NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Richard Simon

Yeah, but when crazy/stupid try to sell those $1000 baseballs where are they gonna go?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Yeah, but when crazy/stupid try to sell those $1000 baseballs where are they gonna go?
Flea markets. If they're lucky.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

edited: removed non-autograph content, as inappropriate for this forum. My bad.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
edited: removed non-autograph content, as inappropriate for this forum. My bad.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:11 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I thought the 1915 Red Sox photo w/ Ruth went for a good price. I was the high Internet bidder but ended up losing by an increment.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
edited: removed non-autograph content, as inappropriate for this forum. My bad. (sorry about the duplicate post)

This isn't the autograph forum -- this is the vintage memorabilia forum.
Non-autograph content welcome.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post

This isn't the autograph forum -- this is the vintage memorabilia forum.
Non-autograph content welcome.
Well, Jimmy got it. Hey Jimmy - I picked up a group of Ted and Dimaggio photos in the Hunt Ted Williams auction. I would post them here, but none of them are autographed

Last edited by Runscott; 04-29-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM

I'd be worried, they don't come with JSA LOAs.

Last edited by drc; 04-30-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
WillRow.ett III

To put this issue to bed, I have spoken directly to David Hunt, whom I respect and I have dealt with for years. He wouldn't know me if I walked into him, but that's irrelevant.

All I will say is that anyone who does business with this guy should know they are dealing with one of the most honest guys in the industry. Period. I went off the deep end on Saturday and overreacted. Dave and I have not threatened each other, nor do we have any standing disagreement over any aspect of the lot in question or this transaction. And if anyone thinks I've been pressured or persuaded to post this, please think again.

Shit happens, fellas.

EDIT: This doesn't change any statement I made regarding the realized prices on the modern, Green Diamond stuff. Total insanity on the part of those bidders.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 04-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Scott S

Jake, thanks for the update - does that mean you will be keeping the picture?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Jake, thanks for the update - does that mean you will be keeping the picture?
Yes. I didn't get an answer as to why Spence decided to pull their COA and replace it with a no-opinion and while that bothers me, ultimately the photo was too rare IMO to let pass. Regardless of the signature, I'm willing to gamble that this photo could be one of a kind and that was my motivation. The fact that Dave was willing to guarantee it came from Williams possessions provides enough smoke for me that there's fire as well.

Either the autograph is legitimate or it's not. The TPA is hired to offer an opinion. It was given and then taken back. This situation is as strange as you'll find.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Well, Jimmy got it. Hey Jimmy - I picked up a group of Ted and Dimaggio photos in the Hunt Ted Williams auction. I would post them here, but none of them are autographed
Ah. My sarcasm meter must've been on the fritz.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Sorry

The autograph-drama was getting old...again.

But back to what was apparently the only interesting part of this thread: the 'W' is horrible - this is NOT rocket science, and it's a shame that it appears to be so for so many autograph collectors.

Forget about LOA's and COA's until you've first used your God-given eyeballs.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM

That's all well and good for you theists, but what about the rest of us?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Sorry

The autograph-drama was getting old...again.

But back to what was apparently the only interesting part of this thread: the 'W' is horrible - this is NOT rocket science, and it's a shame that it appears to be so for so many autograph collectors.

Forget about LOA's and COA's until you've first used your God-given eyeballs.
So you're saying you don't like it?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

No, I don't like the 'W'. There might be other things wrong with it as well, but that one letter was pretty obvious.

If anyone can show other examples of his signature with a 'W' like that, please do. Then the next step would be to question whether or not those are authentic. Perhaps they were all (if there are more than one) done during Ted's 'creative signature' phase, or maybe they were done by a secretary or someone else signing for Ted.

I am extremely cautious when purchasing something like an autograph - I look at LOTS of examples first, and if there is anything whatsoever about the item that says 'run', I leave it alone and wait for the right one.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
No, I don't like the 'W'. There might be other things wrong with it as well, but that one letter was pretty obvious.

If anyone can show other examples of his signature with a 'W' like that, please do. Then the next step would be to question whether or not those are authentic. Perhaps they were all (if there are more than one) done during Ted's 'creative signature' phase, or maybe they were done by a secretary or someone else signing for Ted.

I am extremely cautious when purchasing something like an autograph - I look at LOTS of examples first, and if there is anything whatsoever about the item that says 'run', I leave it alone and wait for the right one.
Thanks. If we have to move this to another thread so be it but I would like additional feedback. The TPA in question provided a COA and then removed it and gave a no-opinion not a rejection. From my experience that's unique...to say the least. I have purchased the photo regardless but information is appreciated.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-01-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
Thanks. If we have to move this to another thread so be it but I would like additional feedback. The TPA in question provided a COA and then removed it and gave a no-opinion not a rejection. From my experience that's unique...to say the least. I have purchased the photo regardless but information is appreciated.
Since the auction's over now, I doubt anyone really minds. Since I last posted, 'someone' has shown me another example with a 'W' that looks like yours. Could be that's the way he signed during that period.

