NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default the thrill of the hunt?.....then what...

Posted By: leon

Ya' ever hear about a story of people bickering like kids and then a vintage baseball card forum broke out Although, if legitimate grading companies are letting very many bad cards through (let alone one card) that is an issue...but I will let the others continue their rhetoric elsewhere....and I will politely ask Elliot to come and delete posts if need be ...I am officially "owning" this thread any funny stuff and KAPOWWW !!....(said in a gangsta kinda way) There really is a reason for this thread and I am getting there..Today I received the last back of the M101 series- that I know of, to complete my "set" of distributed M101 backs. Actually there might be an old school collector out there with a set however, I think I am one of the only collectors that actually cares about them....sorry T.N.... That was kind of a running joke at the National. A collector would say "Oh you have all the various backs, ..wonderful"..(while saying who cares under their breath)..and then me adimitting it too and everyone laughing...what a time...but I digress... The first reason for this post was to find any other backs that I might not know of( I know this has been talked about several times before so I apologize in advance) These are backs that someone has actually seen. The backs I know of are : Altoona Tribune, Blank back, Block & Kuhl, Burgess Nash, Everybody's (yea), Famous & Barr, Gimbels (3 variations of print, not a misprint), Globe Clothing, Green Joyce, Herpolsheimer, Holmes to Homes, Indianapolis Brewing, Mall Theatre, Morehouse Baking, Sporting News, Standard Biscuit, Successful Farming, Wares, Weil Baking, ?? So there you have it....**I know there is a Bucyrus Brewing poster of cards but if they were cut from it they would be blank backs...so we actually don't know about that?

I have to say once I received the card it was a little bit of a let down...now that I have them all (maybe, that I know of), it seems the thrill of the hunt is sort of over How do you guys do it? Start a second set of the one you just completed regards all.....

Old 08-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...and he thinks he OWNS the place! OK, OK! What's your going rate for posting space rental on your thread, and could I please request an Arctic Ocean view?

Old 08-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Administrator

just no bickering.... and I get the ONLY iceberg view.......

Old 08-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I know exctly how you feel. The thrill of the hunt is what I enjoy the most about this hobby. What do I do after I complete a set? I keep it for awhile and then I sell it. Then start all over.

I'm working on my second E92 - E95 - E96 and E98 sets.

The one set I won't sell when I complete it is the E90-3 set but only because it is all Chiccago players.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

just take on an insane project like me and try and colelct one card of every player that has ever appeared on a card. A 19th century set would be a virual impossiblity and the span I trying to cover (1908-1941) is going to be very tough to say the least

Jay

Old 08-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Lawrie

How about try to collect one of every different type of Obak 1910 150 and 175 series backs.

Or, collect one Zeenut of every different year with coupons (depending on year) attached.

Do you have a master 1941 Goudey set? (Every player and color combination). Not type collecting, I know, but something up your alley.

Do you have one from each T210 series?

What about the different Coupon back varieties? What about all of the T216s?

And for your M101 type collection, I assume that you have all of the different backs for each of the different years of distribution (e.g. Sporting News 1915, Sporting News 1916 ... or whatever year they were issued), so you should have 2 of each of the backs issued in both years, and one back for just single years. Plus they should be players with variances from one year to the next so that you can distinguish and give us any insight into potential printing differences, size variations between years, etc. And if you could find the same player, with different numbers, for the two years, even better. Take the Dooin card for example, #50 in one year, #49 the next. Each to notice and remember. Nobody really gives a rip about him in particular. And that way you could definitively prove which backs were which year.

So Leon, put down your ice-fishing pole, put away your smoked blubber and walrus jerkey, hitch up the dogs, and get to work a-collectin'.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

I'll sell you or trade you the "Chick" card if the break up of the group allows it to fall in my direction and if it's not your second set your building! I do not have the Chicago loyalty you obviously do.

