NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

I used the United States Postal Service to send a large box of thoroughly wrapped bulky collectible items along with other particulars. Packed items were:

Advertising tins (10)
Old toys (3)
About 50 mid-grade 1955 Topps and 1955 Bowman baseball cards.
Miscellaneous clothing and financial/personal papers.

The package was delivered. The box was opened and only the tins and toys were still in the box. USPS employee(s) had cut open the seam on the bottom of the box and removed all the other items then resealed it and sent it on.

However there is no evidence that the box had been opened or what was removed. The PO added that if a package is insured, receipts for the missing items would be necessary to consider compensation. Of course this is not possible. I filled out a USPS report of this theft but have no hope of recovering any of the items stolen by their employees.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Darren

I have had several packages opened and stamped with a stamp stating "received open" or something like that. I always file with the postmaster but have yet to get any help. I guess I should file with the sheriff's office instead.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Ken McMillan

the only negative is that they will not insure collectibles like baseball cards, UPS that is.....

Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: boxingcardman

They will not dare mess with one of those packages since it is signed for and locked up the whole way and it is someone's job if items come up missing.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

We hope someone catches the thieves

They should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Property and pension should be seized and they should be
sent to prison for at least 25 years

That would certainly prevent future incidents.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Bruce I hope you are never a judge for me if I ever do something wrong by mistake or not. Which I never will maybe a traffic or jaywalking ticket. I can see it now "You are guilty, off with your legs".

I agree these people should be brought to justice but your punishment seems a little harsh.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Adam

Occasio facit furem.

Those government employed box-moving crooks are enjoying an added bonus to their regular compensation.

I use Resistered Mail on higher value items. My package was quite large and weighed 16 pounds. I knew it wouldn't get lost but I didn't expect a break-in.

Bruce

The Islamic punishment could be added.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Chris

Sorry to hear that - obviously not acceptable.

Along these lines: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2870270/

Old 05-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Steve

Are we 100% sure that postal employees did this?

Steve

Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: ali_lapoint

bruce youre crazy. although if a postal employee did steal something its a federal crime. still, they would likely be looking at nothing more than a lost job and probation. i dont assume many federal employees have criminal records so it would likely be a first offense.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Bob

It does happen. I shipped a Paul Waner card through the mail 4 or 5 years ago and it never made it past the Memphis post office where the envelope was found in the employee's break room with a slit on the bottom where the card was removed. I had an E98 Coombs which never arrived through USPS and a year earlier a T207. I had a complete set of E98s which made it in to the UPS shipment center in Little Rock, Arkansas (insured) but like the Roach Motel, never made it back out for the final destination. I guess it is in Washington DC now in that room where Indiana Jones' packages wind up.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: barrysloate

Bruce often likes to take extreme positions on various social issues. Those who know him take them in stride.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

That UPS room is in Atlanta, not DC...........

Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Hi Tom. I was referring to the room in the first Indy Jones movie with the millions of boxes where the Holy Grail was placed to be forever lost.
tbob

Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Richard L.

I personally doubt a theft occurred here. While I'm sure it does happen, it's a minute percentage. For what is missing(not trying to minimize your loss), certainly not worth risking losing ones job for. I think it happened from an automation machine that jammed, caused an opening and the cards just popped out. Did you check with the nearest processing plant, they may still have the cards, it's worth a try. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Carl Lamendola

I have had two bad experiences in twenty years.

(#1)- I once split a group of about 20 Mayo football cards for $4K 10+ years ago from a guy in NJ. Who gave them to his wife to ship them UPS. She put them in two bubble envelopes!! Needless to say one made it and the other didn't. It took me two months to get my money back from the seller. UPS hires alot of part timers in the summer...Leasson Learned - DON'T USE THEM FOR ANYTHING RARE.

(#2)USPS Regestered and Insured - $1800 worth of a rare regional issue. 17 days -"don't worry - federal offense - everyone signs for it - they sent the Hope Diamond registered"- Postmaster. BULL, I got the package it was opened tape peeled back, etc. It was around Christmas time - Lessoned Learned - DON'T SEND ANYTHING VALUABLE AROUND CHRISTMAS. Luckily the guy was probably looking for jewerly, not 1968 Champion Cornflake football cards - The prices stickers were even still on the cards !!!

In conclusion, there is always some level of risk, which most people don't appreciate sending this stuff through the mail. Heck, I had some cards at PSA recently when the whole state of California seemed to be on fire .... I hope PSA has a good fire suppression system like HALON

Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Richard L.

Carl,

Did you file a claim on the registered, you should have gotten your money back?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I remember the room from Indiana Jones well.....just saying the UPS Overgoods (what they call the stuff they can't figure out who it goes to) is in Atlanta. Carl brings up EXCELLENT points. While registered mail is SUPPOSED to be the most secure, even it is not immune from issues. Something I see happening FREQUENTLY is people putting brown paper over the outside of packages, sticking the label on the package. With all the sorting devices out there, the brown paper somehow gets snagged, then pulls all the way off and gets separated from the package. Then, no idea who the goods should go to. DON'T USE BROWN PAPER with UPS or FDX. For some ODD reason, the post office still accepts and likes it. ALSO.....put an address label INSIDE the package as well. Working for UPS 23 years, you see this stuff. I've toured FDX hub in Memphis and DHL hub in Wilmington, OH. Same problems, more or less same setup. Very possible it wasn't malicious......but just as likely it might have been.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

I contacted Lyman Hardeman to order three issues of the Old Cardboard magazine that were in my ill-fated PO parcel. Knowing the circumstances Lyman said he will replace those issues with his compliments.

Thank you, Lyman and Brett.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>

Other than the comments made on this thread I have received direct e-mail from Net54 members concerning this theft. One writer said he had a similar experience so stopped insuring his packages. His reasoning is that the insurance tagged parcels are an enticement for those PO crooks.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: John H.

