NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Greg,

How do we know that he was really "caught stealing" and not just thrown out on a regularly played ball?

r/
Frank
Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM

I looked at the Cleveland T200 and Jackson has his stirrups all the way down on both legs. If Jackson was injured and wearing the half stirrup for a limited time, it would be very lucky to have caught him in action with his injury. The Joss game was towards the end of July, when were the photos for the T5 set taken? Were they taken before the 1911 season, after, during? He's wearing his stirrups down in that photo.

I think the big question is, are there any players featured on the centerfolds of the T202 set that don't also appear in the set as a tab? I know some images are identified and some aren't, but are there any images that aren't identified on the card, but can be identified unconditionally, and the player doesn't appear in the set itself? For example, in the Cobb stealing photo he is sliding into Jimmy Austin, who also is featured in the set as a tab.

Last edited by packs; 05-22-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Greg,

How do we know that he was really "caught stealing" and not just thrown out on a regularly played ball?

r/
Frank
Frank,

You are correct. The back of the card only states "The runner was out at third and he might well be; for the bag was being held down by the able Harry D. Lord of the Chicago White Sox." Finding a play by play which covers the game in such detail that it recorded ordinary put outs is going to be a long shot. I thought if a play by play could be found which listed the caught stealing stat it might be more conclusive one way or another.

Greg
Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Find games Lord and JJ both played in during 1910-1911

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Second best post on this thread (after Brett) is bmarlowe1. Without more, we'll never know.

That said, I strongly suspect the market value of this card has increased materially and that many/most future descriptions will make reference to Joe Jackson being depicted in the middle panel. In this hobby, fact often plays a very small role.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Second best post on this thread (after Brett) is bmarlowe1. Without more, we'll never know.

That said, I strongly suspect the market value of this card has increased materially and that many/most future descriptions will make reference to Joe Jackson being depicted in the middle panel. In this hobby, fact often plays a very small role.
Sad but true
Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Tim

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly with this statement but love threads like this. So much can be learned from the collective ideas of the group. Even when a thought or idea is proven wrong it's a learning experience.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Jeff

Quote:

Was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can make an another possible addition to the "hobby myth" thread as well.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM

I think "Baker Gets His Man" looks more like Joe than the Lord card. The sliding players nose on the Lord card looks wider than Joe's long nose.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Dan Bretta

This has been a fascinating thread. The question may never be answered, but the fact that it has never even been brought up on this board in the past is simply amazing to me. It was also fascinating to see this thread spark a bit of a a buying frenzy.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Isaac Lane

Great thread.
I say it is Joe.

Now, off to ebay!

Last edited by Vol; 05-22-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Bob Lemke

Let me also congratulate Brett on a great first contribution to this forum.

I have a full set of TSN microfilm for those years, which offered great box scores, but the film is in PA and I am WI.

For what it's worth, as someone mentioned, the National Game action card that is widely believed to picture Ty Cobb sliding sells (or at least carried a "book" value of 6X the other action cards in the set.

If corroborative evidence is found that it is, indeed, Joe Jax in an uncredited cameo on the T202, I could see similar increase in demand/price.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

again, you will never prove that it is Jackson unless you find the photographer that took the picture or the original along with some sort of documentation saying it is Jackson. While intriguing, this thread will only serve to artificially jack the price up on yet another card. the player looks more like Lord than Jackson. This is wishfull thinking at best, and plays to the mindset of those that look for pots of gold at the ends of rainbows. Is that a UFO hovering in the sky outside the stadium in that picture above "Jacksons" head and to the left. Wow, this card has something for everyone. I think I see Jack the Ripper peering over the fence to look at Jackson's slide also. Unbelieveable ! what was he doing in America at this time
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
the player looks more like Lord than Jackson.
Dave,

Sorry, no way the person sliding is either Harry Lord (who is pictured on the panel) or Bris Lord as he was with Philadelphia in 1911.

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-23-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
again, you will never prove that it is Jackson unless you find the photographer that took the picture or the original along with some sort of documentation saying it is Jackson. While intriguing, this thread will only serve to artificially jack the price up on yet another card. the player looks more like Lord than Jackson. This is wishfull thinking at best, and plays to the mindset of those that look for pots of gold at the ends of rainbows. Is that a UFO hovering in the sky outside the stadium in that picture above "Jacksons" head and to the left. Wow, this card has something for everyone. I think I see Jack the Ripper peering over the fence to look at Jackson's slide also. Unbelieveable ! what was he doing in America at this time
You mad ?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
you forgot about his wife, Morgan Fairchild, who is also there...yeah, that's the ticket!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
you forgot about his wife, Morgan Fairchild, who is also there...yeah, that's the ticket!
I heard there was a bigfoot sighting at the field right before this very picture was taken. the cameraman was too slow and clumsy to reload fresh film and therefore only captured Jackson sliding, and not the Sasquatch
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Can you be any more of a Debbie Downer. This is one of the more interesting threads I have read on here in awhile. No need to pee in everyone's Cheerios.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
Can you be any more of a Debbie Downer. This is one of the more interesting threads I have read on here in awhile. No need to pee in everyone's Cheerios.
Agreed. Each post T206DK has made on this thread is filled with hostility. Why not find another sandbox to play in? Nobody here needs the chip on your shoulder.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
Hmmm, I guess card collectors don't have much of a sense of humor then sportscardtheory. Sorry for mixing in a little here to make a point and peeing on everyone's fire who wants this to be Joe Jackson soooooo very badly. My brother just called me after reading this post and he says there could be more cards in the T202 set that could have resemblences of Jackson in them. He is hoping it turns out to be true so he can sell all 3 of his for inflated prices. How many others are out there waiting to do the same thing ? How many on this board went out and bought a T202 the day this thread was started ? Many of you don't realize how reactionary and opportunistic this hobby of ours has become sometimes. I don't mind pointing it out when I see it. If you are going to slam me and name call for it ....then so be it ! I will be the first to admit, I did not even look for T202's that were for sale after reading this thread. My brother , on the other hand is already on the Collectors universe boards trying to make deals with his buddies to buy more
Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Excellent points. Maybe someone will start another "I can't believe this card didn't grade higher" thread instead of an interesting one like this that's about, you know, an actual prewar card.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can't believe this card didn't grade higher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnson.jpg (54.9 KB, 518 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Did anyone else notice that in the Addy Joss panorama picture Jack Graney is pictured twice?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Did anyone else notice that in the Addy Joss panorama picture Jack Graney is pictured twice?
From that to the collection of talent, to Cobb in a Cleveland uni, to the history surrounding it, it's a special photo. I created a wall display surrounding it.