NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2018, 06:17 AM

Default P2 pin questions

I'm looking for a set for my 8 year old daughter and I to build together that won't break the bank and is easily obtainable so I've been looking at the p2 sweet corporal pins. What is the toughest pin to obtain in this set? I know the cobb will carry the a premium and the large letters variation are a little tougher to obtain.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default pins

I don't really have a solid answer to your question about which pin is the toughest to collect. Hopefully, more experienced collectors will weigh in. I have only started buying and selling P2 pins this year. The PSA registry shows several pins with thirty or less graded examples. I assume that they would be the most difficult to obtain. The large letter variation is definitely tougher to find, than small letter examples.

When you think about cost it would be a good choice for a pre-war collection. Most commons sell between $20-40 dollars on eBay. The HOFers from $40-100. Cobb, Matty, Young will cost more, but they will not break the bank. You can find deals if you buy in large lots, or catch a deal on an individual pin on an eBay auction. I'm not big on buying graded examples. The loose pins are quite a bit cheaper, and you can buy Nickle/Quarter coin mounts to protect them in at any hobby shop.

Condition is important. Watch out for stains, dents or rust. Many pins are missing the lock pin or have various degrees of paper loss on the reverse. In addition to the large letter, small letter variation, you can also find pink paper advertisements on the reverse.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 09-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Hank Thomas

B-18 blankets are also quite affordable, a real bargain I've always thought, and so colorful and attractive, a kid might really go for those. If she has a favorite team available in B-18s, it's cool to frame the nine players in a diamond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0495 (640x480).jpg (40.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:43 PM
Craig L.

Default B18 or T201s

I completed a T201 set recently, was fairly easy and extremely affordable. I searched Beckett and SCD annuals for my next set. P2s were and in the future may be again in my site's. I decided to go with the B18 set, I love these suckers. Very affordable, some teams are easy to complete one of the 2/3 color variations, tougher teams/colors are easy to find but usually overpriced. I am finding patience pays off. Just my opinion and let us know what direction you take.

BTW: Cool display Hank

Craig
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back

Last edited by chlankf; 09-16-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Christina Vader - banned

Default P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
I'm looking for a set for my 8 year old daughter and I to build together that won't break the bank and is easily obtainable so I've been looking at the p2 sweet corporal pins. What is the toughest pin to obtain in this set? I know the cobb will carry the a premium and the large letters variation are a little tougher to obtain.

P2's are such a neat little item!! I think the totem pole of HOF players carries over to P2 pins with large being harder than small letters thruout the set on the variants. Seems like PSA does not give OC or MC on any yet it is easy to find basic PSA 5 pins badly off center!?

CV
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlankf View Post
I decided to go with the B18 set, I love these suckers. Very affordable, some teams are easy to complete one of the 2/3 color variations, tougher teams/colors are easy to find but usually overpriced. I am finding patience pays off. Just my opinion and let us know what direction you take.

BTW: Cool display Hank

Craig
Thanks, Craig. I had a beautiful WaJo, then about 20 or so years ago, David Festberg auctioned off his B-18 team sets, stars individually and the rest of the teams as a lot. I got the Washington lot for $160. When I got them, I couldn't believe the condition--all were gem mint and full borders except for one with a small and barely perceptible stain. I called David to thank him and tell him how pleased I was, and he told me that his B-18s were the product of many years of upgrading. Then I started laying them out, and was amazed to see that the nine of them made a perfect diamond with each player in his position. How perfect! So I took them to my framer and had him do them with archival tape like that. I love this piece, and of all the great things I have on my wall, it always draws attention. As I said, B-18s are SOOO underappreciated, also undervalued, but to find really mint ones is a challenge. I guess they were packaged with tobacco and somewhat exposed to it. Also, the cut of the borders can be problematic, finding nice full borders isn't easy, either. This was WaJo's first good team, by the way, and they stayed together for four years, finishing second in the A.L. twice.