NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Looking for some guidance...Ruth, Cobb, Mantle or Aaron???

I am likely coming in to some cash in the next month or two and I'd like to treat myself to a card as a reward for my efforts. The most I've ever spent on a card is about $400 (twice). As background, I'm working on a T205 set (average SGC 40/PSA 3), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 mostly but some 6's), 1956 Topps (PSA 5 & raw) and Diamond Stars as my big sets...so here are my choices in no order:

- T205 Cobb in a 3
- 1954 Aaron in a 6 or nice 5
- 1956 Mantle in a 5/6
- Goudey Ruth (I know, but it's Ruth!). ???
- something else (T205 Joss, DS hi #'s, '54 Topps Williams pair)???

Not sure this kind of opportunity will come along again. Or at least for a while. In the interest of staying happily married, I want to stay around $2000. What say ye???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Ruth
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't think you could go far wrong with any of those choices.

The Cobb is probably the hardest of the three to find, so I'd probably go with that one, unless what's available are very average threes and there's a really nice example of one of the others.

--------------

Which reminds me how far the hobby and my collecting tastes have come. When I started, 2k would have bought all of those with loads left over. Did I buy the big stars or cards in really nice condition --- Not usually.
With all I've learned do I do that now? Only once in a while

Steve B
Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ruth. Period. Get the best Ruth you can afford. Personally I like the Sport Kings a lot and I believe they are priced at quite a discount to the Goudeys.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Babe

Definitely the Ruth. Make sure it is high end for the grade.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Ben North

Buy whatever your dream card is in the best condition you can find for the $ you have.

I also recently ran into some extra cash. Instead of one big purchase(Wade Boggs Bat for me) I ended up buying several lesser priced items. I am very happy with my choice and hope you are also happy with whatever you purchase.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:07 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Buy whatever your dream card is in the best condition you can find for the $ you have.

I also recently ran into some extra cash. Instead of one big purchase(Wade Boggs Bat for me) I ended up buying several lesser priced items. I am very happy with my choice and hope you are also happy with whatever you purchase.

What'd ya get??? This would be my Diamond Stars approach...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
What'd ya get??? This would be my Diamond Stars approach...

Weirdly a lot of stuff I normally don't collect. Autographs like Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller and several others. A bunch of modern rookie cards and modern game used cards. A few error cards, these I normally collect. Added another T210 to my collection and a few more odd ball items.

Then to make the wife happy I spent around $400 on paint and painted our garage.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:24 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Weirdly a lot of stuff I normally don't collect. Autographs like Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller and several others. A bunch of modern rookie cards and modern game used cards. A few error cards, these I normally collect. Added another T210 to my collection and a few more odd ball items.

Then to make the wife happy I spent around $400 on paint and painted our garage.

Nicely done...seems I could go that way, too. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Cobb
Old 09-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Br.ent So.bie

King Cobb... No question.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Ruth or Cobb - you'll do well with either.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 AM

I would go for a Ruth. If you are wanting to go after cards from your sets, I would go after the t205 Joss or Cy Young or maybe both. They are much tougher than the Cobb.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ruth. The GOAT.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Ne@l K

a 2K Ruth or a 2K 1954 Aaron ..... coin flip imo

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM

'54 Aaron
Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Tony Conte

Default Ruth

I would say Ruth also but keep in mind that in today's market a 2k Goudey
Ruth might be very low grade.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
I would say Ruth also but keep in mind that in today's market a 2k Goudey
Ruth might be very low grade.
More grade for the money with a Sport Kings.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
More grade for the money with a Sport Kings.

Liking Sport Kings more than Goudey after looking in to this option.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Since you are working on several sets, but your order in priority was the T-205 set, the obvious choice to me would be Mr. Cobb. The others are all terrific, but if you're working on at T-205 set, and you say the chances are slim that this windfall opportunity will not transpire again, it would surely seem that to get the kingpin of the T-205 set, your best chance would be NOW. Be picky, and if you have to add a few hundred (I stress just a few, for the sake of your marriage), do it to get a nice Ty Cobb to go into your T-205 set.

Let's face it, pal, whenever you talk about your T-205 set to virtually ANY OTHER COLLECTOR, he's gonna ask you, "Do you have the Cobb?" You go for some other choice, and I'll clue ya, you'll feel like one big chump for missing your chance to get the Ty Cobb. I am of course assuming your T-205 set pursuit is a serious one, and one you are not pursuing casually. Am I right?

Whatever you decide, it is truly up to you. Just make a choice you're gonna be genuinely happy with, and will not spike you with buyer's remorse!

If you talk over such things with your darling, ask her advice as well. She knows you a whole lot better than we do.

Wishing you the happiest choice, mate. Congratulations on your windfall.

Lastly-----TAKE YOUR SWEET TIME, BUB!!!!!

