NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Seth

Catalog arrived in Canada today! Exciting stuff as always!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbernard View Post
Catalog arrived in Canada today! Exciting stuff as always!

Mine is still mia. Maybe Texas seceded and we don't get usps any longer.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Mine only arrived in PA today so don't give up hope.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I like the catalog as much as they next guy, but what a collosal waste of paper. Sure most of us already have our bids in and have since last week. I leafed through if for 20 minutes and moved it into the recycling bin. It's a beautiful thing but unnecessary. Maybe some of these companies should at least give customers the option to go paperless.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Rich Klein

Catalog arrived yesterday. More auction houses should be sending out catalogs -- in a way it's advertising budget especially when the materials are high end

Rich
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Dave H@rford

Quote:
Mark, maybe it is just you. Mine arrived in San Antonio yesterday (although was FedEx).

Dave
Old 10-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Bry@n

+ 1 -- great catalog, great AH, etc - but I would prefer to be paperless as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I like the catalog as much as they next guy, but what a collosal waste of paper. Sure most of us already have our bids in and have since last week. I leafed through if for 20 minutes and moved it into the recycling bin. It's a beautiful thing but unnecessary. Maybe some of these companies should at least give customers the option to go paperless.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Checking recent bids this morning, saw that this Yoo Hoo Mickey Mantle card went from $2,250 to $25,000 this am. Wow. I'd be yelling Yoo Hoo if I was the consigner. Wonder if it runs much higher.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=41912
I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!
No way it grabs more than the 53 Yamakastu card tha B&Luckey sold last yr for 8k. This is CRAZY!!!!
http://brockelmanauctions.com/1953_Y...S-LOT6647.aspx

Forgot to add: I got my REA catalog yesterday, and my Goldin catalog this a.m.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 10-14-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!
No way it grabs more than the 53 Yamakastu card tha B&Luckey sold last yr for 8k. This is CRAZY!!!!

Forgot to add: I got my REA catalog yesterday, and my Goldin catalog this a.m.
The Yoo Hoo is a much more desirable card. I was the underbidder on the Yamakatsu. If I was confident I could have moved my 52 Topps Mantles at more than fire sale prices, I would have gone all in on it.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1593659]I is a underbidder on the Yoo-hoo...I gotta say, I had no idea this would fetch this much. CRAZY!!!!!!!

Well, Chris, while I did not specifically write about the 1959 Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink Mickey Mantle, I wrote lovingly about these kinds of pieces in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. The Yoo-Hoo falls into the category of a sleeper that sharp and elite Mantle collectors quietly crave and would be on the watch for, should one surface. This kind of Mantle does not get talked about very much, if at all. Those who ravenously want it do not wish to call attention to it, or create more rivals for this ultra rare card.

I for one wish I knew the heritage of it, but again, in my years and years and years of gleaning Sports Collectors Digest issues, and what I had of The Trader Speaks---nothing. Nothing, that is, except for a FULL-PAGE ad in SCD offering a similar 1959 YOO-HOO Mickey Mantle. Somewhere I have the ad, for I tended to retain those kinds of sweet ads. I do not recall if that specimen had the white tab or not, but I do remember the asking price.

$25,000.

Being the mid-1990s, it was ungraded, of course. The asking price speaks volumes, though, doesn't it?

Ridiculously high, most would say. Visionary dealer, perhaps. I called the chap, and he certainly seemed in his right mind. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD, AND HE KNEW HOW RARE IT WAS, AND HE CERTAINLY WAS ASTUTE ENOUGH NOT TO BE TALKED DOWN ON A MICKEY MANTLE CARD THIS ELEGANT, OR OF THIS CALIBER (DISTINCTION, MERIT), AND OH SO RARE.

As an aside, there was a nice hard-cover picture book about collecting New York Yankee items (by David Mendel ?) 15-20 years ago, with a montage style cover. One prominent item captured my eye---a beautiful shot of the Yoo-Hoo advertising placard showing a colorized photo of Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle at a Yoo-Hoo cooler. Mick's got this comical look on his face as he has the Yoo-Hoo bottle in his mouth, appearing as if he's ready to spit it out laughing! I bought the book SOLELY for that cover photo. Former ESPN columnist Bill Simmons made many crass comments of this image of Mantle and Berra. It always cracked him up.

