NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Since it appears most of your auction is made up of cards from battlefield expecting a grade of VG on a card you describe as NM seems pretty optimistic to me. I would expect them all to come back altered. I am surprised any knowledgeable net54 members would even consider bidding in this auction. I will be sitting this one out.

It seems much more likely to me that this auction is nothing more than a battlefield auction moved off of eBay. I am pleasantly surprised to see eBay finally did the right thing and got rid of you guys.
Hi Jesse,

I'm sorry you feel that way. We would love to have you participate in the auction. I look forward to proving you wrong. We are NOT Battlefield and have been upfront about our association with them (see older posts in this thread). I know it is going to take time to gain the trust of you guys on this forum and I look forward to doing so. We are here for the right reasons and that will become apparent in the near future when our auction is over and people start posting about their experience with us.

Thanks,

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
with all the smooth talk and reassurances and self-promoting narrative, I am still waiting for the explanation why you would choose not to grade cards that obviously would be worth substantially more if in fact they are in the condition you claim.
Hi Peter,

You can call it "smooth talk" or whatever you want. I am speaking the truth and that's all I can do. The simple answer to your question is that the consignor wants everything sold and doesn't want to spend a lot of money on grading fees and have to wait months to get the cards back from PSA as egbeachley (Eric) has pointed out. They want the items sold. If they wanted the cards graded we would send them in and wait months and add them to one of our auctions later this year.

I have stated over and over (and updated this in the Auction Rules on the website), if ANY card that we haven't identified as altered is sent in for grading comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card to us for a full refund. I don't know how I can be more clear about this.

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
I try to have an open mind on this sort of thing, but I prefer specificity over generality. Let's look at Lot #26...1953 Bowman Color Mantle.

You state: "This particular card up for auction is New York Yankees Hall of Fame legend Mickey Mantle. This card has the appearance of a NM-MT condition card but does measure smaller than the standard size and would likely only receive a grade of “Authentic” if submitted to any of the major grading companies."

Let's say I win this lot for $1000 (incl. BP) and I send it to PSA. I use the 10 day shipping option ($50), send it insured Priority Mail ($14.99) and pay PSA $18 to return it. The card comes back from PSA No Grade - N-1 Evidence of Trimming.

You would refund me $.......?
Hi Frank,

In this case no there would be no refund. This card has been clearly identified as one we believe will only receive a grade of "Authentic". If it is sent in to PSA that is the expected grade and that is clearly stated. Any potential bidder should only bid whatever value they deem the card to be in as an altered card. It does have a NM-MT appearance like many altered cards do but as the title and description clearly say, the expected grade is "Authentic" and NOT a numerical grade.

I am trying to respond to as many posts as possible today. I will continue to reiterate this point. If ANY card we haven't identified as altered is sent in for grading and comes back as such, we will encourage the buyer to return the card for a full refund.

Thanks,

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesHOF View Post
Curt, I believe your assessment of the situation to be spot on. Master manipulation by the Ebay first family of photoshopped, altered cards in an attempt to sell NET54 members a bag of dog $hit in hopes they'll be happy they bought it.
Hal,

You couldn't be more mistaken. I look forward to proving you wrong.

Thanks,

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I'm beginning to think these guys like "dodgeball" more than they like Baseball.

Guys, (Candiman) I think it's too late now anyways as you lost anything you had with me by dodging this question, repeatedly.
We haven't dodged any questions Dale. We have nothing to hide. Please see my response to Peter in an earlier post.

Thanks,

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
If I was a consignor for a group of $100 - $500 cards, I would not want to spend roughly $25 per card for grading which I probably wouldn't recoup with higher sales. And that's on top of waiting another 4 months to get paid since that's how long it is taking to get back cards from PSA.
Thank you for pointing this out Eric. Almost every item in the auction falls into the category you are talking about. The consignor wants everything sold. They don't want to spend a lot of money on grading fees and have to wait months to get them back from PSA.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
I said simply..................WHY NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL; than there is buyer protections.
Hi Tony,

We don't accept PayPal (which is the policy of virtually every other auction house). We DO accept all major credit cards. Many auction houses are strictly money order, cashier's check, personal check, or wire transfer.

