NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The evolution of Ebay to a fixed price platform explained

We all know that the Ebay of today is quite different from the Ebay of 10-15 years ago. Auction volume has decreased dramatically and been replaced by the Ebay Store catering to both high volume sellers and high volume consignors in what is left of the auction format. I am attaching a link to a paper that tries to explain the reasons behind this evolution from an academic perspective. I found it interesting in that the data presented confirms my empirical observations. It is quite long, but worth a look. The link provided may not open the article, depending on your browser settings for pdf documents, but may download the article to your computer, where you can open it.

https://web.stanford.edu/~jdlevin/Papers/AFP.pdf

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-12-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Jay Shelton

Frank:
Thanks for the link. Very enlightening article. I found it interesting that in the Alternate Hypothesis section, this sentence stood out to me: The first is
changes in the eBay platform that might have favored posted price listings.
After reading the paper, it seemed to me (from the mathematical analysis of the writers) that even though fixed (or posted) prices were introduced in 2002 in eBay, the straight auction format was still going strong in 2003. I think a major factor in the change from 100% auction environment to now a less-than-50% auction environment was eBay's decision (over a period of time) to change its business model for better financial gain on their part, thus producing the current environment that favors large volume sellers (through perks and discounts in listing fees, number of listings, etc.).

Gone, I believe, are the days in which infrequent sellers (I would be part of that equation) used eBay as an "electronic garage sale" to sell items to a much larger demographic than a local backyard weekend sale. If I had extra stuff (baseball cards, vintage toys, comics, video games, books, etc.), I could post on ebay and realize some money, even after shipping costs, eBay seller fees, etc. Now, with very few exceptions, anything I've tried to sell on eBay (cards, game-used jerseys, etc.) have been at a loss when factoring in seller fees (item cost + shipping cost percentages), shipping costs (gone up quite a bit since when I first joined eBay in 1998), etc.

This is one reason I hardly ever sell on eBay anymore. I still buy on eBay from time to time, and still mostly favor the auction formats, but I guess that's because I'm old school. Of course, bargains can be had on many BIN items, especially when one price compares with other online "fixed price" venues such as amazon.com, sports collectible dealers, etc....

Thanks, Frank!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 AM
A.J. Johnson

Craigslist has replaced eBay as the local go to for selling "yard sale" type stuff
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 05-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Paul S

It's too bad, in my opinion, because eBay used to be great for setting a market price. I used to sell restored 1940s telephones (called Lucy phones, because one was used prominently in "I Love Lucy") on eBay. I'd always list them at .99 cents and see where the market took them. Some weeks they'd sell for $120, sometimes for $150, sometimes for $100. But I was always confident that the market would determine a relatively fair price. I actually wrote eBay a long letter urging them to encourage more of what I termed "eBay market pricing" by giving extra discounts for anyone listing an item at auction for .99 cents or less. Instead, they went the other direction, and encouraged people to list lots of items for set prices. I would now be hesitant to just list an item for .99 cents.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
I would now be hesitant to just list an item for .99 cents.
It's weird - it's been very much a mixed bag for me. I am not a major eBay seller by any means but will use it to move duplicates or other items I pick up as parts of collections if I don't sell them here.

I've listed items that have sat and sat with what I felt was a very fair selling price. If it sits too long, I will generally start it at $.99 just to get something for it. Sometimes I don't get what I wanted for it, but often it will encourage more bidders and either reach/exceed my initial asking price or it will come very close to it at a point where I would have gladly sold it to begin with.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
pete ullman

I'm glad I could help keep you busy in retirement!!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
I actually wrote eBay a long letter urging them to encourage more of what I termed "eBay market pricing" by giving extra discounts for anyone listing an item at auction for .99 cents or less. Instead, they went the other direction, and encouraged people to list lots of items for set prices. I would now be hesitant to just list an item for .99 cents.

Ebay does encourage user's to use the auction format.....they now go as far as offering to credit back a seller's listing fees on any auction listing that sells. You only pay for the listing if it does NOT sell.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Don't the higher final value fees of today more than offset the benevolent credit of a listing fee?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-12-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Larry More.y

I do not recall the previous FVF rates for sports cards sold on ebay, however, the 9% (or 7.2% FVF for TRS) in FVF currently being charged has been in place for 4+/- years (?).

With ebay now offering the listing fee credit for sold auctions listings and improved discounts on listing fees for store owners, this would be the first time that I can recall an instance where ebay offered a reduction in listing fees without an offsetting increase in fees elsewhere.

