NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Tristar S.F. Show (this weekend)

Posted By: Mark

Any ideas whether this weekend's Tristar show in S.F. will have much in the way of vintage cards? Anyone going (besides me)?

http://www.tristarproductions.com/shows/SF904/index.htm

Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Not going, but I would appreciate you writing how the show went when you're back. I live in Los Angeles and had been wondering if this one if worth traveling to.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Sure Aaron..I think this might be the same show that I attended last year at the Cow Palace - big show with mainly modern cards, a little vintage, but nearly all nongraded. I didn't buy anything except some Smurf cards for my lady.

Assuming that I can't tell real from fake, even in person, is there any reason to trust a dealer at a big show like this any more than a random ebay seller that his or her vintage cards are real and unaltered? For example, at the show last year a dealer had a stack of T204 cards but I really can't tell a reprint from a real one. There were no reputable grading companies there to check with either (I think mintgrading was there).

Old 09-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

I have almost no money, but it's fun to look at a bunch of cards, anyway.

Mark Macrae will NOT be set up, but he will be there, and he's bringing me a teacher's "reward of merit" to a kid with a little baseball scene on it in color--and it's so cheap I can afford it, and it's from the '40s, '50s or '60s! (1800s, that is!)Sometimes when you are out of dough, you feel like throwing in the towel, and getting some dough for your collection for your kids...

Tri Star is typically short of vintage stuff, but if you look hard, you can usually find something you want. If you don't know the real from the phoney, LOOK AROUND AT A LOT OF STUFF. Next best thing to owning it.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Who's Mark M? I'm a Mark M! Julie, I am going Fri night only (to snatch up all the good cards..j/k)..please let me know if you're going then or if there are any dealers I should say hi to. If I can't find anything made before 1980 that my non-expert eyes knows is real I should at least make some friends.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Administrator

at 10:00 A.M., and have to futz around the Asian Art Museum for 4 hours beforehand.

I'm 5'10' and getting pretty close to round, with nearly black hair where it isn't gray and dark skin, and I'll be by myself, wearing black pants and some sort of shirt--blue or white. AND CARRYING A BIG BRIGHT BLUE NOTEBOOK--cause I have to take it home somehow. (the kind you take notes in in a class).

Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Julie, no Brooklyn Dodger cap?

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

............but I'll wear my little round Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Press Pin from 1955.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Julie, I'll be there on Fri (tomorrow), but not until 6pm or so - I will email you my cell number so hopefully we can meet up!

Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

Not the greatest condition, but a) what a sweater! and b) what a face! (They're both in the HOF--whatever THAT means!)

Old 09-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

You all must be thrilled that I haven't figured out how to post images and have spared you views of my boxing collection...

Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Administrator

seen before. Should I take them away? I just bought them yesterday--thought they were the most interesting things I got--which may say something about the show.

I like boxing cards, myself. But I'll spare you mine.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Administrator

I have not been to a ton of shows so Julie is in a better position to evaluate it, but the S.F. Tristar show had a fair amount of vintage material. There was some 19th century stuff. PSA, GAI, and Beckett were all there. Gary Engel, preeminent Japanese card dealer was even there which I enjoyed. Definitely a lot better show for vintage collector's than the Cow Palce show I attended in '03.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Administrator

I also visited Gary Elgel, but GOD FORBID I should mention that.

There was SOME vintage stuff, but not a heap. On the whole, I'd say Mark Macrae's show was better.