Thanks,

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Daniel
Peter Sp.aeth (hi Peter) has better explained my thoughts than I apparently could. If you read his last several posts you will know how I feel too. I told you it wasn't going to be easy. Good luck.
Hi Leon,

Peter's question has now been answered. Please see earlier posts. I know you told me this wasn't going to be easy. I never expected it to be. I didn't have to do this. I chose to. I have nothing to hide. You did say that people on here were open minded and would listen to what I have to say. Other than a small few, I believe you are wrong about this. They aren't even willing to give us a chance to prove ourselves. That's all we are asking for and I'm confident if given that chance we will be successful.

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
Personally I think this is all worthless banter. They REALLY don’t care what a small percentage of the hobby says or does
about their new auction site. They knew coming on here that very few if any would ever participate in the auction.
Larry,

You couldn't be more wrong. If I didn't care what the people on this forum thought I would've never posted this thread. I have exposed myself to a public attack from everyone on this forum. I have been respectful to everyone and have answered as many questions as possible. We want to gain the support from the people of this forum. I know that isn't going to happen overnight. All we are asking for is a chance to prove you guys wrong. We are doing things the right way. That will become apparent after our first auction ends and in our subsequent auctions this year. I hope anyone who wins an item from our auction does get on this thread and post their experience with us. I am confident it will all be positive.

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I suggest looking at Post #44 of this War-Eagle thread. Leon provides links to 3 Mantles auctioned in REA. They were in SGC A slabs. Leon also provides 3 eBay links where War-Eagle is selling the same three years as NM. Now look at the Mantles in the Candiman Auction. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=war_eagle
Hi Mike,

We do have a 1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle & a 1954 Bowman Mickey Mantle card listed in our auction. BOTH are listed as altered. While they look like high grade cards, we are confident in our assessment that those 2 cards would only receive a grade of "Authentic" if submitted to any of the major grading companies. I'm not sure what your point is here. If it is that we are trying to deceive people then you are mistaken. Please click the following links to the 2 cards in our auction:

candimanauctions.com/Mickey_Mantle_1953_Bowman_Color__59___New_York_Yan-LOT30.aspx

candimanauctions.com/Mickey_Mantle_1954_Bowman__65___New_York_Yankees__-LOT36.aspx

The 2 1955 Bowman Mantle's in the auction are from a different consignor.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Are you kidding me? Contact the Attorney Generals Office because someone's parents are bad? While you are at it you should call my local AA chapter and let them know that I might be a problem since my Dad is an alcoholic.
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. We are being found guilty by association. Who has control over their parents actions or any other person for that matter? The only thing you can do in this life is control your own actions. I know who I am as a person. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need.

I have said this over and over and over, we do not in any way, shape, or form support the actions of Battlefield over the past several years on eBay. We are NOT them. We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself. Yet we are being attacked, insulted, and not taken seriously because of other peoples actions. That is not the response Leon said I would receive if I was honest and explained the situation. I look forward to proving everyone on this forum wrong and I will continue to be active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Rest assured if someone reached out to me I would be glad to share my thoughts. As it is I was just trying to add a little humor to a thread that is difficult at best.

There's really no simple fix for these guys other than time. Frankly I think what will serve them best is actually having subsequent auctions as right now I imagine this still looks like a Battlefield fire sale to a lot of our members. Their protestations of wanting to establish long term relationships don't mean much until they've actually demonstrated that they are going to be around for the long haul. That along with the other issues mentioned are going to create a suspicion that's nearly impossible to counter until some history that runs counter to that which Battlefield has created is established.
Hi Scott,

I agree with you completely. It is going to take time for sure. I didn't expect this to be a walk in the park. I knew everyone would be skeptical and I have willingly opened myself up to public ridicule. We already have subsequent auctions planned for this year. We are already working on our next one right now (with ZERO items from Battlefield). All we are asking for is a chance to prove you guys wrong. The only way that can happen is seeing how our auctions play out this year. I am confident that everyone's mind will be at ease if we are just given the chance to prove ourselves.

