NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Ed McCollum

Default First time on the board in a while, and probably won't be back for a while

First off, again, thanks to all the members who have helped so much over the past nine years in rebuilding the Howe McCormick collection.

But real life has brought my collecting days to a halt, at least for the time being. Back on June 9, I lost my job of the last 14 years, and as of today, still haven't found anything in my career field to replace it. I was lucky enough that when my job was eliminated, I was given a severance package, but being cautious with what might be all we have for a while, collecting cards has been put on hold. Haven't even been on eBay since the day before the job loss, and think I've been on the board here maybe only once or twice the first week after. Bit hard to go somewhere to talk about stuff you can't participate in for the time being.

While I'm not actively collecting, or even visiting auction sites, I wouldn't mind it if anyone happens to see one of the cards dropping me a personal message through the board, just so I could add the card to the data base I've been keeping. One way of staying involved without getting too involved.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help over the years. Hopefully, I'll be back, sooner than later. Good luck to everyone in their pursuits.

Ed
Old 09-01-2017, 02:34 PM
pete ullman

good luck Ed...with everything...see you back someday!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:37 PM
David Kathman

I'm really sorry to hear that, Ed. I hope you can find something else soon. Good luck with everything.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Ed,

I don't know you, (I'm pretty new on these boards) but wishing you lots of luck.

What field are you in? There's an incredible range of people here, and maybe someone here will know something.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Kev1n @1les

Ed,
Best of luck to you and sorry about the job loss. I went through it two years ago after 18 years with a company. It took about 90 days to land into my next role and it turned out to be a bigger job with a company that I really enjoy.

During that search, however, it was a daily roller coaster. On one day, I would hear from multiple recruiters and wonder which opportunity I would take. Then, the next few days it would be silent and I would wonder at what point I would need to get a paper route or work in fast food.

It was more of a battle of the mind than anything else. I ended up with 4 job offers before the warn period was over and I got to bank the entire severance. However, I can tell you that it felt like 3 years. I could only do so much on linkedin, but I felt guilty when I wasn't on it networking.

Maybe it was just me, but if you have had any of these experiences, I just wanted to offer my best to you and let you know that it usually works out for the better - as cliche as that might sound.

As far as cards, they will be there when you get back and this board will do you a solid and let you know when we see stuff. I admire your collecting niche and think about young boy collecting cards and putting his stamp on them.

Stay strong and best of luck!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 09-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Val Kehl

Ed, I have long enjoyed reading about your most-interesting collecting pursuit. I am sorry to learn of your misfortune, but I have a feeling that you are the sort of person who will make lemonade out of this lemon of a situation - hope you land a better job, perhaps one where you are no longer "stuck in Omaha" (hope my stab at humor doesn't offend).
Val
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Travis Bid.ner

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any new Howe cards posted lately. I just figured they were getting harder to find. Really enjoyed seeing you add to your collection, very unique. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you'll find something sooner than later.

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Ed - I has also been there too. Sometimes you have to get philosophical about things, but always in a positive light. Things will get better.

Since you, evidently have been on the board a lot longer than me, could you share exactly what your card targets are? I'm sure I don't have any but will glad to add my eyeballs to assist the search.

Hang in there and Good Luck,
Raymond

p.s.- I believe we can ALL say that, in spite of everything, we are doing better than a lot of folks in SE Texas...let's keep thinking about them.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-01-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Travis Bid.ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Ed - I has also been there too. Sometimes you have to get philosophical about things, but always in a positive light. Things will get better.

Since you, evidently have been on the board a lot longer than me, could you share exactly what your card targets are? I'm sure I don't have any but will glad to add my eyeballs to assist the search.

Hang in there and Good Luck,
Raymond

p.s.- I believe we can ALL say that, in spite of everything, we are doing better than a lot of folks in SE Texas...let's keep thinking about them.
T206 with Howe McCormick stamped on the back

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 09-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Derek Granger

best of luck Ed!

Best collecting focus on the board, by a long shot! Perhaps someone on the board can take the torch and collect these bad-boys for you for a while until you get your feet back on the ground. I'm not in a good position to do that (and rarely even look at a listed t206), so I'm not your guy. But perhaps there is someone here who could help build the collection in your absence.

Best regards,
Derek

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
best of luck Ed!

Best collecting focus on the board, by a long shot! Perhaps someone on the board can take the torch and collect these bad-boys for you for a while until you get your feet back on the ground. I'm not in a good position to do that (and rarely even look at a listed t206), so I'm not your guy. But perhaps there is someone here who could help build the collection in your absence.

Best regards,
Derek
I like that idea (but also do not do those cards)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 09-01-2017, 05:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I will volunteer to be a clearinghouse for Howe McCormick stamped T206s. I have a bit in COMC and PayPal if any become available. Ed, just let me know if someone messages you about any that you'd like.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Chris

Keep your head up. I've had a number of friends go through the process and they always end up better off in the end. One door closes when another is meant to open. If you need help polishing your resume, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to take a look--just switched jobs this summer so pretty up on the process.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Jeremy W.

Ed- I'm hoping you land on your feet sooner than later because your re-collection of the McCormick collection is an inspiration to all of us collector junkies.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Peter F

Ed I remember when i sold you a McCormick card, i had a link to the website of the organization you were with and told you how impressed I was.

I hope you can find a new work home you enjoy. Good luck and hang in there.

Peter
Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Best of luck, losing a job sucks and the search feels long and at times depressing, but you'll get back!
Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Ed, first, I am very, very sorry for your job loss, and the long months that have passed since. I went through this in 2009-10, and I sure understand.

May God help you and carry you at this time. Prayers sent your way that He'll open a door for you that either seems locked and dead-bolted, or an open door to something you haven't thought about as yet, and would come as a refreshing breeze to you, and remain so for years to come.

A strong brotherly hug to you, pal. ---Brian Powell
Old 09-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Doug Doremus

It stinks when life gets in the way of collecting.

Good luck, Ed.
This too shall pass, as my mother used to say.
In my own life I've found that, if you can hang in there, things often work out for the best.

There are many here who feel for you
and will be happy when you return.