NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2002, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Default Reponse to question below (item #1845951779)

Posted By: Henry Yee

Two of my customers who visit this board sent me a link to an inquiry that was made in regards to one of the messages on this chatboard. The response to the below inquiry is as follows (DiMaggio photo - Ebay Item #1845951779).

The photo has been altered and cropped sometime in the past, most likely to enhance the appearance. I believe it was originally 6" x 8" with the white border portion being cropped off. It is Original from 1936.

A detail revision and an addendum to the item will be made immediately. Apologize for any confusion.

If anyone have any questions, please feel free to email me directly as that is the quickest way to get a swift and direct response. Or call me at my office (email me for the number if you don't have it).

Happy Collecting to you all !

Best Regards
Henry Yee
hyee@mindspring.com

P.S. Please pardon me if this does not go through the system correctly. Not sure how this one works. This is my first time using this board or any posting board since the nice gentlemen who runs Full Count Cards first had one of these up years ago (John, I believe from Shrewsbury, if you're out there, hope all is well with you and family).

Old 07-24-2002, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

I wasn't picking on this item. I noticed that you had loads of interesting stuff out there and this was the first one I opened. After all the questions involving the postcard sheet and trimming, I was sort of surprised that the first item of yours I looked at was a trimmed photo and that there was no mention of alteration in the description.

I was also very interested in the Cobb portrait, but Dimaggio put me off. BTW, you would definitely have gotten more for some of those postcards (the ones cut from a sheet) if we had gotten a more forthright response to our discussion. I stopped bidding when you started dancing.

--------------------------------------------
no disclaimer - temporarily taking responsibility for my actions

Old 07-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I think we've all seen this one before, but with a bit more paper along the left edge - looks like it's been trimmed yet again (much nicer job this time). I'm starting to wonder about ALL of these items - any more trimmings? re-coloring? taping or gluing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845667292

Old 07-24-2002, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

The mini Babe Ruth baseball bat he has up for sale is also NOT from 1948........but about 1995. It's from a recent series that were put out in boxes. Series also contained Mantle, Mattingly, Clemente and others. They are READILY found on ebay boxed and for sale. Henry's is, of course, unboxed. Don't know if it's consigned or not but someone's trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes............

Old 07-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845661629

Unboxed under Henry's id..........I've collected mini bats, banks and pens for years and never seen an authentic bat from the time period described in Henry's auction..........

Old 07-24-2002, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Henry is a bright guy who can tell the difference between sh*t and shinola - he needs to start posting honest, accurate descriptions, or get ready to take more flak.

Old 07-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

I know everybody's in a Henry Yee-bashing mood here. However, there were plenty of 1930s-1940s mini-bats of varying sizes issued. Heck, even the famous Halper auction contained a mini-bat or two (particularly the online lots which included a Lou Gehrig model).

So...while I don't know enough about the particular bat that Yee is offering, I do know legitimate mini-bats were issued during this time period.

And, I don't think Henry Yee is trying to be deceitful -- he has enough nice stuff for sale that I don't think he would want to risk his reputation for one or two lots.

Just my opinion....

Old 07-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Administrator

so I guess they are just "ommission of irrelevant detail" accidents. And to be honest, I feel almost certain that Henry would give me a refund if I bought an item and then discovered it "wasn't all it was cut up to be".

Old 07-24-2002, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Who cares if it is consigned to him or not. It makes no difference. It is HIS name they are being sold under. HE is responsible for the authenticity of the items he is offering. The fact that he is offering a large number of items may impress some but shouldn't make a questionable item more acceptable. There is no excuse for him not researching what people are giving him to sell.

In regards to the DiMaggio photo:

"trimmed the border to enhance the appearance"

Excuse me? Try ,"trimmed the borders to cut off all the little rips, dings, dents and creases that would have brought the value down".

That answer I would have believed and more importantly - respected him for it.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Scott / Tom :

Best way to reach me is through email as I carry a Palm but I don't get time to do chat boards often because of my business and travel schedule. If you would like to speak directly to me, send me an email and I would be more than happy to provide you with a number that I could be reach at for that day.

I will do my best to address as much as possible, as a request from one of my customers that have brought to my attention in regards to items mentioned on this board, so bear with me. I've been swamped in my "other" profession begging for VC money among investors and my partner who runs my ebay business these days have been taking more consignments than I can handle at this moment and buying up a storm (anyone out there loves cards and needs a job or just know how to work a scan bed) ?

In Regards to the W514:

These were "strip cards" and were intended to be cut from sheets or strips decades ago. This is one of the better cut W514's I have handled. From experience, these are graded like vintage paper money (yea, those slabbed coin idiots ruined that hobby too). The more borders around the central image, the more desirable. While the Lemke guide does a proficient job in the description in regards to sizes, it is just that, "a guide" as some cards were larger than others, even when in uncut format. So theoretically, you could have a strip card with black borders all around that will be short when compared to guide standards and vice versa (where you could have a strip card that has been cut past border limits and be larger than guide standards).

