NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Patrick N.

Default If you could restructure Net54...

How would you do it? For example, to me lumping Basketball/Hockey just doesn't make sense to me...Same with "Postwar and Watercooler"--makes it sounds like post-war collectors are loony tooners and should share space/air with the random thoughts of the watercooler peeps. Sorry Leon, Hope I don't add extra work to your plate!

Last edited by mintacular; 05-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Nothing

I wouldn't change a thing...those categories you mention are most likely grouped because individually they just don't generate enough traffic.

If I had a wishlist, it would be that there were more things for sale. That feeling is amplified every weekend when I waste hours looking on FleaBay trying to find a real auction on something I am interested in...oh well

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Patrick N.

Default Okay

OK, surely we should just group things together based on interest. We could have a fly-fishing, southern bbq recipes, middle-east peace suggestion category lumped together. Based on your comments, that while these subjects have no logical connection they are similar in that they have limited/niche participation!

Last edited by mintacular; 05-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Im new....

Im blow away with the site. I love the ease of jumping back and forth. It really user friendly. My one wish....
is that most of the photos would be retained in pages---so that people can look through the archives and enjoy pictures still on the pages...instead of most all the pictures being removed or deleted
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Trevor Hocking

Dude really????? Come on seems like you are trying to pick a fight here. I know I don't post much here but I read everyday and you really start a lot of threads and this one is just stupid!!! IMO is that how you say that in the internet land???? The reason I say stupid (again IMO) this site is what it is and leave it at that.

Trevor Hocking
Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Two words....

"Open Bar"

Cheers,

John
Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 AM

Two sections just just for T206. Both under the main forum and the B/S/T.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 AM
D@vid Fel@

I would restructure the site so people are not allowed to post multiple inane threads under the assumption that if they do not post three times a day the board will no longer exist.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
I would restructure the site so people are not allowed to post multiple inane threads under the assumption that if they do not post three times a day the board will no longer exist.
+2

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Bill

The only complaint I ever had with Net54, and wanted changed, was when for awhile every time you loaded a page you had to scroll past all the cards for sale listed by year to get to the posts. But that got fixed and to me there isnt much else wrong with it. I love it!! Thanks Leon! Great job!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Two words....

"Open Bar"

Cheers,

John
I'm in favor of that idea. As long as there's no tequila. that just makes people want to fight.

SteveB
Expecting the pro Tequila flames any minute now......
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Default my idea

I tried to get Leon to do this awhile ago. I suggested a forum for the card of the day where a random person picked by Leon each morning would have 24 hours to post their card of the day which we would all discuss. If they didnt post within 24 hours the ghost of Ty Cobb would spike them in their sleep.

Cobb ghost = willing participant
Leon= wet blanket
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Basketball and Hockey probably should be separated, but there's not exactly alot available pre-1980, so keeping them lumped seasonally as the "winter sports" is fine. If you were to drop the pre-80 tag, then I'd say they probably should be separated.

Now as far as an idea for a change that I could think of, would be to add wrestling to the boxing category.. Basically, Boxing/Wrestling/Martial Arts would be lumped into one category as the "fighting sports".
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I would restructure the site based on IQ.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
David Str@@te

You could look at people's posts, and if more than 1 in 5 were condescending, rude, inflammatory, or just plain off-putting, they would automatically have this avatar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (2.7 KB, 324 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
I would restructure the site based on IQ.
well i guess I won't be able to access much of the site then!

Since the focus of the board is on pre-war baseball cards, I think its fine that postwar, hockey, football, flyfishing, watercooler, and food recipes are lumped together. They should be thankful they were even given space on the forum!

p.s. Great job Leon!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Barry Sloate

If I ran Net54 I would ban...everybody.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Dave

I vote for the addition of a Net54 full contact Dodgeball League to be formed ASAP.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Bruce Babcock

I would arrange all posts alphabetically by height.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Alan U

I really don't have any qualms with the way the site is right now, but the only suggestion I would have is to make a separate section that would include both:

"grading company discussions such as "who's better, PSA or SGC""

"ebay related discussions"

I really have no interest in reading about the above topics being discussed over and over, and I bet moving them to a separate sections would eliminate a lot of the matters discussed over and over.

-Alan
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM
David Bender

No offense but I would keep posts like these off of the card forums. Isn't this what the watercooler is for?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bender View Post
No offense but I would keep posts like these off of the card forums. Isn't this what the watercooler is for?
I agree.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Pat simply asked a question. Why roast him about it? He and I are both pretty new here and weren’t around in the old days. However, from what I understand, this board was restructured a couple of years ago. So, my question to those who criticized Pat is, if the board can undergo a restructure once, why not again? I’m not saying it needs to be, I’m just asking the question. There were probably those who thought the boards were fine back then, just as there are those that think the boards are fine right now. I love the boards and think they are fine the way they are, but if some people have thoughts on how the boards could be improved, shouldn’t they be heard - even if the suggestions aren’t implemented?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM
David Bender

I'm certainly not criticizing anybody. Leon set up the Board so that the Homepage is also the Pre-War baseball forum. That makes sense in that Pre-War is the primary purpose of the site; however, the proximity of the forum makes it easy to post OT here.