Old 08-28-2002, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Very good ideas you have. I have one of each of the Obak years. I have not tried to collect all of the Zeenuts with coupons yet....my lone one is a 1916 Spider Baum in ex-mt condition w/coupon. I have a 1911 Zeenut (as we know "no" coupon) of Weaver and those are my 2 Zeenuts, so far. I would need to find Mark Mccrae's hiding place to complete that set...I have one of each of the colors of the '41 Goudey set with both HOF's. I haven't tackled the T210 series set yet but only have a lone example. I have all 3 of the major Coupon series but not any of the estoteric nuance ones yet (if there are nuance ones). I finally got the impossibly tough T216 Virginia Extra card about 3 weeks ago. Talk about a toughie, I would be interested in knowing how many ANY board member has seen of those in person. At the National ( I no longer say "Nationals" thanks to Julie) I could not find anyone that had seen more than about 1-2, in person, in their life....As far as the m101 backs my preference was to only have one of each type and not of each type with the "year" taken into consideration. I think there is still some valid skepticism about what year they were produced but regardless I just wanted to have one of each back type. For some reason I think Dooin is about the most prevelant player in ALL vintage card sets. That dude really got around. My Virginia Extra is even of him !! I am sure I will come up with another obscure "set" to collect soon. I still need about 50 or so to complete my true pre-war type set....and then only of items I collect. I can still branch out into Canadian issues, Cabinets, and pins, if I need something to do between blubber feasts....regards all.... BTW, on a side not the person that sent me the Everybody's card ( a very well known collector-dealer) just said to send whatever I thought it was worth for payment...I am sending an extra $50 for the kind gesture.....that is the way the hobby is supposed to be

Old 08-28-2002, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It is obvious that no one is going to go the least bit out on a limb and touch the subject of PSA and SGC grading restored cards...the little guys don't want to rattle any cages, and since most of the big collectors on this board (or lurking nearby) own plenty of slabbed PSA and/or SGC cards, hinting that a fair percentage of ther really valuable ones might be restored, is just something they don't want to hear about or encourage discussion about.

I have gotten a few emails, but all pertaining to the pluses and minuses of slabbing cards, none actually touching the subject of whether or not those cards slabbed are unaltered.

My conclusion: no one likes altered cards, but everyone would prefer to just agree that if it's in a PSA or SGC holder it must be okay. "Cleaning up the hobby" is just lip service.

Next time you guys jump PRO or gripe about the weaknesses of a new company like GradeTech, think about what you're ignoring in your own collection.

http://www.t206museum.com/page/discussion_4.html

Old 08-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

This thread has NOTHING to do with grading or grading companies. I gave it a cursory sentence because I feel it is important. This thread has to do with "type" collecting and obscure set collecting. Nothing personal here but I just wanted to make clear what the thread pertains to and where I want it to go......best regards.....

Old 08-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Brian,

Did you read the part of my post where I said I WOULDN'T sell the set once I completed it?

Besides, being a life-long Cubs fan I don't think a White Sox card would change my mind.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:07 AM
Administrator

my friend

Old 08-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Once my set is complete, as you said, the thrill is gone. I then lose interest and sell the set, and start something new. Another idea is to start upgrading cards in your set.

The exception has been my Rucker and Reulbach collections - I haven't gotten tired of either yet, and I've expanded them to ticket stubs, autographs, etc.

You could always begin slabbing your set and search continually for cards that you think would get better grades. And when you get to about "EXMT" and can't find a better card...

Old 08-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Leon,
You left Boston Store off your list.

There are the E121 backs - Holsum Bread, Gassler's, Standard Biscuit, Johnson Candy, etc. (which you probably already have - you can complete the list for me)

The T205, T206, & T207 backs should have some challenges. Do you have the D304 backs - Brunners, General Baking, Weber, Martzen(sp?) Also did anyone determine if the E222's had different backs?

Old 08-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Administrator

The Boston Store is - E135/H801-8 and I already have all of the backs of the E135's. Now as far as the E121's and W575-1's that's a whole nuther story....there are one's like Gertenrich, Witmor, Creamnuts etc........I have all of the ones you mentioned, and the ones I just mentioned, and I believe there are quite a few that are uncatalogued. The m101's are a little more known and therefore were easier to quantify....although I think there might be some of those that I/we don't know about. I have started the T205 backs, T206 backs, and T207 backs and they are probably 90% complete....with me still missing the biggies....The E222's do have different backs but I will be luckey to ever see another one of those for sale....The D304's are one I have in my sites next....still need Weber (pretty tough) and a nice General Baking.....already have the Brunners and very tough Martens...good thoughts, thanks.....