As for this and ALL cards I sell, they are gradable by third party, guarantee. As far as I know, PSA don’t grade these, they wouldn’t have a clue as to what it is. I haven’t spoke to Steve or Mike Baker since they launched Global when they were in New York City so I don’t know what their firm’s stance is. However, SGC will grade these and in working with Derek Grady, and other W-type collectors in the past, we agree that "borders" should carry more weight than corners, since corners can technically be "sharpen" with the cut. Overall eye appeal is the key factor. (As for the slab grade, that depends on what Derek had for lunch - just kidding DG, I’ll see you in Chicago for a beer). Some collectors stay away from strip cards because 90% of cards are missing black borders while others see it as the last alternative to a once affordable hobby. Different strokes for different folks.

In Regards to the Ruth Mini-Bat:

The item is indeed NOT vintage and has been pulled. I am Man enough to admit that if something has been overlooked, I will rectify the situation swiftly. My partner and I handle thousands of items and try to put up 300-400 lots every time. Things do get overlooked from time to time when you handle volume. However, I will not hesitate to make any revisions or pull items if someone who is more knowledgeable than myself on that particular subject contacts me. If items are purchased from me and the buyer is not satisfied, I offer a No B.S., NO song and dance, NO questions asked 100% money back guarantee. (In over 10,000 lots I have sold on and off ebay over the last four years, I have had about 10 returns (or 1 out of every 1000) and in EVERY scenario, everyone had a US Postal Money Order in hand within seven days of my receipt of the return merchandise. In three of those rare cases, I have ate the commission I paid out.

Scott:

Yes, if you (like anyone) buy anything and are not all but 200% totally satisfied, send it back and I'll send you a refund including your shipping cost so I can put that smile back on your face. If I had learn anything in business school (aside from perfecting my BEER-athlon techniques) and the three business' that I own, is that "Customer Satisfaction is measured by Repeat Business, and nothing else." A simple concept but yet so true. If you don't come back and do business with me then I have failed you. (My feedback record will however indicate that I have had (2) negatives from two idiots. Neither sent me a single nickel for those items).

Show me ANYONE that has brought from my family whether 5 days ago or 5 years ago or 5 decades ago, who felt cheated or where I have failed to deliver, either on product, or on service, or where I have failed to treat them in a professional manner and I'll personally resolve the matter. Have them email me and I’ll provide them with my 24-hour personally cell number and they can call me collect. I stand by everything I sell, whether it be 10 cents, $10 or $10,000. If it’s wrong, I’ll make it right.

Tom:

Bashing or no bashing, I take the good with the bad and am open to constructive criticism from anyone. I am a straight shooting and what you see is what you get. Any dealer or auction house that puts up volume will get folks that will pick words apart for each statement made but that's fine because I expect it. No company is perfect and I’m still learning.

This is my First time glancing this board (I probably didn’t even log-in properly). I notice quite a few names from my client list and others that have brought cards-memorabilia from me off-line in the past. Does John Spencer still run this board ? and if not, is he still around ? I've dealt with him several times and so have several of my clients and he was one of the more upstanding guys in this hobby.

Happy Collecting to all !

Best Regards
Henry Yee
hyee@mindspring.com

Old 07-24-2002, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I'm sending you an email with the link to the original w514 that you/your consignor has attempted to restore. Poor job and shame on you.

Old 07-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Here's an image of the original card we sold many months ago:

Here are the images from Mazman9's auction on May 3 (item #1826548598) and hyee@mindspring.com's current auction. I don't think there's any question that Henry DID NOT trim the card. It HAS been altered, but it is difficult to say who did it.

Old 07-24-2002, 06:58 PM
Administrator

YES, in verifying with my consignor, this is the EXACT same card that was sold by Mazman9.

It was NOT trimmed by me or my consignor but by Mazman himself as he clearly discloses in his description.
In looking at the card, It has however been flatten but the creases are still there.

My consignor and I simply acquire the card that was sold to us by the owner who “clearly” state that he altered it and didn’t sell it the first time around.

If there is any crime committed on MY end for buying this card and selling it, then string me up by the balls and I’ll provide the wipe.

A copy of the email to Scott below for additional details.

Best Regards
Henry

BTW …. first time on this board and a real warm welcome. I thought investment bankers were tough. Thanks fellas.

Personally I prefer the good old fashion way of communicating, on the phone, man to man or better yet, in person. Besides, it’s easier on my fingers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 8:21 PM
To: Scott Forrest
Cc: Peter Calderon; John Wojak; Bob Marquette; Andy Cook; Steve Lucas
Subject: RE: W514 jackson
Restored (meaning chemicals and colors added and the works) – NO.

