NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The $1500 Comma

A November sale by Memory Lane

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...p2047675.l2557

Earlier this evening's sale by Probstein

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter-...p2047675.l2557

Same holder ?

Same flip with the same number in both auctions

Comma between Johnson and Washington was there in November and seems to have vanished by January.

What do you think is going on here?

The Comma thread started last evening is about this card and I apologize to the OP for starting a new thread, but, except for my PMs, it was generating little interest. Maybe the title of this thread will elicit a bit more response.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 PM
pete ullman

They must have used the 104 yr disappearing ink when the comma was printed.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Jason S!m@nds

It's the scanner. Rick has his "Dust Removal" setting on and it will take away specs and dust on the glass.

Nothing funny going on here.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Ruben

What's real and what's not???
Apparently the grading companies are not catching these alterations doe by pros
the color seemed to have improved as well lol
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Marc

What Jason said is correct. This is something that shows up...or rather, disappears...pretty often due to the scanner settings. I just bought this one a few days ago, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Lucky-W...vip=true&rt=nc

I bought it for the interesting offset registration, but it appears the comma is missing as well. In hand, the comma is there as usual.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM

I bought a T206 off ebay last year that had a comma missing and when I got it, the comma was there. I told the seller about it and he said he has the dust removal setting on and he also offered to take the card back. I kept it anyway because I paid market value and it didn't say anything about the comma in the listing.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Robert Williams

I have had stuff "disappear' when I use the DUST REMOVAL setting as well. Mainly the period on half graded cards (8.5's turn into 8 5).

I have also had it "fill in" A's, O's and other letters.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 01-22-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The comma is easily explainable – dust filter.

What’s even more odd than the comma is the recent transaction history.

Card is sold by Probstein for $3549 on 9/17/13
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter-...ht_1086wt_1042

Card appears in Memory Lane, but never sells (Frank, I don’t think your link is actually a “sold” item). Card fails to sell at Memory Lane on 9/2/14 with a BIN of $3250. This is what I find most odd – why would Memory Lane list the card at $3250 when it just when it just sold by Probstein for $3549?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1755wt_1171

About two weeks later, the card re-appears in Probstein’s auction this time selling for $4733
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter-...ht_1074wt_1042
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Card appears in Memory Lane, but never sells (Frank, I don’t think your link is actually a “sold” item). Card fails to sell at Memory Lane on 9/2/14 with a BIN of $3250. This is what I find most odd – why would Memory Lane list the card at $3250 when it just when it just sold by Probstein for $3549?
Ebay does show that it did sell with Memory Lane in November as a buy it now.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Ebay does show that it did sell with Memory Lane in November as a buy it now.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc
Maybe a deadbeat bidder? Because he difinelty relisted it and it failed to sell in the auction ending January 2nd.

Still very odd though that is had just sold in Probstein's auction for $3549, but then for ML to turn around and list it with a BIN of $3250, potentially loosing nearly $300 and then Probstein turns around and sells it for $4733.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The comma is easily explainable – dust filter.

What’s even more odd than the comma is the recent transaction history.

Card is sold by Probstein for $3549 on 9/17/13
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter-...ht_1086wt_1042

About two weeks later, the card re-appears in Probstein’s auction this time selling for $4733
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Walter-...ht_1074wt_1042
Maybe Rick could use a shill bidder filter? Or spend the big bucks for either a fraud filter or a morality filter?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Maybe Rick could use a shill bidder filter? Or spend the big bucks for either a fraud filter or a morality filter?
Banning guys with excessive retractions would be a start. When I spoke with him he says since ebay allows it he is only doing what ebay allows. He said he does ban some when they are called attention to. I think he needs to be a bit more vigilant though.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Banning guys with excessive retractions would be a start. When I spoke with him he says since ebay allows it he is only doing what ebay allows. He said he does ban some when they are called attention to. I think he needs to be a bit more vigilant though.
That sounds inconsistent to me. I allow it because ebay allows it, but I ban them when they are called to my attention. ??