-----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 09-06-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thank you for the well thought out reply. While a Ruth is probably the easy choice, I think I'm between the Cobb and the Aaron. I'm about 21% in on my T205 set with a bunch of HOfers (Mathewson, Clarke, Marquard, Speaker, Wallace with cap, and Wheat). For 1954, I'm just shy of 75%. Only missing Aaron, Mats and both Williams with others being commons. My Banks is SGC 40 and Kaline is SGC 45 but signed...both are really nice for grade. Would only be able to do a 5 for Aaron with remainder of set all 7's and a few 6's. I'll likely upgrade the Kaline and Banks in the future but they are good enough for now. Feel better choosing between two than 4-5 cards...thanks!!!

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

An iconic set and the greatest player of all time. I'd definitely go with Ruth. '54 Aarons are pretty cool too though

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

I'd get the T205 Cobb, too - one with NICE registration for the grade.

AND unless your wife's eyes roll up into her head when you talk about cards with her, by all means involve her in the decision-making, too. Talk with her BRIEFLY about your collecting strategy and see what she says/thinks. Maybe even show her what your finalist selections look like...

You BOTH may enjoy your purchase EVEN MORE after-the-fact when you can remind her that SHE helped with the decision-making...

Just MY 2 cents... GOOD LUCK! Probably CANNOT go wrong, regardless!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:17 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Ok...down to Aaron or Cobb with Ruth a solid third...no one mentioned Mantle so he's out! Any other thoughts???

Old 09-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Another thought...

Remember, not all "5" grades are the same. I would much rather have an EX 5 with near perfect rock solid centering and no tilt cut. If 3 cards sitting in front of me, a Ruth, a Cobb and an Aaron, all pretty much in the same price class, I would go for the one with best centering, the player would be secondary. Also consider other card flaws - print dots, color and focus. Buy the most eye appealing card you can regardless of player choice Ruth, Cobb or Aaron. You want a nice looking card.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Line up some pics and see if one jumps out at you.

Here are some of the ones you have mentioned, see if any speaks to you louder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaron54T.jpg (78.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg cobbt205.jpg (74.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg ruth33g149.jpg (71.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg ruth33sk.jpg (55.7 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg ruth33g181.jpg (76.3 KB, 224 views)

Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM

Peter, your 1933 Goudey #149 Ruth SGC 60 is a sweet card. That's what I am talking about - killer centering, no print marks (clean color), stellar for the grade! I know its more than the $2k, but thats the one I would be after.

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 09-06-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 PM

Since you are working on the T205 set, I would suggest the T205 Cobb, as you will have the satisfaction of snagging one of the most expensive cards in the set in the condition range you have been collecting.

Of course nothing wrong with a Goudey Ruth, and in my opinion the Sport Kings Ruth may even be a more eye pleasing and appealing depiction of the Babe than any of his Goudey cards.

Brian
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I often debate whether my next purchase should be pre-war or post. Every time I land on pre-war. My thought is: there will always be a supply of post war cards like the Aaron rookie. The folks at PWCC probably bring 5-10 to market every month. You will always have an opportunity to pull that trigger.

Sure, certain pre-war cards are plentiful, too, but a nicely centered T205 Cobb is a bit of a rarity based on my experience looking over the last year. I would always try to lock down the more rare card on your list if one pops up, but I agree with another member that you should be patient and wait for one you love.

Also, I remember meeting Corey (AddieJoss) at the National and remember he or his buddy had a nice T205 Cobb at a reasonable price. Not sure if he still has it, but something to consider in case you choose Cobb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205 Cobb.jpg (77.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 54 topps aaron psa.jpg (76.9 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-06-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Line up some pics and see if one jumps out at you.

Here are some of the ones you have mentioned, see if any speaks to you louder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I often debate whether my next purchase should be pre-war or post. Every time I land on pre-war. My thought is: there will always be a supply of post war cards like the Aaron rookie. The folks at PWCC probably bring 5-10 to market every month. You will always have an opportunity to pull that trigger.

Sure, certain pre-war cards are plentiful, too, but a nicely centered T205 Cobb is a bit of a rarity based on my experience looking over the last year. I would always try to lock down the more rare card on your list if one pops up, but I agree with another member that you should be patient and wait for one you love.

Also, I remember meeting Corey (AddieJoss) at the National and remember he or his buddy had a nice T205 Cobb at a reasonable price. Not sure if he still has it, but something to consider in case you choose Cobb.
Sweet cards, guys!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks to all who chimed in...Mr. Postman just dropped off Mr. Cobb...and I’m a happy guy!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:43 PM

Just get as much 1991 Fleer as you can. You will be pleased...

Nice card, I would have went Ruth, Hank, Cobb, Mantle in order of choice...

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 12-05-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Didn't realize he received the card...
Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Wise decision Matt...
great card, congrats!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Eric
Eric

Awesome card. Good choice!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:31 PM

Nice Cobb!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Great looking card, congrats. Ain't nothing wrong with owning that
Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Well played!!! Congrats.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Ne@l K

a happy decision is a good decision

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM
J1m C0chran

Great choice!

Last edited by jcc6252; 12-05-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:31 AM
Sean Costello

Very nice Cobb. You'll be happy with that card for years to come.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Great pickup and quite the boost to your T205 collection...from my distant perspective you made the best choice.

Brian