Trimmed to it's current size, Yes - The Joe Jackson was at one time slightly larger and crooked cut rough on the left side and was cut to its current size.
It still falls within the guide standards. SGC has graded these cards if they fall within guide standards. Let's put it this way, if you buy it and Grady doesn't slab it , I'll send you a refund and your postage and your retun postage and your grading fees. What more are you asking ?

These are strip cards and every one that are encased in SGC tombs have obviously been trimmed, cut off sheets (or which ever way you want to put it).
That's why cards with larger borders command premiums since they can technically be "cut" to guide standards.

Is this ethical ? Many will say "Hell NO", since trimmed cards are just that, trimmed cards regardless if they're slabbed by SGC.
Whether they be W-cards or 1941 Playball paper versions, which all have found their way in the SGC holder.

Dude, have you brought from me before? or do you know anyone who has that is pist off where I failed to rectify the situation ?
Or do you just not like me ?
If Yes to Any of the following, then I understand why all this bashing and this trial being conducted.

Personally I don't know you, have never dealt with you (or others that have joined your witch hunt) and have absolutely nothing against you.
(Believe I might have met Andy once but could be a different Andy at Westchester, NY).

You don't even know me. Heck, I'm not even a bad guy, I'm sure if I met you or the "board council" cc'd above, or the other board members at a bar, I would buy you a beer if you started talking baseball.

If you need to reach me, my number is below.

Best Regards
Henry
(917) 440-8579

BTW .... if you plan on pasting this, do me a favor and post the entire message instead of editing it.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 7:36 PM
To: hyee@mindspring.com
Cc: Peter Calderon; John Wojak; Bob Marquette; Andy Cook; Steve Lucas
Subject: Fw: W514 jackson
So Henry, here's the email you asked for: is the w514 Jackson restored? "yes" or "no" will do.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 07-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Here is a direct quote from your auction: "The card has a 1/4” light crease on the left border and a small chip. Aside from that it is as nice as it gets for this issue with terrific centering and 4 NrMT corners".

Now, please, tell me how you turned a TEAR into a 1/4" LIGHT CREASE?!?!?

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION PLEASE AND QUIT YOUR TWO-STEPPING.

Old 07-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Administrator

<then string me up by the balls and I’ll provide the wipe.>
A more appropriate punishment might be to trim them, cut them off, then restore them.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning you. I didn't in my original post say that YOU were the one trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Somehow, though, someone was with the mini bat. It may not even have been your consignor. I don't know. It's neither here nor there at this point as you did what I think was the honorable thing and pulled the auction. Whatever your ethics and business practices, you do seem to be a standup person, when confronted with a valid issue or concern, who will go in the right direction. As for consignor's material, none of us are without blame when we assess cards or memorabilia.

As for the minibats--yes.......living in Louisville, I have quite a bit of info about them. I can trace the 14" minibats back to about 1922 or so. The decal mini's can be traced even further back to 1912-1914 I think. The 4.5" bats come from 2 places--either the mini bat banks that have 10 bats on them which date to no earlier than most likely the late 1940's to early 1950's (more likely 1950's)or the baseball bat pens and pencils, and, again, no Ruth bats on either of those--which is VERY unusual since he was H&B's premier player during the 1920's/1930's.

I've got about 500-600 of the baseball bat pens and pencils and have never seen a Ruth signature bat like the one Henry was selling (they MAY exist) from the 1930's/1940's (H&B or otherwise). I've got about 35 or so of the H&B baseball bat banks and the earliest one I have or have seen has Ted Williams, Berra and others on it and dates back to late 1940's/early 1950's.

I didn't mean to slam Henry and this forum may not have been the best to confront the issue. Hopefully Henry can check the consignment items a little better before they're listed as many people don't take the time to really understand what they're bidding on (given the AAA graded filth that's out there). With listing 300-400 items, there will be mistakes in descriptions and other problems as well but overall the auctions he does seem to be mostly above board.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:42 PM
Administrator

In my opinion, it is a moot point who paid to restore the card.

HENRY YEE is the name of the seller. As a buyer I am dealing with him and him alone had I not had the benefit of boards like this where I can learn the TRUE history of an item I am buying I am to rely on the seller, and his reputation, alone.

mazman cut the card down from it;s original state. Greed taught him a good lesson. If mazman isn't above cuting down the card he certainly isn't above restoration.

Since that sale the card edges don't appear to have been cut down again. It has been worked on to press out creases and and I see evidence a rip has been sealed. The "mazman" card clearly has two rips and the ripple effect created when using a dull blade. Where are those ripples now and why does it only have a crease and no rips?

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmm."

