NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM

Default ? for type collectors

First off I know everyone does it different but just would like to hear how some of you go about it. Im thinking of shifting my collecting focus to getting one of as many typs as I can with the focus on quanity over quality with a few stars and HOFers sprinkled in. Do some of you have a type focus (only HOFers, certain players, certain teams, certain condition, only graded, only raw, ect.) Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Barry Arnold

Default type

after taming the Monster, I began to be a bit singleminded about type collecting and now have over 200 types. I collect only from 1900-1939.
I basically have 3 foci1) following the ACC and looking for one card for each
designation and sometimes an extra card or so if it's a Nagy or a Lionel Carter.
T's, E's, R's, W's, WG's, M's,and F's are my best work thus far with some attention to S's, B's, P's, PC's,C's, V's,D's, U's,H's.
(2) collecting T206 'era' packs,tins, pouches. (3) collecting Type 1 conlon,
thompson, van oeyen, burke, and brace with an eye for finding photos which were the bases for vintage cards,e.g. i have a conlon tannehill with its matching T206; a conlon Paskert with its matching T3; a burke Medwick with its matching s and s game card.
great fun.
I hope this helps.
best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 11-08-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
pete ullman

Since I started seriously collecting solely vintage in the early nineties...I have been a type collector. My initial goal was an ACC run of E, T cards...which eventually evolved into D,R,W and 19th c cards as well. From a basic run of e90-1-e107...you can evolve into collecting the diff backs of e92(nadja, dockman, crofts candy(diff colors) and cocoa, ...the diff color backs of e94/e98...the e97/e97 bw.

I have recently sold off some of my toughest backed t206's...thereby disrupting that aspect of my type collecting. Additionally at times it has been frustrating that some types(t214/t215 pirate(if u can find one)/e107) can cost in the thousands for common cards...and this has turned me off and away a bit from type collecting.

These days I'm going after a set or two...and have a few type related goals I'm still trying to complete...but some of these cards just never come up!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Zach

I am strictly a HOF collector from 1887-1991. I do have some few exceptions such as a 63 Rose and a 58 Maris, Frank Thomas (1990 Frank Thomas), Ken Griffey Jr. For the years 1933-1988 I mostly collect HOF rookie cards, as long as they are actually rookie cards of rookie players, meaning they would have have had 1 1/2 seasons or less played before the card was released. Unless they got sent back to the minors for while right after their first partial season (Ex. Hank Greenberg, Carlton Fisk, Robin Yount) I also exclusively collect only within main sets of cards only (Ex. Topps, Bowman, Fleer, Donruss, Upperdeck, T205, T206 (soon), Allen & Ginter, Goodwin, Goudey etc...One day I will probably get into back collecting for T206 and T205 but I will not care about ink color or stats on back or lack thereof.

Last edited by zljones; 11-08-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default one of each plus

My goal is one of each ACC#'d card from 1900-1949, plus all back and other variations...as well as one each of all uncatalogued cards and their variations. Pretty easy task.....
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber63401 View Post
First off I know everyone does it different but just would like to hear how some of you go about it. Im thinking of shifting my collecting focus to getting one of as many typs as I can with the focus on quanity over quality with a few stars and HOFers sprinkled in. Do some of you have a type focus (only HOFers, certain players, certain teams, certain condition, only graded, only raw, ect.) Thanks.
Do you have a favorite team? That's the path I chose when I began my type set (see my sigline link). Sure, I am not going to be able to pick up an example of every set produced, but I'm OK with that...

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 PM
M!ke S@il£r

What is the best estimate as to the number of type cards you would own if you could obtain one card of each issue from 19th century to 1939?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default define more

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
What is the best estimate as to the number of type cards you would own if you could obtain one card of each issue from 19th century to 1939?

Cataloged or uncatalogued or both? Variations?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Val Kehl

My goal impossible is to match Leon's fantastic 1900 - 1949 type-card collection plus 19th Century and 1950 - 1975 type cards. I prefer for my type cards to be Washington players, especially W. Johnson and/or S. Rice, or at least players who spent some part of their careers with Washington. Most of my collection is raw, and most of my vintage type cards are in lesser condition (F - VGEX). I accept that there are some type cards that I will never acquire due to their cost, unless I happen to win the lottery. For me, it's a fun marathon!
Val
Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM
M!ke S@il£r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Cataloged or uncatalogued or both? Variations?
I suppose there is no way to answer the question if you include every possible variation.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 AM

I started with the major issues like T206, Goudey, etc...and in the beginning was trying to get a HOF player and/or key card.....but now I just focus on getting type issue that I personally like or appeal to me. That's the cool thing about type collecting...you can morph your personal preference...but in the end...you are still a "type" collector!

Ricky Y