The distinctive feature with the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle which Robert Edward Auctions is currently offering is it still retains the little half-inch to 5/8" white "tab" at the bottom of the card. I maintain the cards were printed as a promotion for a 1959 public appearance by Mr. Mantle at the Yoo-Hoo main production plant in New Jersey. My best guess is that Mick did not show up, and the kiddies were sorely disappointed. No one, but a very few youngsters, bothered to accept or keep the card given for the intended autograph request. What other explanation could there possibly be for that white "tab" area, other than an autograph?

Since Yogi Berra is sadly now deceased, he could not be asked what he remembered about the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle cards. That was so long ago, he probably would not have any knowledge of them, if he ever had any. His connection to the Yoo-Hoo company was important, but probably not on a day-to-day basis, except perhaps after the baseball season.

Checking any local or major area New Jersey newspapers just occurred to me, but you would probably need to track down where the Yoo-Hoo plant was located at this time (find a Yoo-Hoo bottle from back then, as the address is printed on the back of the bottle), then go to a good area library. You won't be able to do an inter-library loan on microfilm, guys. Too many jerks stole reels of the microfilm, and libraries now will not let them out of their doors, period.

My point is that by researching microfilm from local or major newspapers in the vicinity of the Yoo-Hoo facility, one could look for any details of an announced appearance of Mickey at the Yoo-Hoo bottling plant in 1959. Check any mention of details of any kind.

Long shot, I know. Sometimes those long shots pay off.

In the mean time, that 1959 Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle is one swell dream card. Man, I'd love to own it.

This prime piece will probably sit at $25,000 for a while, but I imagine there will be fireworks over the course of the last day and into the wee hours of the morn. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-15-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Bry@n

Awesome post Brian. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:09 PM
qualitycards

[QUOTE=brian1961;1593718]
Quote:

Checking any local or major area New Jersey newspapers just occurred to me, but you would probably need to track down where the Yoo-Hoo plant was located at this time (find a Yoo-Hoo bottle from back then, as the address is printed on the back of the bottle)
If memory serves, I believe it was in Carlstadt NJ
Old 10-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

My catalog arrived today...fairly awesome - an odd word pairing I admit, but I was looking for another monster Wagner.

I do understand, however, that the scarcity of that card is the reason for it's draw and it's unrealistic to expect it to show up every time.

Another Great REA Offering!!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Shawn

Been trying to stay dormant...damn, you giant gorgeous catalog! Three bids in...if I win - there goes Christmas!!
Old 10-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybar View Post
Been trying to stay dormant...damn, you giant gorgeous catalog! Three bids in...if I win - there goes Christmas!!
With an auction like this good luck on dormancy >

Last edited by Leon; 10-15-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Mark Medlin

I got my catalog box today. The printer shipped me an actual empty priority mail box. Absolutely no sign that it was ever opened. I bet they charged rea for that high level service though.

Mark
Old 10-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
I got my catalog box today. The printer shipped me an actual empty priority mail box. Absolutely no sign that it was ever opened. I bet they charged rea for that high level service though.

Mark

Maybe they sent you the virtual catalog? Its interactive now you know...
Old 11-01-2016, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=brian1961;1593718]
Quote:

Well, Chris, while I did not specifically write about the 1959 Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink Mickey Mantle, I wrote lovingly about these kinds of pieces in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. The Yoo-Hoo falls into the category of a sleeper that sharp and elite Mantle collectors quietly crave and would be on the watch for, should one surface. This kind of Mantle does not get talked about very much, if at all. Those who ravenously want it do not wish to call attention to it, or create more rivals for this ultra rare card.