Bottom line - if you gather what info you can, and you are happy with the situation, then that's all that counts.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Since the auction's over now, I doubt anyone really minds. Since I last posted, 'someone' has shown me another example with a 'W' that looks like yours. Could be that's the way he signed during that period.

Bottom line - if you gather what info you can, and you are happy with the situation, then that's all that counts.
I guess if one looks hard enough information is available.

Check out eBay item # 120855205215

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-40-RED-...#ht_3485wt_922

We're getting warmer...

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
WillRow.ett III

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...e-Signed-Photo

I'm at the end of this journey. Thanks to Dave for the bargain on Lot # 37. It's taken me 5 minutes to find exemplars others say didnt exist.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM

I got there just before the break, which gave me time to walk around and take pics.

I was able to land lot 682, a bat thought to be used by Ted as a hitting instructor. I was happy with the price, I think it ending near the end of the auction helped my cause and my wallet.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yep... the later lots always seem to be a better bargain. I have been to Hunt Live Auctions, in which less than a dozen people remain in the room when things are closing down (last hundred lots or so).

Congrats!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Last edited by thekingofclout; 05-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Banned

i wonder if jsa will reverse his decision now?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Here's one more for you Jake. This stellar c. 1940 Williams GPC belongs to fellow board member Ben (foreveryoung).

Attachment 62486
Wow. Thanks King. The reason for the No-Opinion is that JSA had never encountered that style before. If thats true, it's pretty embarassing in light of what's been provided here, but I don't buy that excuse. The "W" doesn't really match but there's plenty of smoke there.

Is Ben taking offers on that? LOL

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-02-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
i wonder if jsa will reverse his decision now?
Travis, don't bet any money on it. I'll let you know what PSA says for the hell of it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Richard Simon

GPC's can be secretarial, not saying that the above one is, just saying they can be.
Here is one that is from an insurance application in 1949.
I would say with 99.999% certainty that it is authentic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams-closeup.jpg (31.0 KB, 128 views)
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...e-Signed-Photo

I'm at the end of this journey. Thanks to Dave for the bargain on Lot # 37. It's taken me 5 minutes to find exemplars others say didnt exist.
No one said they didn't exist. If you are happy with the examples that you found, and with the signature you bought, then that's all that counts.

I'm overly-cautious when I buy autographed items, and the 'good' examples I found did not match up. But as I stated previously (I think, twice), the thing that bothered me was that no one had any information to give you, despite all the experts on this forum. I finally spoke up with some detail, you found examples, the experts came out of the closet. It's all good.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
No one said they didn't exist. If you are happy with the examples that you found, and with the signature you bought, then that's all that counts.

I'm overly-cautious when I buy autographed items, and the 'good' examples I found did not match up. But as I stated previously (I think, twice), the thing that bothered me was that no one had any information to give you, despite all the experts on this forum. I finally spoke up with some detail, you found examples, the experts came out of the closet. It's all good.
If you don't think the Leyland's example is close to the one I bought then we'll agree to disagree, but then that's the major problem with this entire business, isn't it? I appreciate your candor and you did force the "experts" to come out of the closet. It is very curious that no one stepped up to offer an opinion here other than yourself. I will probably submit this to JSA as well and see what happens.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned

it's just two guys opinion, grad and spence, they don't know any more than you, me or the guys who showed the examples here.

the problem is that if someone like me, richard, or another knowledgable collector on this forum took our time, we could find and catalogue the exemplars shown here and figure it out. but it would take a few hours, jsa and psa don't have a few hours for each autograph they precert.

that is why they have a few minutes to give it thumbs up, thumbs down, or no opinion, which they rarely give a no opinion. that's why their opinion has to be taken with a big grain of salt. they don't have the time to do a thorough investigation.

If it took 7 days of researching for them to figure out that the photo was indeed signed by williams in a vintage form of his signature, then that is something they won't do, because 7 days of salary to them isn't worth it.

but the truth doesn't have a time limit. you can do your own searching, take as much time as you like, and figure it out yourself. and your opinion on the final outcome of whether it is real or not is just as valid, and actually even more valid than the 10 minutes they spent to give an opinion that is under the gun vis-a-vis a time limit.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
it's just two guys opinion, grad and spence, they don't know any more than you, me or the guys who showed the examples here.

the problem is that if someone like me, richard, or another knowledgable collector on this forum took our time, we could find and catalogue the exemplars shown here and figure it out. but it would take a few hours, jsa and psa don't have a few hours for each autograph they precert.

that is why they have a few minutes to give it thumbs up, thumbs down, or no opinion, which they rarely give a no opinion. that's why their opinion has to be taken with a big grain of salt. they don't have the time to do a thorough investigation.

