NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris19 View Post
Very happy to add this to my 19th century game collection!
Great pick up Kris!
I've always loved that game.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree.... Very attractive Game.

But I have never understood how the ball would make its way down to the bottom portion. It seems like the wood "wall" would create a barrier that would stop the ball from reaching its final destination towards the bottom.

Am I seeing it wrong?
Old 05-19-2018, 01:17 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Cardinals 1954 Scorecard

Ever since I saw one, I thought these scorecards were the most attractive ever made. I snagged this one. It's actually signed lightly in ballpoint by Musial on the glove (upside down) and is also from a game against the Braves where rookie Hank Aaron hit his final homerun of the season. (#13)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardscard2.jpg (70.4 KB, 457 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Kris Sweck@rd

Thanks guys! Mark, great question. It’s not a “wall” but rather painted wooden panels placed over the track. So the ball diappears behind the panel briefly, then comes back out going the opposite direction on the next lower level. Hopefully you can see from this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8BC68D6B-3134-4CF7-B553-C8E12D69FA5A.jpg (14.4 KB, 461 views)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:18 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That is so cool, Kris...

Thanks for posting the additional pic, and congrats on acquiring that awesome game. I imagine it must be in the top 5% (or better) of those that managed to survive. It's a stunner!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Spectacular pick-up, Kris!
Our BaseballGames Forum will have more questions for you that only "games guys" would care about...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Rob

If you can believe it, I've been looking for this pin for 25 years. The guy on ebay had TWO!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0384.jpg (66.4 KB, 368 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:14 PM

Default REA Pickup

This is a neat little game with the original string and ball. I figured that there cannot be too many of these out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1906 Philadelphia Athletics Paddle Game Back.jpg (72.8 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg 1906 Philadelphia Athletics Paddle Game.jpg (70.1 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 05-21-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Kenny

Picked up another Zach Wheat photo. Thanks Jeff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20180521 (2).jpg (68.8 KB, 344 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Kenny

That Cards scorecard is cool.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:12 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
If you can believe it, I've been looking for this pin for 25 years. The guy on ebay had TWO!
Congrats Rob is there a matching Fred Lynn? Bob that game is awesome. It's the first I have seen.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 05-21-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:54 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Congrats Rob is there a matching Fred Lynn?
Like a companion piece, eh?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:31 AM

Sweet, sweet acquisition, Bob. You're right, it's the first example we've seen in over ten years,
just the third or fourth in more than twice that long.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Sweet, sweet acquisition, Bob. You're right, it's the first example we've seen in over ten years,
just the third or fourth in more than twice that long.
The last one I saw was in Mastro's personal collection (subsequently auctioned off by Legendary). I suppose this could easily be the same one, given the scarcity. Such a beautiful piece with amazing graphics. And the condition is insane... a minor miracle that the Ball and String are still in tact!

The only other example I've seen was beat to hell, from a Clean Sweep Auction (I believe). Great pickup!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Finally picked up something baseball-related (last one was the painting in my avatar, I think) This is a large 1800's albumen photo of a baseball game at Wildwood Park, St. Paul, Minnesota. It has a linen backing rather than board.

Since I have already grabbed a posting spot, below it are a couple of 1967 Seattle concert posters - the raised paint on board type, that I found yesterday in an antique store. The first one is black light and was done by John Moehring who was well-known for that sort of thing. They were sort of important (1st Seattle Trips Festival), so these are images from the internet, not of my actual posters. They are both featured in a book about Seattle Concert posters from 1966-68 - knowing nothing about posters, I frantically researched them at the antique store, prior to purchasing....such moments would probably be a good thread topic. I can remember involving Leon in a tobacco tin call, Shelley regarding a rookie-era Ted Williams autograph, and another buddy got a call about an ambrotype of a ship captain. All moments of massive persperation.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Finally picked up something baseball-related (last one was the painting in my avatar, I think) This is a large 1800's albumen photo of a baseball game at Wildwood Park, St. Paul, Minnesota. It has a linen backing rather than board.

Since I have already grabbed a posting spot, below it are a couple of 1967 Seattle concert posters - the raised paint on board type, that I found yesterday in an antique store. The first one is black light and was done by John Moehring who was well-known for that sort of thing. They were sort of important (1st Seattle Trips Festival), so these are images from the internet, not of my actual posters. They are both featured in a book about Seattle Concert posters from 1966-68 - knowing nothing about posters, I frantically researched them at the antique store, prior to purchasing....such moments would probably be a good thread topic. I can remember involving Leon in a tobacco tin call, Shelley regarding a rookie-era Ted Williams autograph, and another buddy got a call about an ambrotype of a ship captain. All moments of massive persperation.
Scott,

I guess you weren't 'Pushin too hard' to get those posters authenticated!!!