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That sounds inconsistent to me. I allow it because ebay allows it, but I ban them when they are called to my attention. ??
I am only repeating what I was told. I think he was meaning when called to attention he looks at the egregious ones and goes from there. Heck, his phone number and email are everywhere, if you don't believe me, call him.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

I was questioning his position, not you.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

For those of us learning to be hobby police deputies, I have captured the image below, which is a dust filter. It will hold a lot of commas. I have no idea how this contraption connects to my scanner. Maybe Vincent Van Gopher or Roger Raccoon knows how this thing works. Dagnabit.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
For those of us learning to be hobby police deputies, I have captured the image below, which is a dust filter. It will hold a lot of commas. I have no idea how this contraption connects to my scanner. Maybe Vincent Van Gopher or Roger Raccoon knows how this thing works. Dagnabit.
Forget asking Roger Raccoon, I think Sigmund would have quite a bit to say about your phallic symbol that has been collecting dust.

Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Matt

No conspiracy; just dust removal setting on a scanner. Mulder and Scully can be reassigned now. Whew.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Dave

Dust removal settings also making people think that photoshop is being used on cards to get rid of various print marks and stray dots on cards.

Maybe not a good idea to use that tool on items you are selling.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Another way to get rid of dust on the holder, is to just wipe it off. I breathe on the holder, then wipe it off with one of those little cloths made for eyeglasses. That's what I've been doing for years, and the difference it makes can be amazing.

As far as the 'dust removal' scanner setting, does it remove anything else from the card itself, other than commas? (e.g-small comma-sized marks or dirt)?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Another way to get rid of dust on the holder, is to just wipe it off. I breathe on the holder, then wipe it off with one of those little cloths made for eyeglasses. That's what I've been doing for years, and the difference it makes can be amazing.

As far as the 'dust removal' scanner setting, does it remove anything else from the card itself, other than commas? (e.g-small comma-sized marks or dirt)?
Very possible.

I know on bazooka cards it can remove pieces of the dotted line around the edge of the card.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
When I spoke with him he says since ebay allows it he is only doing what ebay allows.
I have never chimed in on this guy but this is a BS comment if this was said.

It's not illegal to be a televangelist and take little old lady's money either...but it’s still a dick thing to do.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
S Gross

[QUOTE=Runscott;1231063]Another way to get rid of dust on the holder, is to just wipe it off. I breathe on the holder, then wipe it off with one of those little cloths made for eyeglasses. That's what I've been doing for years, and the difference it makes can be amazing.QUOTE]

Scott, that sounds pretty tough and low-tech

Homer: Hey, what's Lucky hooked up to?
Woman: It's a respirator. It breathes for him.
Homer: And here I am using my own lungs like a sucker.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Yes, it won't get rid of blotches or flat stains, but will disappear specks of dirt, print marks. Depending on how the software is reading the item you are scanning, it will disappear some things and leave other things behind.

I usually just use a handled fabric screen cleaner to wipe down my scanner after every few scans or so. Scanners do attract quite a bit of dust pretty quickly for some reason or another (maybe it's just my house and all the animals running around), but it can be easily remedied.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
I have never chimed in on this guy but this is a BS comment if this was said.

It's not illegal to be a televangelist and take little old lady's money either...but it’s still a dick thing to do.
He did say it and I wasn't enthused either.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
He did say it and I wasn't enthused either.
Leon trust you, just amazed that that's the stance amazing.....
Old 01-22-2014, 04:20 PM

I bought a George Brown t206 from Probstein a couple months back. I bought it because I thought it was a magic "Piedmont 50 Subjects" and thought the 1 was never printed. Not the case. Must be scanner issues.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
I bought a George Brown t206 from Probstein a couple months back. I bought it because I thought it was a magic "Piedmont 50 Subjects" and thought the 1 was never printed. Not the case. Must be scanner issues.
And here I always thought that Baker was the "dusty" One (1).

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Commas can be big money sometimes, Frank. Add one, delete one,... ya' never know.....