I for one wish I knew the heritage of it, but again, in my years and years and years of gleaning Sports Collectors Digest issues, and what I had of The Trader Speaks---nothing. Nothing, that is, except for a FULL-PAGE ad in SCD offering a similar 1959 YOO-HOO Mickey Mantle. Somewhere I have the ad, for I tended to retain those kinds of sweet ads. I do not recall if that specimen had the white tab or not, but I do remember the asking price.

$25,000.

Being the mid-1990s, it was ungraded, of course. The asking price speaks volumes, though, doesn't it?

Ridiculously high, most would say. Visionary dealer, perhaps. I called the chap, and he certainly seemed in his right mind. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD, AND HE KNEW HOW RARE IT WAS, AND HE CERTAINLY WAS ASTUTE ENOUGH NOT TO BE TALKED DOWN ON A MICKEY MANTLE CARD THIS ELEGANT, OR OF THIS CALIBER (DISTINCTION, MERIT), AND OH SO RARE.

As an aside, there was a nice hard-cover picture book about collecting New York Yankee items (by David Mendel ?) 15-20 years ago, with a montage style cover. One prominent item captured my eye---a beautiful shot of the Yoo-Hoo advertising placard showing a colorized photo of Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle at a Yoo-Hoo cooler. Mick's got this comical look on his face as he has the Yoo-Hoo bottle in his mouth, appearing as if he's ready to spit it out laughing! I bought the book SOLELY for that cover photo. Former ESPN columnist Bill Simmons made many crass comments of this image of Mantle and Berra. It always cracked him up.

The distinctive feature with the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle which Robert Edward Auctions is currently offering is it still retains the little half-inch to 5/8" white "tab" at the bottom of the card. I maintain the cards were printed as a promotion for a 1959 public appearance by Mr. Mantle at the Yoo-Hoo main production plant in New Jersey. My best guess is that Mick did not show up, and the kiddies were sorely disappointed. No one, but a very few youngsters, bothered to accept or keep the card given for the intended autograph request. What other explanation could there possibly be for that white "tab" area, other than an autograph?

Since Yogi Berra is sadly now deceased, he could not be asked what he remembered about the Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle cards. That was so long ago, he probably would not have any knowledge of them, if he ever had any. His connection to the Yoo-Hoo company was important, but probably not on a day-to-day basis, except perhaps after the baseball season.

Checking any local or major area New Jersey newspapers just occurred to me, but you would probably need to track down where the Yoo-Hoo plant was located at this time (find a Yoo-Hoo bottle from back then, as the address is printed on the back of the bottle), then go to a good area library. You won't be able to do an inter-library loan on microfilm, guys. Too many jerks stole reels of the microfilm, and libraries now will not let them out of their doors, period.

My point is that by researching microfilm from local or major newspapers in the vicinity of the Yoo-Hoo facility, one could look for any details of an announced appearance of Mickey at the Yoo-Hoo bottling plant in 1959. Check any mention of details of any kind.

Long shot, I know. Sometimes those long shots pay off.

In the mean time, that 1959 Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle is one swell dream card. Man, I'd love to own it.

This prime piece will probably sit at $25,000 for a while, but I imagine there will be fireworks over the course of the last day and into the wee hours of the morn. ---Brian Powell
Well, I was mistaken about the fireworks display I prognosticated on this rare Mickey Mantle. It seems someone did put in a bid beyond 25K on the last day--but it was immediately topped. I imagine the gentleman decided it was futile, and simply did not want to continue.

With the buyer's premium, the final bill was $36,000, still an impressive sum for a tough Mickey Mantle baseball card. It just falls considerably short of where a high grade centered PSA '52/'53 Topps or '51 Bowman would hammer for now.

I said it before, the 1959 Yoo Hoo Chocolate Drink Mantle is an awesome card. I wish I owned one. I hope its story will be told some day, too, but I fear that time has now passed. The REA write-up was puzzling, for so very little was told about the card. Guess if you don't know anything, you won't say anything. The connection, however brief, between Yoo Hoo and Mantle, is definite, though. With that comical ad photo, and his image on the caps, there is some provenance, enough of which so a few collectors bid it up to 25K on the opening day. Closing at $36K is still substantial.

'Nuf said. ---Brian Powell