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 05-24-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Rob

Oh look, there's Charlie Manson! ^^^^
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Scott,

I guess you weren't 'Pushin too hard' to get those posters authenticated!!!
That's good. I figured it was part of one of the band's lyrics, but had to google it. I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't heard of any of the bands.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
That's good. I figured it was part of one of the band's lyrics, but had to google it. I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't heard of any of the bands.
The Seeds were a pretty big psychedelic band though "Pushin' too hard" was their only hit. Their album is quite collectible and has been reissued in the 180 gram vinyl. The rest of the bands appear to be much smaller local bands, only one other name seemed even mildly familiar.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 05-24-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
No google needed for me to pick up what Michael was putting down.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Phil P

Default 1954 Cardinals Scorecard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Ever since I saw one, I thought these scorecards were the most attractive ever made. I snagged this one. It's actually signed lightly in ballpoint by Musial on the glove (upside down) and is also from a game against the Braves where rookie Hank Aaron hit his final homerun of the season. (#13)
Hi Randall
I definitely agree with you ...This Cardinals scorecard in 1954 is one of the nicest in baseball. I also like the 1962 Cubs with all the NL hats as a runner up..
Hope you are doing well..
Phil
Old 05-25-2018, 02:05 PM

Default Photo Pick-ups

I'm not big photo guy but occasionally I come across ones that hit the gotta have it level...Remarkably I picked up the two above the same weekend couple weeks ago...I found the Potato Bug II photo at the Grass Valley Old West antiques show...then I found the Indian Motorcycle Glendale Run photo in a mall in Roseville CA...

I'm usually not interested in photos that aren't "from the period"...i..e. produced/processed the same era it was taken...but I liked the motorcycle pano so much I got it anyway. The inscription below the riders says "Indian Motorcycle Run, Glendale CA June 14th 1931..."When I first saw it I was taken back...but it didn't look period and I dismissed it and walked away...walking thru the store it kept gnawing at me and I went back for another look...I'm always on the lookout for exceptional vintage motorcycle photos and I had to admit it would have to be one of the greatest motorcycle photos I'd ever seen...and I'm a big So. Cal fan...Southern California is a place you can ride your bike all year long...

I started examining it closer and got the feeling it wasn't from the period...but wasn't a recent knock off either...I could see some slight wrinkling/creases and soiling in the white border....which made me feel a little better that it wasn't a $39.95 eBay pop out...

I got the feeling it was an older repop...maybe from the 70's or 80's...I did a google image search for it and couldn't find one...or on eBay...So I started seriously considering it....I knew who the dealer was but not very well...However, I have a good friend with a booth in the mall who sort of knows everybody and everything going on...who I figured would likely know the score on it...So I gave him a call...sure enough he knew the story...the dealer that was selling it bought it from a collector in the area...and that it had been in his bathroom...and it was the only thing he could buy from the guy...is what he said...

That intel...along with the slight soiling and creasing put me at ease enough to pull the trigger...I'm not crazy about the white border above and below...but I guess I'll leave it be for now...

The Potato Bug II is a whole-nother story....Someone wrote in what looks like recent ink on the back of the frame "Putter King II"...I sort of know the editor of WoodyBoater.com...which is a community just like Net54baseball.com except it's all about wooden boats and that world...all they discuss is wooden boats and all the aspects....great site...So I send photos to Matt the editor and he immediately posted a feature on my photo to see if anyone could supply any info about the boat...

I should stop right here and explain...any photos of speed boats from about pre 1930 are very rare...and the older the rarer....way more rare than baseball, football, and boxing for instance...and I'm always on the lookout for them...So there I was browsing around a cowboy antique show and blam...The dealer who I know a little and have seen around the antique shows the last 30 years, sells very good and interesting antique photos...His prices are typically not too expensive and not too cheap either...However...I think he had $95.00 on my photo...and I got it for $85.00...which in relation to how tough speedboat photos are...you get the picture...

http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2018...know-j-morgan/
So anyway...someone on WoodyBoater.com was able to I.D. the boat as Potato Bug II...see link above...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-25-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Rob

Carlton - Have you read “Boys on the Boat”? Seems right up your alley.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Jim H

Picked this up at an estate sale today, napkin collage which included one from Joe DiMaggio’s restaurant.C1F118FB-C838-4D0F-9D53-0721D6EA4670.jpg
Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Tim

Recent pickup of vintage Harridge auto. Brings my total of hof autos to 202.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg william harridge.jpg (77.0 KB, 451 views)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Picked up this pendant, not gold, says HIT USA on back. 1969 Mets World Champions. If anyone has any info on this I would certainly appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0526182016a.jpg (81.3 KB, 420 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Jerry

May 13, 1915 Nashville Banner sports page
No mention of the Federal League

Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Marc

Default Giants patches

Picked these up this week. Curious if anyone knows more about them (e.g., distribution, brand).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants patches.jpg (69.9 KB, 304 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:02 PM
Jeff Lazarus

A few scans from the Heritage lot I won. All from 1931 US Tour of Japan, all signed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (77.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (77.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg scan0006.jpg (74.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg scan0009.jpg (77.0 KB, 228 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:39 PM
Bry@n

I thought that lot was awesome, congrats on winning it Jeff! I am also really happy to see that it was sold as a lot, I love it when stuff like that stays together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
A few scans from the Heritage lot I won. All from 1931 US Tour of Japan, all signed.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Do you know the origin of the lot? The listing did not mention anything, but is there a story behind it? (I think I may have come across a few pictures in other collections that seem like they might have also been part of the collection at one point in time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I thought that lot was awesome, congrats on winning it Jeff! I am also really happy to see that it was sold as a lot, I love it when stuff like that stays together.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 PM
David Linardy

[+1 outstanding lot! I hope it stays intact.QUOTE=Jobu;1782119]I thought that lot was awesome, congrats on winning it Jeff! I am also really happy to see that it was sold as a lot, I love it when stuff like that stays together.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 PM
Danny Gabel

Default .

Photo of William "Dummy" Hoy coaching a deaf baseball club team in 1926.

Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)

Last edited by DeafSports; 05-31-2018 at 08:47 PM.