Thanks,

Daniel
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
And after all, despite trashing Battlefield, they took all their inventory.
What's wrong with that? If Battlefield offered you their inventory, you wouldn't take it either? I would. Then I would do exactly as Candiman did. I would go through it, and re-sell it, listing anything I believed to be altered as such.

What should have been done with their inventory? Do we just burn it all? I don't collect altered or trimmed cards, but they DO have their place in the hobby.

You're really complaining about taking their inventory? Seriously? You're really grasping for straws at this point.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Could you explain this?
Please see my post from earlier today.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions View Post
Hi Peter,

You can call it "smooth talk" or whatever you want. I am speaking the truth and that's all I can do. The simple answer to your question is that the consignor wants everything sold and doesn't want to spend a lot of money on grading fees and have to wait months to get the cards back from PSA as egbeachley (Eric) has pointed out. They want the items sold. If they wanted the cards graded we would send them in and wait months and add them to one of our auctions later this year.

I have stated over and over (and updated this in the Auction Rules on the website), if ANY card that we haven't identified as altered is sent in for grading comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card to us for a full refund. I don't know how I can be more clear about this.

Daniel
And you have been equally clear that if a card you list as NM MT comes back a 5 or 6, or is clearly EX or EX MT upon visual inspection, there is no recourse.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What's wrong with that? If Battlefield offered you their inventory, you wouldn't take it either? I would. Then I would do exactly as Candiman did. I would go through it, and re-sell it, listing anything I believed to be altered as such.

What should have been done with their inventory? Do we just burn it all? I don't collect altered or trimmed cards, but they DO have their place in the hobby.

You're really complaining about taking their inventory? Seriously? You're really grasping for straws at this point.
How many times do I have to say it, David? If there are legitimate high grade cards in there, send them in to one of the TPGs. If I am really grasping at straws, why is your POV so clearly in the minority here?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
How many times do I have to say it, David? If there are legitimate high grade cards in there, send them in to one of the TPGs. If I am really grasping at straws, why is your POV so clearly in the minority here?
I think what David is saying is, if you DO NOT think they will get the high numeric grade, then bid on them what they are worth TO YOU!! Me personally, I don't mind trimmed cards that look mint. I won't be bidding "8" prices though...I will be bidding "A" prices...
Old 03-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
How many times do I have to say it, David? If there are legitimate high grade cards in there, send them in to one of the TPGs.
I once spent 10K on two raw Detroit Free Press PCs (Jennings and Cobb) from a Lipset auction. Lew was no thief bit he didn't care about grading cards. In addition, the DFP cards were not registry cards and not widely collected, i.e. very rare. I spent about 10 seconds thinking before pulling the trigger.

That being said, anyone who buys raw Mantles and Robinsons in "high grade" from this or any auction or even from eBay, expecting the cards to grade, needs to have his head examined. This issue has been discussed many times and there's no good reason to do so. Any auctioneer who is hoping to maximize returns would get the cards graded -- unless they expect an A grade. If the auction house advertises the cards as possibly altered then that's all anyone can and should expect from them and the risk is on the buyer.

Last edited by calvindog; 03-07-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:48 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Slow day at the office, Peter? Answer my question. What was Battlefield supposed to do with their inventory?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Slow day at the office, Peter? Answer my question. What was Battlefield supposed to do with their inventory?
Burn it at the stake.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:

Our policy is in line with all other auction houses. Grading is subjective and and no auction house can guarantee that their grades will line up exactly with a TPG.
Right but you are not like other houses. You are just now running your first auction. You have no hobby presence before this. You have consignments from your parents who defrauded the public with altered cards and enhanced scans to name just a few significant difference.

Quote:
We have posted clear images of all of the items in the auction and tried to point out any relevant flaws.
Again, your images are very small and it is impossible to assess the card. I sell mostly graded cards and the scans I use for those are 3 times the size of that you are using.

Quote:
As I have said previously (and added to the Auction Rules on the website), if any card that we haven't described as altered is sent in for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card to us for a full refund.
Earlier in the thread I mentioned that your rules state you will give a full refund if a card comes back as altered that was not described as such. I think that is a step in the right direction but my concern is with your use of the word "appears" in your description which leads one to believe the card is not going to be in the condition stated were it to be sent in for grading. Maybe it is just me I only use the word "appears" in a card description when the card looks better than it is otherwise I assign a grade and put up a large scan and stand behind the grade.

