NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default REA Upcoming Ruth Bat - Interesting Story!

Very interesting read about Ruth's bat used to hit the 1st home run in Yankee stadium.....wow!!

The possibility does exist. I would love to hear what Dr. Richard Angrist who paid $1.26 million for Ruth's "1st" home run in Yankee stadium bat thinks.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/blog/index.php
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Matt

Its certainly not the same bat he is holding in the picture.. Grain doesnt match.
Also-just cause REA only knows of 2 other 40k's, It doesn't mean they don't exist. Mears has auctioned three different examples, and I know of 2 examples that have never been to the auction block. And that's just off the top of my head.
Wish I was the consignor cause with that write up, its going to go for great money. And if I paid 1.2 million for a bat that now people will question somewhat, I'd be angry.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Very interesting read about Ruth's bat used to hit the 1st home run in Yankee stadium.....wow!!

The possibility does exist. I would love to hear what Dr. Richard Angrist who paid $1.26 million for Ruth's "1st" home run in Yankee stadium bat thinks.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/blog/index.php
I have not seen him for years but I did know Dr. Richard Angrist.
He is a world renowned opthamologist.
An interesting but volatile collector, I can only imagine what his reaction is now.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
Its certainly not the same bat he is holding in the picture.. Grain doesnt match.
Also-just cause REA only knows of 2 other 40k's, It doesn't mean they don't exist. Mears has auctioned three different examples, and I know of 2 examples that have never been to the auction block. And that's just off the top of my head.
Wish I was the consignor cause with that write up, its going to go for great money. And if I paid 1.2 million for a bat that now people will question somewhat, I'd be angry.
Matt
Im taking some cred here..i found that Ruth Photo with the cork grip a couple years ago, and wrote an article on it (Pat myself on back)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
J0n Fu.ld

some have mentioned that there may be other 40ks out there - but I have not seen a single other Ruth 40k - in 35 years - that PSA has stated is: (i) to Ruth's specs (35-36 inches, about 40 ounces) AND (ii) that dates to that one order from 1923, AND (iii) that has been HAND TURNED like the one at REA. That is a special and ultra rare bat.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
some have mentioned that there may be other 40ks out there - but I have not seen a single other Ruth 40k - in 35 years - that PSA has stated is: (i) to Ruth's specs (35-36 inches, about 40 ounces) AND (ii) that dates to that one order from 1923, AND (iii) that has been HAND TURNED like the one at REA. That is a special and ultra rare bat.
And you are going to need to put your full name in your post, per the rules. Everyone is this thread is going to need their name in their post. thanks

edited to add that after a friendly chat we can just let this thread slide down the page.....the bat is great and will do fine.

Last edited by Leon; 05-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I have not seen him for years but I did know Dr. Richard Angrist.

An interesting but volatile collector, I can only imagine what his reaction is now.
He may be changing his name to Angr(y)ist.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Jim Murphy

Ruth just like every other player had more than one bat in their bat rack at any one time. So it is very possible for their to be more than one bat used that day.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

This looks like a dueling bat episode like the leyritz dueling home run balls.

Only one or the other can be the true first home run bat, or none of them, but not both.

But since there is not a firm chain of custody like we have today when someone hits a historic home run, these old time relics mostly rely on stories, like the bevens ball. Whether this bat actually hit the first home run, or any home run at all, is speculation.

rea doesnt claim it is the first home run bat, but only possibly the first home run bat, but it's funny that they cast doubt on the angrist bat, because if they didn't, and agreed that was the bat, then this one couldn't be a 'possible' bat.

if it was the other way around and an auction house had angrist's bat up for auction, would the title say "first home run bat", and the description firmly bolster that claim, instead of questioning it?

You bet it would, since they would want whatever ruth bat they happen to have at the time to go for the most amount of money they can get. so it always comes down to "ours is better than theirs",

Its inherent bias based on what they have compared to what others have. so you just have to bid with a grain of salt. They are not going to denigrate their own bat.

You can hire a lawyer to defend you in a case, but if the other side gets to that lawyer first, then he will argue for the other side, with the same fervor he would have used defending you. So the truth as to your guilt or innocence is of not as much consequence as to the benefit they can get out of promoting or denegrating what they need to promote or denigrate to get the most juice out of their auction. This is a general auction house observation, not just REA. Of course REA is going to go to 'bat' for their own piece, (pun intended).

Take a look at the Matty signed ball that was supposedly signed at the Mathewson benefit. It was signed that day in person by Matty, oops, he wasn't there, but it must have been signed by him earlier. If not for the newspaper article telling us he wasn't there, the description that says he WAS there and signed this ball would have been believed by the masses without being questioned.

Not all you read in an auction description is what happened when it comes to these old relics. Halper documentation is another good example. Halper was so good at schmoozing the HOF'ers that he convinced Reggie Jackson to sign a testament that backed up Halper's Kansas City jersey as being Jackson's rookie jersey, when Jackson wore an entirely different number for his rookie campaign. Same with the Mickey Mantle rookie jersey that was debunked. He had Mickey swearing up and down it was his own jersey, and the Mick was all too happy to declare it in writing that it was his rookie jersey when it wasn't. Of course Mickey only thought it was his jersey because Halper told him it was and had a story behind it that Mickey lapped up.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
This looks like a dueling bat episode like the leyritz dueling home run balls.

Only one or the other can be the true first home run bat, or none of them, but not both.

But since there is not a firm chain of custody like we have today when someone hits a historic home run, these old time relics mostly rely on stories, like the bevens ball. Whether this bat actually hit the first home run, or any home run at all, is speculation.

rea doesnt claim it is the first home run bat, but only possibly the first home run bat, but it's funny that they cast doubt on the angrist bat, because if they didn't, and agreed that was the bat, then this one couldn't be a 'possible' bat.

if it was the other way around and an auction house had angrist's bat up for auction, would the title say "first home run bat", and the description firmly bolster that claim, instead of questioning it?

You bet it would, since they would want whatever ruth bat they happen to have at the time to go for the most amount of money they can get. so it always comes down to "ours is better than theirs",

Its inherent bias based on what they have compared to what others have. so you just have to bid with a grain of salt. They are not going to denigrate their own bat.

You can hire a lawyer to defend you in a case, but if the other side gets to that lawyer first, then he will argue for the other side, with the same fervor he would have used defending you. So the truth as to your guilt or innocence is of not as much consequence as to the benefit they can get out of promoting or denegrating what they need to promote or denigrate to get the most juice out of their auction. This is a general auction house observation, not just REA. Of course REA is going to go to 'bat' for their own piece, (pun intended).

Take a look at the Matty signed ball that was supposedly signed at the Mathewson benefit. It was signed that day in person by Matty, oops, he wasn't there, but it must have been signed by him earlier. If not for the newspaper article telling us he wasn't there, the description that says he WAS there and signed this ball would have been believed by the masses without being questioned.

Not all you read in an auction description is what happened when it comes to these old relics. Halper documentation is another good example. Halper was so good at schmoozing the HOF'ers that he convinced Reggie Jackson to sign a testament that backed up Halper's Kansas City jersey as being Jackson's rookie jersey, when Jackson wore an entirely different number for his rookie campaign. Same with the Mickey Mantle rookie jersey that was debunked. He had Mickey swearing up and down it was his own jersey, and the Mick was all too happy to declare it in writing that it was his rookie jersey when it wasn't. Of course Mickey only thought it was his jersey because Halper told him it was and had a story behind it that Mickey lapped up.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM

I agree with Jimmy. Nice post Travis!