Henry, a man is judged by what he DOES, not what he says or who he hides behind.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 07-24-2002, 09:02 PM
Administrator

The person who did the awful trim-job on Shoeless Joe is not capable of restoring the card to the state it is now in - he couldn't even wield an x-acto knife.

Someone else restored it...who?

Old 07-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

Why is the auction still running?

bruce

Old 07-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Administrator

I didn't mean ot say Henry or "mazman" actually DID the physical work.

If a tear was sealed, that card was worked on professionally. When or who paid for it is another question.

Old 07-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< mazman cut the card down from it;s original state. Greed taught him a good lesson. If mazman isn't above cuting down the card he certainly isn't above restoration. >>

I just came across this article on another forum...

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=110684

Perhaps he could fix a rip and make it look like a crease? I'll try to call him tomorrow and see what he says.

Old 07-24-2002, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

The only thing that shocks me is that BMW would sell to someone who would alter a card. They should better research on their potential customers. Unconscionable!

(Before MW takes it the wrong way, I note that I'm just joking).

Actually, the lesson here is that if you are going to alter a prominant card, don't take it from eBay and put it back altered on eBay a month later. What do you think Yahoo auctions are for?

Old 07-25-2002, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I'm not sure I understand what is wrong with "trimming" a strip card, as long as the card still retains all of the original dotted lines around the borders. I saw the argument in this thread that this trimming has altered the card from its "original" state. But that's not really true. Its original state was as a full strip. Nearly all strip cards were altered from this state back in the 1920s. When the strip cards were originally trimmed (separated), some kids cut them way outside the lines. If the kid was unhappy with the job he did, he might have cut the card again, closer to the lines. I don't see that as a problem. I have a Transogram panel that had huge irregular borders. I cut them off and now have a very nice, rectangular Transogram panel, with borders which are still much larger than standard size. I don't think I did anything wrong. If I decided to sell it, I'd be happy to tell the buyer what I did, but I don't think it would even occur to me to do so. Am I missing something here?

Old 07-25-2002, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Old 07-25-2002, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Henry,

You say you respond to people bringing wrongs to your auctions. I sent you an email on your socalled 25 photo lot that went for $600 when they were just copies of photos that you can buy on ebay frwquently for under $20. I received absolutely no response and some guy is hung paying $600 for copied photos that your write made sound so wonderful. i have the same set of copied photos and if you really want I can give you the name of the person I purchased them from. I will gladly respond to an email.

It is nice to see that you are respond to these accusations, but in my eyes you have not cleared your name with me. I may not be a big spender in this group but most of my disposable income goes to vintage cards and at this point you are getting none of it.

this board is fair and honest (for the most part) and enjoy the people on it. I have have gained alot of respect for the "watchdogs" in the group. It would probably be in your best interest to take notice of the questions brought up about your auctions, or anyone else that has a questionable auction. there are many collectors that read this board, the power of the group.

I am sick and tired of sellers trying to take advantage of unsuspecting buyers with fancy wording and lack of description!!!!!!!

THAT'S MY BEEF!!!!!!!!!

Lee

Old 07-25-2002, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Of course strip cards came in strips, and of course, way back in the '20s, little kids cut them into individual cards. Nobody had a problem with that. Someone who got a little greedy took an old cut strip card and tried to trim it down to look nicer - he failed and left two obvious tears that went across the "dotted line" into the card. He acknowledged this when he tried to re-sell it. I won't open up this can of worms here, but I am curious about something: we know that SGC will grade strip cards that were "vintage cut". If the SGC grader knew that a strip card was cut yesterday, would he still grade it? Okay, forget that and back to the current issue.

Henry Yee is now selling the same card, but now the tear located on the upper part of the card has been restored and Henry now describes it as a "1/4" craese". Well, yeah, I guess that's what the restorer turned it into - magic: tear is now a crease. This is frowned upon by most collectors, but it is even more disgusting that Henry did not describe the card as restored. As others have said, and I agree, if you are accepting consignments then YOU are now the seller in the eyes of the buyer. If you are too busy or whatever to write up accurate descriptions or to give the items a good looking over prior to listing, then GET OUT OF THE CONSIGNMENT BUSINESS.

Old 07-25-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

Regardless of when it was cut (could they tell anyhow?), a strip card will get graded.

Old 07-25-2002, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Henry,

I was the person that you met in Westchester, at Ron's table. It wasn't Andy Cook.

I greatly enjoyed our meeting, and you were very helpful to me in resolving my issue with PSA regarding my fake Ruth rookie. I can vouche that you are an honest guy. Everybody makes mistakes, not everyone can admit to them. Best of Luck.

Old 07-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have received a personal email from Henry in response to my post. He has admitted his mistake and the the customer is receiveing a full refund. I comend him for responding so quickly but his elaberate descriptions of items that are misleading.

Lee