You are expecting us to rely on your assessment having no established credibility in the industry, providing us with a small scan, offering no recourse and selling cards that belong to family members whose practice it was to misrepresented their product.

I wish you luck but been in business a long time and this does not sound legit to me. I hope I am wrong and if so I will issue you an apology but if I am right there will be a lot of people scammed who will not have a voice because eBay will not be there to insist they get a refund for an item significantly not as described.

Greg
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need. Daniel
Hoo Boy! When the going gets tough, always play the Jesus card. If that doesn't convince all the fence-straddlers, nothing will.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Burn it at the stake.

LOL, come on, Jeff. As I already stated (and as someone confirmed 3 posts above), altered and trimmed cards DO have a place in the hobby.

Peter chastises Candiman for purchasing Battlefield's inventory, I'm just curious what Peter thinks should have happened to it?
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Scott Russell

I don't know about throwing away trimmed cards but I do hate auctioning them because I hate the thought of them passing into unscrupulous hands after my sale. I do frequently reject cards I suspect of trimming, not even consenting to sell them as trimmed. Autographs that aren't authentic I ask the consignor if I can dispose of them and I literally destroy them and throw away the remains. If the consignor requests it obviously I have to return them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Asked and answered. Once more: anyone acquiring Battlefield's inventory should, in light of their history and reputation, send in any high dollar card they think is legit to a TPG for grading. I have no problem selling altered cards as altered.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Hoo Boy! When the going gets tough, always play the Jesus card. If that doesn't convince all the fence-straddlers, nothing will.
If this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Burn it at the stake.
I'll take them before you do that....and get every last one of them in a slab.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I'm keeping an open mind. While I do think the cards that aren't known to be altered should be graded, the explanation is plausible. The biggest factor for me is the fact that Daniel came here, and has stuck around to take a beating. There was very little reason for him to do so. If their intentions were nefarious, they would have been better off just ignoring the board.

I do believe that a lot of the cards will come back altered for reasons that they didn't plan on. Screw down compression being the big one that is often overlooked. Also measuring ok doesn't mean a card isn't trimmed. The bottom line is I think they probably aren't well versed in identifying all of the possibilities of alterations, and that might bite them.

I also would like to see higher resolution pictures.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian sports cards View Post
if this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:23 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Asked and answered. Once more: anyone acquiring Battlefield's inventory should, in light of their history and reputation, send in any high dollar card they think is legit to a TPG for grading. I have no problem selling altered cards as altered.
No, Peter, you still have not answered the question. You're just BSing at this point. The answer you gave was not to the question I asked.

You faulted Candiman for taking Battlefield's inventory (see your quote below). I didn't ask you what he was supposed to happen to the inventory once it was obtained. You made that answer clear. I'm asking you why are you faulting Candiman for taking the inventory in the first place?

Quote:
And after all, despite trashing Battlefield, they took all their inventory.
Again, you ARE grasping for straws for faulting them for taking Battlefield's inventory.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

OK David I see, I should have been more precise and said, after all, they are taking Battlefield's inventory and selling most of it as unaltered. That's what seems inconsistent to me with trashing them as unethical. If they had done the appropriate thing with the inventory, I wouldn't have a problem with taking it per se.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
OK David I see, I should have been more precise and said, after all, they are taking Battlefield's inventory and selling most of it as unaltered. That's what seems inconsistent to me with trashing them as unethical. If they had done the appropriate thing with the inventory, I wouldn't have a problem with taking it per se.
Gotcha! I apologize for any confusion. I interpreted it differently. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself.

Daniel
How do you know for sure that you haven't done business with anyone here in the past?

Here are your words from an earlier post:

"...we love this hobby and enjoy buying and selling items we have collected for the better part of our lives."

The probability is high that you have dealt with one of us in the past.

My opinion is that you have indeed dealt with many of us in the past, but you did so under your other usernames, Battlefield and War Eagle.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.
Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities. However, had you been following, reading and actually comprehending all posts in this thread, you might understand that your accusations were / are false and unwarranted.

