NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Mike Dugan

Default Spalding & Reach Guides

A question was raised on the other side about the Bull Durham Baseball Guides of 1910 & 1911.

I posed the question before moving over to the memorabilia side about a checklist of variations for both the Spalding and Reach Baseball Guides.

Spalding issued spanish laguage editions, local editions, Record Books and a few college baseball guides. I have no clue about different issues for the Reach guides. Does anyone out there have such a list?

I have at least one of each (either Spalding or Reach) from 1883 on but have not owned nough to come up with regional or other types of changes.

Several years the late John Spalding did a wonderful checklist of Spalding Football Guides (some years there were three different editions). John also did a checklist of the Spalding instructional series which ran for decades and is huge!

The Baseball Guides are easily the most collectible but I have never seen a list of variations. Anyone out there have a list? Max?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Mike Dugan

I didn't mean to leave out the Lajoie Guide but I doubt if there were any variations. Also apologize for my typos!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Several years the late John Spalding did a wonderful checklist of Spalding Football Guides (some years there were three different editions). John also did a checklist of the Spalding instructional series which ran for decades and is huge!
I have never looked that closely at the instructional books listed inside the front cover, so had assumed they were all from 1900 on, and so was happy to recently obtain an 1885 copy of 'How to Field'. All the instructions are from a gloveless major leaguer perspective, position by position. Fascinating read.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Max Weder

Mike

I've never collected any Baseball Guides. I have about 10 or 12 at most pre-WWII. I know there were Canadian editions as well for some early years, but they are also tough to find.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Mike Dugan

Scott that 1885 instructional was one of the first according to John Spalding's research.

The company published their first baseball realted publication in 1876 and between then and 1941 they issued just over 1,500 sports related publications.

Some titles, especially the baseball instructionals had as many as 41 editions. While do not have much research together I think there may have been as many as 6 to 10 different Baseball Guides during the teens.

I have found the standard edition, Canadian like Max mentioned, Spanish, Baseball Record Book and city editions such as Philadelphia and Cleveland as well as a college edition.

When you add Reach Guides and the odd issues like the Bull Durham and Nap Lajoie Guides you really get a feel for how popular the game was right after the turn of the century.