NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Default AL Ball

Can anyone identify this ball? At first glance I thought it read AMERICAN LEAGUE BALL above HORSEHIDE COVER. It may actually read AMATEUR LEAGUE BALL. A little too dirty to be sure. Blue and red alternating stitching. I don't see a Reach or Spalding stamp; nor do I see any President's signature. Ball seems to feel right (i.e. - regulation size and weight). All I am sure of is that it is indeed a baseball, it smells like an antique store and I won't let man's best friend fetch it. Although I did obtain it on St. Patrick's Day, I am not Irish...and my recent ridiculously great luck of ball finds just can't continue like it has...so I am exercising caution before I get excited about this one. Please check out the pics.

Have you seen one like this before?
What is it?
Who made it?
Value?

Thanks again.

Curt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4083.jpg (71.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4084.jpg (70.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4085.jpg (69.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4086.jpg (70.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4088.jpg (69.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4087.jpg (75.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
William Peebles

It looks like an Anchor Brand ball from the 20s, mid range. In that condition it's probably worth around $50-100 on ebay, give or take. If the other markings are legible it would be on the higher end of the scale.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 AM

It definitely says "Amateur League", BTW....
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 AM

I agree, definately Amateur League, but Curt hold this ball up to an older Ban Johnson OAL ball and I think that you will find the stampings of `American League Ball` & `Amateur League Ball` are identical. Look at the words League Ball, that should tell you. I think its a Reach ball myself. Early 1910-1920. Just my 2 cents...Just have to wait for BG to chime in.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

I would disagree that it's a Reach ball B, the stitching is too large and the wrong type of braided material for what they were using in the 1910's-1920's. I think Bill was probably pretty close with the Anchor Brand, or possibly a pennant ball. You can see below how similar things are for those types of baseballs. A lot of variations made but very similar. In any case just a sporting goods model ball, and like Bill said $50-$100 maybe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brandon_grunbaum.jpg (65.3 KB, 175 views)
Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I've checked it out under different lighting to see if I could find any other printing on it, but there is nothing. To me, it looks most similar to the Anchor ball's printing by size of print. The print of the words Horsehide Cover looks more like the Anchor ball. The ball itself (stitching pattern and material) looks more like the Pennant ball.

I'll probably eBay this one too if interested.

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Default 1920s Amateur League Ball

I have this ball out on eBay right now if anyone is interested.

Two days left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400294656265...84.m1555.l2649