HINT: re-read post #161.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

I am not commenting on the auction and wish them luck but the question is: Was Battlefield REALLY a woman or was it really a guy that was hiding behind someone else.

I am very curious and these new guys know the truth.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Tony

Quote:
Hi Tony,

We don't accept PayPal (which is the policy of virtually every other auction house). We DO accept all major credit cards. Many auction houses are strictly money order, cashier's check, personal check, or wire transfer.

Thanks,

Daniel
Actually, your wrong, several auctions houses already accept paypal and several more are moving towards that. For many, it's also convenient; In your particular situation, the reason I suggest it, is because although you might be telling the truth {might, being the key word}, it will provide any buyers with more protection particularly if item is not as described. You must admit the questionable practices of the past and current inventory in the current auction DO NOT inspire confidence.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. We are being found guilty by association. Who has control over their parents actions or any other person for that matter? The only thing you can do in this life is control your own actions. I know who I am as a person. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need.

I have said this over and over and over, we do not in any way, shape, or form support the actions of Battlefield over the past several years on eBay. We are NOT them. We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself. Yet we are being attacked, insulted, and not taken seriously because of other peoples actions. That is not the response Leon said I would receive if I was honest and explained the situation. I look forward to proving everyone on this forum wrong and I will continue to be active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Daniel
I can't speak for him but I have to assume Jesus does not support attempts to deceive customers by selling altered cards as authentic and unaltered, or enhancing scans and describing cards that are vg-ex as NM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would not presume to judge or even comment on anyone's faith and fully respect it, but just anecdotally, back in the 90s, one of the leading card doctors who sold blatantly trimmed crap through SCD was also a preacher. It seemed incongruous.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Ugh, thanks. Didn't spot it because it was only a partial quote.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities. However, had you been following, reading and actually comprehending all posts in this thread, you might understand that your accusations were / are false and unwarranted.

HINT: re-read post #161.
I'm an agnostic, so I have no religious sensibilities. That being said I can recognize something offensive when I see it and the fact that the quote DOES exist doesn't change my point. If this had been fabricated (which is all I said) it's in very poor taste. You could've merely done what Peter did and refer me to the post without actually insulting religious people.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dave,

How dare you mock my faith. I have ZERO respect for someone who would come on a forum like this and mock someones faith. Especially someone they've never even met or talked to. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leon, I would hope that this post will be removed and that no other members of this forum would support comments like this. I am fine being attacked but I will not support someone attacking mine or anyone else's faith.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
And you have been equally clear that if a card you list as NM MT comes back a 5 or 6, or is clearly EX or EX MT upon visual inspection, there is no recourse.
Peter,

Yes that is our policy which is in line with every other auction house in the industry. If by looking at the pictures posted and reading our descriptions you don't agree with our assessment then bid accordingly. The policy is clearly posted for everyone to see prior to bidding.

Again, if ANY card in the auction that we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card for a full refund.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Earlier in the thread I mentioned that your rules state you will give a full refund if a card comes back as altered that was not described as such. I think that is a step in the right direction but my concern is with your use of the word "appears" in your description which leads one to believe the card is not going to be in the condition stated were it to be sent in for grading. Maybe it is just me I only use the word "appears" in a card description when the card looks better than it is otherwise I assign a grade and put up a large scan and stand behind the grade.

Greg
Greg,

I think people are overthinking the word "appears". It only means that by our evaluation a card appears to be in ____ condition. If I'm evaluating a card and say "this card appears to be NM to me" I don't see any problem with that. I believe our grades are accurate but as we all know grading is subjective. It is only our opinion. That's why there are images of every card in the auction posted for everyone to see so potential bidders can make their own judgement before placing a bid.

Daniel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
I'm keeping an open mind. While I do think the cards that aren't known to be altered should be graded, the explanation is plausible. The biggest factor for me is the fact that Daniel came here, and has stuck around to take a beating. There was very little reason for him to do so. If their intentions were nefarious, they would have been better off just ignoring the board.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for keeping an open mind. You seem to be one of the only people on here doing so. You are correct I have come on here and took a beating for things I had nothing to do with and do not support. I'm not going to rehash what I've said previously. I couldn't have been more clear that I do not support any of Battlefield's actions on eBay. It is there for everyone to see. I am not going anywhere. I will continue to be active on the forum. I can handle the attacks.

