NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Ethan

Default Frederick Photo Cards

I'm interested in seeing any cards from this scarce set that anyone might have.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

LOL, since you traded for the Frederick's Foto Ruth, how often will you post about it?
Old 08-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
LOL, since you traded for the Frederick's Foto Ruth, how often will you post about it?
It's a fair question...I wasn't planning to post another picture of it, but hey maybe I will. LOL!! was hoping to see any other Frederick Foto cards of players if people here have them.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM
pete ullman

FF cards are rare...you just don't see many at all.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here are a few different type fronts from my last collection...

Old 08-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Ethan

Default FF

Leon:

Those are beautiful...wondering if anyone has ever attempted to pull together the set.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
LOL, I am glad your "comment" didn't ruin a great thread. Nice try though.

And it looks like JLange (hey Jlange) might need to add 3 more cards to his Mails want list?

Last edited by Leon; 08-30-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Just for discussion sake, what makes these "cards". The issuer was the photographer which essentially just makes them photographs. They were not issued in conjunction with products (like 19th century card/photos) from anything I have seen and other sets of photographs do not get the same respect and classification. If they were 5x7 or 8X10 they would certainly just be a set of photos yet other series of photographs like those from the American League Service Bureau (which are actually numbered like cards) would fall into this same category. I know they are small and look like traditional baseball cards, but they clearly were developed on a full sheet with essentially no borders and trimmed down by the photographer.

At their base root, these are tiny "type 3" photographs developed in composite form and trimmed then given away by a photo studio in Sacramento. I have no skin in the game and am not trying to be controversial at all, just curious why these are "cards" and other sets of superior photographs (off their original negatives) from studios are not? I would be interested in others thoughts and I am in NO WAY downplaying anyone's cards or collections.

Rhys
Old 08-30-2018, 10:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Just for discussion sake, what makes these "cards". The issuer was the photographer which essentially just makes them photographs. They were not issued in conjunction with products (like 19th century card/photos) from anything I have seen and other sets of photographs do not get the same respect and classification. If they were 5x7 or 8X10 they would certainly just be a set of photos yet other series of photographs like those from the American League Service Bureau (which are actually numbered like cards) would fall into this same category. I know they are small and look like traditional baseball cards, but they clearly were developed on a full sheet with essentially no borders and trimmed down by the photographer.

At their base root, these are tiny "type 3" photographs developed in composite form and trimmed then given away by a photo studio in Sacramento. I have no skin in the game and am not trying to be controversial at all, just curious why these are "cards" and other sets of superior photographs (off their original negatives) from studios are not? I would be interested in others thoughts and I am in NO WAY downplaying anyone's cards or collections.

Rhys
I was thinking the same thing this morning, esp after seeing all the diff mails poses
Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I was thinking the same thing this morning, esp after seeing all the diff mails poses
No opinion on the photo/card issue, but it does make sense that there are multiple poses of Mails, because he played and had a good season for the Sacramento PCL team in 1920, and then made a big splash for the Cleveland Indians late in the 1920 season, going 7-0 and winning a World Series game. Note that all the cards designate him as a Cleveland Indian.

Brian
Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post

Rhys
Rhys, although I have no evidence to say for sure but the size and nature of the cards would circumstantially indicate these were inserted in some sort of candy or gum product in California. The fact that they say Frederick Foto on front is just the photographer marking their images. Not all cards have the Frederick Foto on front (see Shore and Alexander in this thread). Those images may very well have been from a different source. The fact that we know these as Frederick Foto cards is only due to the fact we don’t know who actually “inserted” the cards into their product (that info is likely lost to time), had we been around in California in 1921 and seen who inserted them we would likely know them by a different name.

This isn’t unprecedented in the card world, for example we don’t 100% know who issued the 1913 Oakland Oaks team issue cards but the limited circumstantial evidence seems to indicate them being a Cardinet Candy Co issue, they likely faced pushback from the Zeenut makers (Collins Candy Co) as they had exclusive rights to PCL players images and the following season instead of making cards of hometown Oakland Oaks they made their more famous Texas Tommy issue featuring Major Leaguers from much further away from home.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-30-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Banned

i hope this doesn't ruin thanksgiving
Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 PM

Default want list

Quote:
And it looks like JLange (hey Jlange) might need to add 3 more cards to his Mails want list?
Very cool cards. Want list updated accordingly!