NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Jim VB

Default VCP vs. AOL

Not trying to start a big fight but just curious.

For the last couple of days, I've been unable to log on to VCP. Bobby sent me an email this morning stating that the best thing to do is change the browser I'm using.

I've been using AOL for about 15 years and am perfectly comfortable with it. I've been using VCP for 1-2 years and they always worked well together. Apparently, some recent change in VCP makes them incompatible.

Am I:

a) nuts
b) stubborn
c) correct in assuming that sites should be compatible with the browser their customers are using

(Certainly, in my case, the answer "c" does not preclude the possibility that "a" and "b" are also true.)
Old 07-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Matt Wieder

Perhaps a more PC answer from Bobby (and maybe this is what he meant) would be that you should use a different browser while they identify what recent change caused the issue (assuming it is simply a small recent change they made) and if it can be fixed they'll do so as soon as they can.

Last edited by Matt; 07-16-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Joe M.

I never use VCP, I always have trouble gettng into the site. I had AOL at one time , have a cable high speed hookup now. Anyway it never works for me.

I will say Bobby has sent me notes about the site so I guess it is me.

So I guess I am with you
Nuts
Stubborn or not smart enough to figure it out.

Joe

Last edited by jcmtiger; 07-16-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Jim VB

I was paraphrasing Bobby, but I had no problem with the tone of his answer. He did, politely, suggest using IE or Firefox, but did not mention the problem being caused by any changes they had recently made. I deduced that myself.

A week ago, VCP worked fine for me. I went on vacation and, upon my return, found that the site had a new look (at least the part that they let "guests" see), and I couldn't log on. That, coupled with his suggestion to change browsers, tells me the change was theirs, not mine and not AOL's.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Jim VB

Joe,

You said: "I had AOL at one time , have a cable high speed hookup now"

They are not mutually exclusive. I have both.

I understand that AOL seems a little bit more challenging for some sites to interface with, but they are still a pretty large ISP. Shouldn't these sites be able to work with everyone?

(Note- The old Net54 board had similar issues with AOL from time to time.)
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned

As someone who works on a newspaper's Web site, I can attest to the fact that trying to keep a site compatible and working/displaying correctly with all of the new Web browsers and operating systems that become available is a challenge. Eventually a company with a Web presence has to decide which browsers it simply will not/can't accommodate. (An example is that years ago we stopped trying to fix problems that caused our site to not display properly in a WebTV browser. The numbers didn't justify the expense and effort.)

That being said, America Online isn't on the same level as WebTV or early versions of Internet Explorer; lots of people still use AOL. I would think a company would try to adjust as a service to its customers who use AOL.

So while I do not think you're nuts, Jim, the "stubborn" label might -- in a way -- apply. I still have an AOL account because I established my e-mail address long ago and don't want to give it up. But I can't remember the last time I used AOL's Web browser. Even if you access the Internet using AOL, I don't think it would be that hard to use Internet Explorer or Firefox to access VCP's Web site.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-16-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default AOL issues

Our previous board had fits with AOL. The programmers at Network54.com never could figure out how to play nicely with them. I have heard this from other companies too. As for VCP, I haven't had any issues lately and was on it last night. I bought a card, and was checking the history, as it sold for $15 more than it sold the last time ......It worked great for me....
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Rich Klein

Default It was real hard for me to post on old board with AOL

There would be times and BAM; got an error message. Always could read the board; now posting is another issue.

But the point about dealing with all the different service providers is a good one and IMHO; AOL is still somewhat important and deserves to be looked at.

I will also say; that AOL does an excellent job of keeping away bad emails; etc. They have a very good prevent defense for unwanted viruses, etc
Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Sometimes you just got to go with the flow

Before you give up in frustration why don't you try downloading the newest version of Firefox. It's free and easy to install. You can still keep your AOL as your primary browser and just use Firefox when accessing Bobby's site. I know this sounds like a hassle, but I've maintained two different browsers for years. Firefox is actually faster than Internet Explorer and has some nice add on features. It comes in handy when Internet Explorer gets funky for a day or two to just search with Firefox. You can also have two separate home pages, one devoted to sports collecting and another for your work. My son actually has eight different browsers on his computer.

I know it sounds like a big deal, but it really is just like having two different phone books in the house.

Hope it works out for you.

Joe
Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Rich Klein

Default I should also say

That when I had the Geek Squad set up this computer; they set up both AOL and an Internet Explorer on my computer.

Rich
Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM
David

Default VCP advertising

I am a user of VCP but if they do not do something about the advertising banner than pops up 4 ads and takes forever to load EVERY time i change a web page I'm gone faster than a Republican at a Garofalo sighting.

I can't take it much longer.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Firefox, Firefox, Firefox....I don't know why anyone surfs the web with any other browser. I see no ads, it's fast and it's free.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Frank Wakefield

Dittos, Dan.

I like Firefox. Once in a rare while I encounter some site that requires Internet Explorer, and it is usually some financial site attempting to remain super-secure, those sites won't allow Firefox.

Mozilla Firefox seems to be a good thing for me...
Old 07-16-2009, 02:40 PM

I only use Firefox.

I suggest also installing Adblock Plus and TACO. I never have any popups. NoScript and WOT are also recommended.

I never knew VCP had an advertising banner until it was just stated.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
qu@n nguy3n

people still use the aol browser, seriously? i just had a flashback to when al gore invented the internet in the early 90's...

my bike was great and got me to where i needed to go in high school...but yeahhh, let me try that car on.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Jim VB

Quan,

Dig received.

Yes, I still use AOL, but my default browser is IE. I've had the same email address for close to 15 years and I don't need, or want, to change it. So I keep AOL.

Still, the problem seems to be between AOL and a few other sites that don't seem to work well together.

I should also add that Bobby B. has been exceptional at the customer service level in trying to find me a workaround or a fix.

(For the record, I have upgraded my abacus for a four function calculator, and my Commodore 64 for a nice Dell. That's enough for this decade!)
Old 07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Rich Klein

Default Quan; yes I still use AOL

There may be "better" ways but I'm very happy with the improvements made and

1) I get almost no "spam" emails

2) The virus-protection (on top of the virus protection I already have) is actually very good

3) Most sites now work very well with AOL

Regards
Rich
Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Joe M.

When I went to high speed, I use Internet explorer, I kept my aol for mail. Found out I could do without. I deleted or removed everything related to aol from my computer about a month ago.

Joe.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Jason Berry

I don't understand how using IE to view some sites would prevent you from using your aol email.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default VCP vs. AOL

For what it's worth, I have an AOL email address, but started using the Firefox browser a year ago or so. I was having freeze and functionality issues with the latest versions of AOL. Since then - no problems, no issues (knock on wood) on Firefox with the VCP or anything else.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Alan U

At work we've had some trouble with people that use Vista at home when trying to pull up work e-mail. The answer from the I.T. guys was for them to switch to Firefox and it cleared everything up.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Google Chrome

I have been using Google Chrome for the past few months and it has been great.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.