NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 PM

Default The 1915-1922 Black-and-White Sets: Many Distributors, One Producer?

The recent Heritage auction of a blank-backed, black-and-white poster (uncut sheet) titled "Stars of Base Ball, 1921" depicting 80 E121-80 subjects got me wondering whether its creator sought copyright protection. As it turns out, he did. Max B. Sheffer registered this poster with the U.S. Copyright Office, as documented in the 1921 Catalogue of Copyright Entries, volume 16, at page 175. According to the registration record, Mr. Sheffer first published this poster on April 9, 1921 and deposited two copies with the Copyright Office on April 27, 1921. (These two copies may still reside somewhere in the vast annals of the Copyright Office!) So we can say definitively that, in April 1921, Max B. Sheffer created the 80 E121-80 subjects shown in the recently auctioned poster.

Mr. Sheffer was the principal of Max B. Sheffer Card Company (M.B.S.C. for short), which during the early 1920s produced not only baseball cards but also postcards of movie stars. M.B.S.C. was headquartered at 1733 Irving Park Boulevard in Chicago.

That M.B.S.C. produced the E121-80 subjects (and almost certainly the E121-120 subjects that followed in 1922) comes as little surprise. It has long been known that the M.B.S.C. name appears on albums manufactured specifically to display these cards. In fact, Mr. Sheffer was granted a utility patent (U.S. Patent 1,536,633) on these albums.

Perhaps more interesting, however, are the close parallels that have come to light between E121-80 production/distribution and that of M101-4/5 a few years earlier.

First, both were produced in Chicago. M101-4/5s were printed by the mysterious Felix Mendelssohn (presumably named after the famous German composer), whereas E121-80s were printed by M.B.S.C. a few years later.

Second, both were marketed as "complete set" posters and individual cards. In 2010, a poster (uncut sheet) entitled “Baseball’s Hall of Fame” depicting 200 M101-5 subjects went to auction. That M101-5 poster is somewhat reminiscent of the recently auctioned E121-80 "Stars of Base Ball, 1921" poster. (Note: The M101-5 poster appears to have the then-current address of Felix Mendelssohn in the lower left corner, but I can’t make it out).

Third, both were initially printed on sheets having blank backs after which the backs of some of the sheets were printed with the names of different licensed distributors.

Fourth, both were distributed by one major distributor and several minor distributors. In the case of M101-4, major distributor was The Sporting News. In the case of E121-80, the major distributor was American Caramel.

Fifth, both had some licensed distributors in common. In particular, Standard Biscuit and Herpolsheimer’s licensed and distributed both.

Finally, I believe the chronology of the major 1915-1922 black-and-white baseball issues (M101-4/5, E135, E121-80/120) is such that there is no overlap in production—M101-4/5 was first, then E135, then E121-80/120.

Which leads to the following question: Could one person, Chicago resident Max B. Sheffer, have been responsible for producing and marketing M101-4/5, E135 and E121-80/120?

Thoughts welcome.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM

The reuse of many E135 designs (not just the same photo, but with the background painted out in the same way) in the early E121 series lends credence to your theory of a link between those sets.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Love the topic Scot. While I believe your connection of Sheffer to both the 1917 and 1921 sets is plausible, I believe Felix Mendelsohn is the sole "brains" behind the m101-4/5 issues.

Mendelsohn was not all that mysterious, but instead was a fairly prominent publisher in Chicago, with offices downtown in the People's Gas Bldg (where there is now a Bennigan's or similar Irish chain bar). He published "The Story of 100 operas"--multiple printings-which is still readily found today (check ebay), as well as a cookbook. He was probably proudest of some more coffee-table style books that discuss the movers and shakers in Chicago's history. He published soft-cover items including baseball-related "Facts for Fans" and I recall from my old research that he also was into selling arcade-type items through the Sporting News.

My suspicions have been that in 1917, when Mendelsohn learned of the E135 cards surfacing in Chicago (actually H8101-8 Boston Store), he scrapped his idea of what we know as m101-unc because it was too similar in size to E135 and went straight to m101-6s, which he endeavored to copyright. His photos in that set I believe to be the first of their kind, although many were copied in subsequent sets. I have wondered if after that set he was involved with the Exhibit Supply Co., which also operated out of Chicago and which coincidentally started issuing baseball player subjects in 1921-very shortly after the last release of m101-6. This company would likely have been a direct competitor of Sheffer. I've just been too lazy to dig into the origins and principals of ESCO-- maybe the Exhibits experts here would find that to be an interesting project.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Todd, Thanks for the input. Perhaps Sheffer was merely a local competitor trying to emulate Mendelssohn's success with M101. Is it your view that the Felix Mendelssohn Company was actually founded and operated by a person with that name (as opposed to being named after the composer)? Scot
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Hi Scot

Yes, Felix was a real guy. I have some bio info from ancestry.com or someplace, and even have a scan of his signature (but no photo, yet). His son was his namesake, and wrote some less than spectacular novels such as Super Baby and Club Tycoon. His son never married, and I didn't trace his daughter's lineage.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice discussion guys. Felix Mendohlson did seem to be a prolific printer. I have a booklet, somewhere, put out by them. They certainly made some cool cards. I always wondered if they printed this one too? It's much larger than standard M101-4/5s.