NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Default International Shipping

Hey Folks,

So I bought something from Germany. Says it shipped March 12th, and was supposed to be delivered by the 4th. Nothing yet. Is there anything that I should know about international shipping that might be holding it up? Do I have to pay import duties or something (it's not very expensive - $60), and if so how do I do that?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Hey Folks,

So I bought something from Germany. Says it shipped March 12th, and was supposed to be delivered by the 4th. Nothing yet. Is there anything that I should know about international shipping that might be holding it up? Do I have to pay import duties or something (it's not very expensive - $60), and if so how do I do that?
Sometimes things get held up at the border for no particular reason. I've had cards go past the due dates a few times but they have always shown up.

As far as duty goes, I assume that is based on where you live? I'm in Canada and I just got stung the other day on 3 cards totalling $30.00 dollars. Import/duty fees were $13.86
If sellers would just put $20.00 or less on the outside of the pkg, or no value at all, it doesn't get flagged but anything over that, it is a roll the dice situation if they are going to pick on you or not.
This is my 3rd time having to pay duty in the last couple of years.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Customs delays in all likelihood. A month is not unusual, depending on the method of shipping. I have bought a fair number of cards out of Europe and the time really varies.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-08-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:12 PM

If I have to pay import fees where/how do I do that? (I realize it might be different in the US than in Canada.)
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If I have to pay import fees where/how do I do that? (I realize it might be different in the US than in Canada.)
I have never had to do that. Not on cards anyhow; on watches a couple of times and the carrier sent me a bill.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default customs duties

If the packge is coming through the Postal Service, the Customs Service will attach a form to the package. Your local PO will collect the $, along with a small fee, and the PO will send it to the Customs Service.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:58 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I get a mail/slip notification to pick up my pkg at the P.O. instead of just finding my mail in my mail box. When I see/receive those, I know what is coming next.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
If the packge is coming through the Postal Service, the Customs Service will attach a form to the package. Your local PO will collect the $, along with a small fee, and the PO will send it to the Customs Service.

Rick
My post office must be pretty lax, I've never seen such a form or had anyone try to collect from me?

Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Seller just added tracking information. It's been sitting in a post office in NY since the 17th. Guess I'll call them tomorrow and see what (if anything) I can do about that?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Quote:
I believe that you only pay import tax on purchases over $800 in the US, in Canada we pay on everything.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My post office must be pretty lax, I've never seen such a form or had anyone try to collect from me?
In my PO we only received 1 or 2 customs items per year out of 10's of thousands of packages, so it doesn't happen very often.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I believe that you only pay import tax on purchases over $800 in the US, in Canada we pay on everything.
I believe that's correct.

Regarding shipping from Europe, I've purchased a good amount of items from central/eastern Europe and have had them take up to 4 months to get to me even though the delivery standards of the service the sellers used were ~2 weeks.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am waiting now for a card from Germany that was shipped 34 days ago. The irony is that the seller switched from regular mail to using German registered international mail. His regular airmail items used to make it here in a week. This one is in Deutschepost limbo.

By contrast, I purchased a card from Japan that made it from Tokyo to Los Angeles' main post office in six days.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-09-2018, 10:38 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a former photo seller with many non-American customers, I can say I never had any cases of dishonesty or scamming with foreign customers or sellers. In part, because I'd always check their feedback and what they sell/buy, and you can quickly identify a serious photo collector and knowledgeable seller. All my scamming and dishonesty cases have been with Americans, though that's largely a numbers game.

I think I had one case of duties, and that was on a large package. I also have friends in foreign countries who give me advice on what I can and cannot send them to avoid them paying duties. A small baseball card or even a photo would not "set off the trigger."
Old 04-09-2018, 07:02 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

If it went German international registered mail, it may have went via DHL. They should be able to give you a tracker if so... I have shipped items that way from Germany in the past and Deutchepost always sent it via DHL...