At many forum sites the home page is a list of all the forums on the site. IMHO this would help keep posts in the correct forum, if anyone cares about that. It would also help traffic in the other threads, which I believe Leon has posted about in the past. Members can bookmark the Pre-War forum (or any forum) and bypass the home page; newbies will get an overview of all Net54 has to offer before jumping into the threads.

I love Net54 either way and although I don't post much and am mostly post-war, I visit this forum every time I hit the site b/c the content is so good. Thanks to Leon and everyone who contributes.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I/we will always listen

Not much to say on the issue right now but I will say that I/we will always listen to thoughts. Greg S. recommended a change a few years ago that we implemented and it helped everyone. (having a separate BST section for ebay and auctions)

I also don't think this is that bad of a place to discuss this issue. Most things (O/T) in moderation aren't that bad. The board is organized better than it used to be imho.....Except for maybe putting the water cooler section below the post sports section, which no one has mentioned, I haven't seen anything mentioned that would be greatly improved with a change (again, imo).

I do very much like the idea of full contact dodge-ball though. Oh the memories....(now THAT is for the water cooler section)....regards
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not much to say on the issue right now but I will say that I/we will always listen to thoughts. Greg S. recommended a change a few years ago that we implemented and it helped everyone. (having a separate BST section for ebay and auctions)

I also don't think this is that bad of a place to discuss this issue. Most things (O/T) in moderation aren't that bad. The board is organized better than it used to be imho.....Except for maybe putting the water cooler section below the post sports section, which no one has mentioned, I haven't seen anything mentioned that would be greatly improved with a change (again, imo).

I do very much like the idea of full contact dodge-ball though. Oh the memories....(now THAT is for the water cooler section)....regards
Any thoughts on the possibility of adding wresting to the boxing category, or maybe being given it's own category? There's alot of interest in wrestling cards, new or old. I also think that lumping them together could possibly open up many of the wrestling people to the boxing cards and vice versa. For a while there, I think the two kind of went hand in hand, as there were a good amount of boxers(Primo Carnera comes to mind) and athletes from other major sports who turned to pro-wrestling later in their careers. And that trend seems to have come around again with the MMA.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bender View Post
I'm certainly not criticizing anybody. Leon set up the Board so that the Homepage is also the Pre-War baseball forum. That makes sense in that Pre-War is the primary purpose of the site; however, the proximity of the forum makes it easy to post OT here.

At many forum sites the home page is a list of all the forums on the site. IMHO this would help keep posts in the correct forum, if anyone cares about that. It would also help traffic in the other threads, which I believe Leon has posted about in the past. Members can bookmark the Pre-War forum (or any forum) and bypass the home page; newbies will get an overview of all Net54 has to offer before jumping into the threads.

I love Net54 either way and although I don't post much and am mostly post-war, I visit this forum every time I hit the site b/c the content is so good. Thanks to Leon and everyone who contributes.
I get the list when I click through from oldcardboard.

All in all, I think everythings fine. I like the idea of adding wrestling to the boxing section, although I don't collect wrestling cards specifically. Anything that makes the section more active sounds good. Calling it combat sports....I suppose that would let us add figure skating..../too obscure?

If there was a place for the more fringe sports like cycling and skiing......
Of course, I'd probably be the only one posting, so that's not a good idea.

Steve B
Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default your wish....

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Any thoughts on the possibility of adding wresting to the boxing category?

Done....Probably wouldn't be enough interest for it's own category so I added /wrestling and took out the timeline since those cards will be quite new. I doubt there will be so many "new" boxing card threads that it will get too bogged down over there. Good suggestion. Easy stuff (like this), I can do. Difficult stuff, the techy guys can do. regards
Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Patrick N.

Default Hey Leon

Hey Leon, really the only thing that bothers me is the postwar and watercooler together, could you de-couple those two?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
If I ran Net54 I would ban...everybody.
Barry has my vote now theres a guy who's about TCB!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Hey Leon, really the only thing that bothers me is the postwar and watercooler together, could you de-couple those two?

Not sure there is a better place and I don't want another whole new section. I am probably going to ask Brian to see if he can put the Watercooler section under the post-war one.....but those will remain in the same place otherwise for the reason given....regards
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Bill Cauley

I wouldn't change anything. I don't like leaving my comfort zone and having to deal with change.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Bradley Holt

Default Events Calendar Auctions

I think net54baseball should have an events calendar similar to OCVB's.

Obviously there's lots of advertising on this site regarding "Auctions".
Just think about it; having a single page were you can view all acutions start date,
links and consignment deadlines. I believe this would be a great tool for all parties.

I hate missing out on acutions.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Bradley Holt

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
I think net54baseball should have an events calendar similar to OCVB's.

Obviously there's lots of advertising on this site regarding "Auctions".
Just think about it; having a single page were you can view all acutions start date,
links and consignment deadlines. I believe this would be a great tool for all parties.

I hate missing out on acutions.
bump!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:10 PM
FredYoung

I think there should be a fine for every spelling error, misuse of the apostrophe, and incorrectly constructed contractions, payable every time by immediate PayPal deduction & the proceeds used to throw a Net54 party every spring at the Bruceii's mansion so we can all bring cards & help eliminate the World's Toughest Wantlist.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
I think there should be a fine...
Makes me think of...

Old 05-29-2011, 06:12 AM

The OP is known for inane posts on other boards.

Net54 just happens to be the latest target.

With that said I move for a section on 1950s Swedish Nudist Volleyball Cards.