If it took 7 days of researching for them to figure out that the photo was indeed signed by williams in a vintage form of his signature, then that is something they won't do, because 7 days of salary to them isn't worth it.

but the truth doesn't have a time limit. you can do your own searching, take as much time as you like, and figure it out yourself. and your opinion on the final outcome of whether it is real or not is just as valid, and actually even more valid than the 10 minutes they spent to give an opinion that is under the gun vis-a-vis a time limit.
Agreed Travis. Thank you for your insight and help.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Having worked for PSA in the distant past, I know what you speak of when you talk about under the gun with a time limit.
I am sure that Ron Gordon and Jim Stinson will remember being rushed to do our jobs and the one time we asked to stay over another night to do the job properly and we were turned down by the powers that be.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
WillRow.ett III

If you guys are interested in helping me gain some more insight into this signature please PM me. I am willing to compensate you for your time.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Having worked for PSA in the distant past, I know what you speak of when you talk about under the gun with a time limit.

Richard, you know it!

For regular auction lots in a huge auction, they have a few minutes, then they will move on to the next item. if it is a blockbuster item, maybe they will spend more time on it.

if their time is worth 250 dollars an hour, then a 25 dollar submission is worth about 6 minutes of their time. if they spend more than that, they are losing money. so they will go with their best guess. what they should really do is give a no opinion most of the time if they don't know.

but they dont like to do that for 2 reasons.

#1. they don't get paid for it if they give a no opinion.

#2. they think that the collector thinks it is a sign of weakness. if they give a no opinion, then the collector sends it to the other company, which gives an opinion, they think the collector thinks that the first company doesn't know what they are doing because the 2nd company certed it, so the first company kind of feels pressured to give an opinion one way or the other so not to be seen as wishy washy.

what they don't realize is that an honest no opinion is nothing to be embarrassed about. not every autograph in the world can be figured out and it is honest and ethical to give a no opinion.

a no opinion does NOT mean the autograph is bad. some collectors think that this is what it means, but it doesn't. It simply means they cant give a definite opinion one way or another. it still might be good, might not be. but a no opinion is not a death sentence.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
If you don't think the Leyland's example is close to the one I bought then we'll agree to disagree, but then that's the major problem with this entire business, isn't it? I appreciate your candor and you did force the "experts" to come out of the closet. It is very curious that no one stepped up to offer an opinion here other than yourself. I will probably submit this to JSA as well and see what happens.
??? I didn't say anything about the Leyland's example. I'm glad that some good examples have been found that are almost certainly legitimate, that show the pointy-bottomed 'W'.

If you and I had spoken before you bought this photo, I would have said, "The 'W' looks weird - it's pointy-bottomed, and that's not how Williams normally signed. If you really want this photo, go dig around and find examples with pointy-bottomed 'W's, and let's compare them very carefully and decide what the odds are that they are legit."
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
??? I didn't say anything about the Leyland's example. I'm glad that some good examples have been found that are almost certainly legitimate, that show the pointy-bottomed 'W'.

If you and I had spoken before you bought this photo, I would have said, "The 'W' looks weird - it's pointy-bottomed, and that's not how Williams normally signed. If you really want this photo, go dig around and find examples with pointy-bottomed 'W's, and let's compare them very carefully and decide what the odds are that they are legit."
I misunderstood. My bad. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

another collector had posted his 1939 signed photo of ted williams signed front and back on another thread. another pointy bottomed W in each signature, for what it is worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tedfront.jpg (67.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg ted2.jpg (65.5 KB, 161 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
another collector had posted his 1939 signed photo of ted williams signed front and back on another thread. another pointy bottomed W in each signature, for what it is worth.
I nearly bought this in Boston last year. I appreciate the post Travis. A truck load of variations in his 1939-1940 signatures. Who the hell knows in the end.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I nearly bought this in Boston last year. I appreciate the post Travis. A truck load of variations in his 1939-1940 signatures. Who the hell knows in the end.
Yeah, it's odd how many things are different in Ted's autograph during that period. Last night I placed four examples next to each other and there were some very odd differences that would not have come naturally for him - concerted effort to change the direction he moved his pen, or some of them were not done by him.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM
qualitycards

Looks like the Ted Williams auction brought in $3.5 million
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Looks like the Ted Williams auction brought in $3.5 million
It was a kick-ass auction - Hunt seemed to do everything right. I feel extremely lucky to have come away with three lots.