Daniel
Cha.rles He.nry

In the 1990's right before and in the beginning of PSA card grading, quite a few big card dealers were opposed to the idea of card grading. Very few collectors had computers and there was no Ebay. SCD was a source for many including myself to buy cards. Some dealers would put their cards in holders and put a tamperproof sticker across the opening so if you wanted to inspect the cards there was no returning the cards because the seal was broken. Many trimmed and cards that had creases were sold that way. TC Card Co was the most honest dealer of all my dealings through SCD. When he said a card was NM/MT it was. Do any of you guys remember those days?
As a side note I was at the 1989? show in Atlantic City. In the elevator one guy was telling another "We're going to have a good show, I'm going to make the T cards Mint" The card graders are not prefect, but you are much better off with them than without them in my opinion. Trimming was rampant before them.
To the brothers starting the new auction company: You have to have all the cards graded nowadays; all signed pieces too. Everything has to be graded; that's just how it's done. Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I can't speak for him but I have to assume Jesus does not support attempts to deceive customers by selling altered cards as authentic and unaltered, or enhancing scans and describing cards that are vg-ex as NM.
Jesse,

I agree with you. You can choose to believe me or not but I had nothing to do with what went on with Battlefield on eBay. If you want to find me guilty by association then that's your prerogative. If we are all guilty by association then I'm sure every single person on the forum is guilty of something bad.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter,

Yes that is our policy which is in line with every other auction house in the industry. If by looking at the pictures posted and reading our descriptions you don't agree with our assessment then bid accordingly. The policy is clearly posted for everyone to see prior to bidding.

Again, if ANY card in the auction that we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card for a full refund.

Daniel
Do you seriously not see why so many people here are skeptical/reluctant? What descriptions? "Appears NM-MT" and tough luck if you get the card in hand and you disagree. What are your qualifications? And as was pointed out above, your scans are inadequate to make those sorts of judgments. By the way, have you closely examined each card under a loupe for the tiny flaws that can affect grading? Tons of cards can "appear" NM MT on a mid size scan or to the naked eye but aren't.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Dave,

How dare you mock my faith. I have ZERO respect for someone who would come on a forum like this and mock someones faith. Especially someone they've never even met or talked to. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leon, I would hope that this post will be removed and that no other members of this forum would support comments like this. I am fine being attacked but I will not support someone attacking mine or anyone else's faith.

Daniel
I would agree with you, however realize that waving your faith as a banner in a forum that has nothing to do with faith is going to attract attention. Some of it will not be positive. I generally don't condone mocking anyone on a generic basis, I prefer to be specific. I would defend your right to your faith, but I might be tempted to give you grief for irrelevantly bringing it into this thread. I didn't, but I might.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Ken McMillan

Daniel, have no problem with you or Battlefield and when I bought from Battlefield, was aa flawless transaction. I would have no problem bidding in your auction as you seem legitimate. Only Issue I have is there is nothing there I am interested in as is true for most auctions including ebay. Not your fault on this one as I have a very narrow focus of collecting. Good luck on your acution and I wish you the best. As with any auction including the big ones, it is always Caveat Emptor.

Kmac

Last edited by kmac32; 03-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Daniel, you may not believe this, but the "attacks" you have received are very mild compared to many other threads over the years. Leon was not deceiving you there. In fact you have received more support than I expected.

And I understand you being upset that your faith may have been questioned. Many of us feel that adhering to a religion is serious stuff and a religious person should provide more ethical transactions. Unfortunately, there are many who use religion to prey on others honesty and then take advantage of them. That includes here and especially on eBay. While sticking with your faith is admirable, it doesn't help because of others that came before you. As a Christian, even I am wary when I see eBay dealers profess their faith. More often than not they are using it to deceive. Ive learned it's best to leave faith out of business discussions. Save it for future one-on-one dealings with those you know personally.