I went to the P.O. to pick up a package containing all 12 1939 issues of Baseball Magazine a few months ago. The clerk handed me the large envelope and it had been torn open, somewhat retaped and all of the magazines were gone. I thought that Canada Customs may have opened it but they use yellow tape to reseal packages and this was done with clear. They also stamp packages after opening them which wasn't the case here.

I thought that the envelope might have been a bit small to hold 12 oversized magazines and that maybe it had broken open itself but the seller said they fit quite comfortably. I still wish he would have packed them in a box.

I had gotten a terrific deal on these magazines and I seriously doubt that I will ever have an opportunity to pick up the full run from that historically significant season all in one shot again. Sigh...

John

Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Jason L

I remember, the first time I had the Grail, and it was my turn to ship it off to the next Holder, I used the USPS. No problems at all.
Now, the second time though, about 5 years back already....what a nightmare!
Apparently the internal padding wasn't consistent, the chalice slipped around and caused some buckling of the exterior packaging. The USPS scanners misinterpreted the orginal ShipTo of Dante Brownstone as Dan Brown.

Boy did I ever hear for that one down at the Lodge!
Even still today, they won't let me take meeting minutes

Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Rob Ray

Luckily,I have only had one instance in which my local (Brooklyn) PO has obviously tampered with a package I have received.
Long story short...one of the backroom PO workers was in cahoots with a local Genovese Store employee,and they teamed up to actually split up the contents of a large package I had received from Howard's Sports Cards.
I was shocked, when,upon just happening to go into the Drug Store (now it's a Rite Aid) the evening after my package from Howards was received with empty contents...I noticed this Genovese store punk showing to his co-worker a Bob GIbson RC, a 59 Mantle card,and a Lou Brock RC...three of the cards out of the 6 or 7 I had ordered from Howards. Too coincidental.
I was at the cashiers line,noticed this,managed to contain myself,and said to the kid "hey,nice cards!". He didnt know I had been paying attention,and he quickly put them behind him on a shelf. I then told him I KNEW they were my cards,and I knew he had stolen them. Instead of defending himself,he said "Prove it"...and I KNEW the gangsta punk was guilty right away.
The kid never was prosecuted,neither was the gansgta PO employee,who I realized often hung out together at a local bar.
But they knew I knew....
I tried to get at the source,but nothing was done even though the PO AND Genovese SAID they were "investigating" the matter.
Luckily,Howards was understanding and actually amde good on this,even though it was NOT their fault (always enjoyed dealing with them).
One good ending to this...I actually saw the same genovese employee being arrested outside of a local dance hall one night. He looked like he had taken the worst in a beating. i guess the gangsta lifestyle had caught up to him, even in a minor way.

But what always got to me,back in the day when I received many different baseball pubs (hobby and otherwise)...SO MANY times it was patently obvious that the PO employees (one I knew of...getting to that) actually READ my magazines before delivering them.
One time I was walking home early to work one day,the mailman (a differrent guy) was hanging out outside my house by the corner of the block...READING my Beckett's Vintage magazine while leaning against a fence.
Ten minutes later he was gone,and the mag was in my mailbox! he also more than likely was the guy who delivered my baseball weekly with thumb-page dents,and even with torn covers....once,believe it or not...with a large coffee-cup stain in the middle of one of the pages!

Of course,most of the local PO employees are honest,hardworking etc etc. But when it hits home...everything seems magnified.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: boxingcardman

"It does happen. I shipped a Paul Waner card through the mail 4 or 5 years ago and it never made it past the Memphis post office where the envelope was found in the employee's break room with a slit on the bottom where the card was removed. I had an E98 Coombs which never arrived through USPS and a year earlier a T207. I had a complete set of E98s which made it in to the UPS shipment center in Little Rock, Arkansas (insured) but like the Roach Motel, never made it back out for the final destination. I guess it is in Washington DC now in that room where Indiana Jones' packages wind up."

Come on, Bob, that stuff is supposed to happen to you. BTW, which hotel are you staying at in CHI--I want to move to another one.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

lol Good call Adam. Did I mention that SGC lost my T207 Moriarty Red Cycle back that I handed them at the last National? or the T207 Lowdermilk Mastro auctions lost 9 years ago when I consigned the entire set for auction? Etc, etc, etc...I seem to have more than the usual bad luck when it comes to cards...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: howard

I've had two cards that never made it to me. I never found out what happened to them but the guy I bought the '68 Seaver from reimbursed me through his stores insurance and the '62 Mantle was post office insured.

Someone pointed out that an insurance sticker on an envelope could make it a target for thieves. I don't doubt that at all. Along the same lines I would say that some return address labels can also make an envelope pretty tempting to a thief. If I saw a padded envelope w/a return label that said "Howard's Collectible Sports Cards" I'd sure be curious about what was inside. Perhaps a label w/a duller name such as "Howard's Paper Clips" would not present the same temptation.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default USPS Thieves

Posted By: Rob Ray

Re. the label;funny you should mention that.
The few times I have mailed cards or boxes to a sportscard company/address that's patently obvious,I keep the location accurate (obviously),but change around the name slightly (if possible):
Instead of "Bob's Sportscards and Antiques",I'll say"Bob's Antiques",or just simply "Bob's Company".
Sounds ridiculous,but I have yet to have 1 package NOT reach its destination safely....except once.
This came about because of one time someone did not recieve my box unaltered,and he didnt insure it. I didnt want to get off on a bad foot with what turned out to be a trustworthy buyer,so I took the (thankfully small) loss.
NOw I suggest insurance with all large orders I send out,or I pay for it myself if the order is large enough.
Too bad you can't trust every employee not to commit a federal crime,but that's life!