a 350-460 series card, thus it won't be found with a P150 back. Also the back scan does not show a factory # at the bottom.

Best Regards,
Craig
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Craig, thanks for the help. I am glad I trusted my instincts, and passed on the deal. It also looks like the centering on the front and on the back are entirely different.

Thanks again.. helped save me a few dollars that I can use to buy more cards. I think I might pick up a few t206 at the White Plains NY show this weekend to gain a little familiarity with the cards.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

The front and back centering being different is not unusual.

The wrong series and no factory designation is the big tip off.

Steve B
Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Mike Biggans

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=390652283288

No factory designation example.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I had a cheat sheet I created in the eighties and early nineties when I worked in a local card shop. There are plenty of great resources but I'd bet these will get you by:

1. Look for gloss. Gloss on a T-206 is either shellac or fake
2. Hold the card to the light and if you can see the reverse image then it's fake.
3. Name and Team Letters should be a brownish color and not black. This is where having a known authentic card to compare against is valuable.
4. Use a loop and look for the dots. Reference card is great here too.
5. The color within the frame tends to roll off and usually a little bit over the image frame.

*Some have a clear scratch or rub mark on the lower back of the card that said "reprint". You can also determine many by front back combo but if you're new to T-206 then that's less valuable to you right now. If you follow 1-3 above you'll be fine in most cases. Just don't spend an arm and a leg without knowing for sure.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Mike Biggans

So you would agree or disagree with the Piedmont factory stamping missing on the back is considered a reprint? Essentially do ALL authentic Piedmont backs have a factory indicator?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Sean Costello

It looks fake to me.
1- There is no Factory number
2- There seems to be a shiny area at the bottom on the back. It looks like something was removed, perhaps the word REPRINT.
3- The corner wear looks way too uniform, so it was probably done to make the card appear old and worn.
4- There seems to be no stains or dirt or discoloration or creases of any kind. Very unusual in a card showing that much corner wear.

I would definitly stay away from this one.

Last edited by Sean; 09-01-2013 at 03:44 AM.