If I recall correctly, several years back the FVF rate was higher, but was reduced by approximately 2% when ebay began charging FVF on the s/h collected. For most this sellers, this change did not increase costs, however, the "free s/h" sellers obviously did benefit from this.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would like to hear the authors' take on Dean's Cards.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Paul S

Interesting article. It reaches the conclusion that much of the decline in auctions is due to consumer demand (consumers prefer not to wait for auctions to end), rather than particular actions by eBay or changes in the type of people who are selling on eBay. Which is not what I had thought. It also says that most of the people who buy things at auctions on eBay now are the professionals, and that they tend to get a discount by doing so, whereas ordinary consumers prefer buy-it-now, and pay higher prices for the convenience.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Interesting article. It reaches the conclusion that much of the decline in auctions is due to consumer demand (consumers prefer not to wait for auctions to end), rather than particular actions by eBay or changes in the type of people who are selling on eBay. Which is not what I had thought. It also says that most of the people who buy things at auctions on eBay now are the professionals, and that they tend to get a discount by doing so, whereas ordinary consumers prefer buy-it-now, and pay higher prices for the convenience.
Interesting yes, but I would not accept their conclusions as gospel. I would venture to say that many of the items that sit in eBay stores for months at museum prices wound command more interest from consumers if they were in 99 cent auctions. In the good old days the mean sales price would define the market value, with an equal number above and below the mean. Sellers have less risk with fixed price sales to be sure, but buyer "convenience" is a stretch to explain the decline in auction volume in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would like to hear the authors' take on Dean's Cards.
The business model of Dean's Cards would not seem to be consistent with the conclusions of the article.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A big load of noise designed to put an academic gloss on the only fact that really matters: "Auction listings are also more likely to sell than matched posted price listings, but at lower prices.." And "Frequent buyers tend to focus more on auctions, and they get better bargains when they are bidding." So let me get this straight: sellers gravitate towards selling mechanisms that make them more money? Whodathunkit?

Mic drop...

The days of throwing up cards at $0.99 and letting it rip are over, unless you like to lose money or you consign to an eBay consignment seller and hand over control of the minimum bid to him (which is why I won't use one of them ever again). After the beating that I took in auctions a few years ago when I needed to liquidate some items and allowed them to start at $9.99 via a consignment seller, I would never, ever risk a low starting bid auction again. If I use an auction I start the card at the minimum price I want for it. If I get one bid I am just fine with that but if there are multiple bidders I get the upside. I know a lot of weekend warriors who are in the same boat and who do what I do or use BINs w/ or w/o Best Offer.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-13-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Default Times are a'changin

I think the significant economic downturn that started in 2008 impacted true auction style ending prices. I am sure that left bad taste in many mouths. Sellers were then (and still are) gun shy of getting crushed.

Now, with a much recovered economy, we are seeing better auction prices. If anything, auction prices are very good. I can't speak for others, but I have not won a significant card in a long time - have always been over bid by 1-4 bidders. PWCC and Probstein are not the only true auctions now getting respectable prices - even some little guys auctions I have bid on ended up over what I bid.

But granted, it does take a certain amount of guts to list at $0.99
Old 05-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

The days of throwing up cards at $0.99 and letting it rip are over
But why do you think that is? Do you think because it never really worked and people figured that out, or because it used to work but something has changed?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Prior to 2010 I used use auction listings almost exclusively on eBay. Mostly starting items at 1 cent but I also would use a "retail" opening bid on items I was worried might not get the price I wanted in hopes of catching the one bidder. I liked the fast conversion from cardboard to cash.

Due to the changes in the search function categories, the sheer volume of listings buyers have to sift through and the continual flow of material in catalog type auctions outside of eBay, auction final prices were very unimpressive.

I now use the store listings, almost exclusively, and use auctions to move much less valuable items. I am very happy with this model now that I have conformed to it. Inventory does not turn over as quickly because there are not as many page views but when they sell I get what I want and I am willing and able to wait it out.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 PM

I discovered eBay in 1998 and reinstituted collecting sports cards which I had done as a kid in the 60s. The shift from the auction format to BINs makes eBay less enticing to me as a collector.

I figure I have purchased roughly 500 items since I joined in 1998. The vast majority were won in auctions prior to the shift to the BIN format. Speaking strictly as a collector and without criticism of sellers/consignors, the auction prices to me represent fair market value, as opposed to typically higher priced BINs. And, just as important to me, the auctions were a lot more fun than the current system.

I wonder if it would benefit any seller to list (some of) his items with either opening bid or reserve set 5 or 10% below VCP values. If eBay rules permit, could add a BIN as well effective until first bid. If a dopey idea, so be it. Little effect on me regardless, as tough to feed the collecting habit on a gov't pension.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Our stories mirror each other a little bit. I found collecting again in approximately late 1996 and joined ebay in 1999, after collecting as a kid in the late 60s and early 70s. I knew it would change the landscape and it has. Good, bad or indifferent it has changed things. Overall I think it has greatly helped the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
I discovered eBay in 1998 and reinstituted collecting sports cards which I had done as a kid in the 60s. The shift from the auction format to BINs makes eBay less enticing to me as a collector.

I figure I have purchased roughly 500 items since I joined in 1998. The vast majority were won in auctions prior to the shift to the BIN format. Speaking strictly as a collector and without criticism of sellers/consignors, the auction prices to me represent fair market value, as opposed to typically higher priced BINs. And, just as important to me, the auctions were a lot more fun than the current system.

I wonder if it would benefit any seller to list (some of) his items with either opening bid or reserve set 5 or 10% below VCP values. If eBay rules permit, could add a BIN as well effective until first bid. If a dopey idea, so be it. Little effect on me regardless, as tough to feed the collecting habit on a gov't pension.