NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 PM
edward broeth

Default so what are you reading now?

i am currently reading DROOD by dan simmons, great book!!!

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Eric Shaeffer

"The Match" by Mark Frost. Sorry Feinstein, but Frost is the best golf book author imo.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Doug C.

It's not a sports book, but I'm reading the Tao Te Ching. I'm kind of like the most interesting man in the world from the Dos Equis commercials when it comes to books. I don't always read books, but when I do I read something off the beaten path...
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Rob G.

Book before last was "Survival in the Killing Fields", based on the Cambodian massacres of the 1970s. GREAT book.

Just finished Rex Ryan's (NY Football Jets head coach) "Play Like You Mean It". Good, but not great, book.

About to read Orwell's "1984".

And considering getting "Catch-22", which I've heard great things about.

I don't read much, but realize I probably should read more often before my mind turns to total mush
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM
tony

the Dark tower series by Stephen King
Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Jon Canfield

New Bourne book... The Bourne Dominion
Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Clayton

"American Conspiracies" by Jesse Ventura, am in the last chapter now.

I've got to say, this book is an "eye opener" to say the least.

I've also been reading through the Kovels' Antiques & Collectibles 2010 price guide, there's a lot of cool items in there and it's pretty fun to learn about antiques.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Brad

Default 1919 Black Sox connection

Just started reading a book that's been out a while (2003 I think?), but that I had previously missed somehow. It's called "Rothstein" by David Pietrusza.

I'm guessing a lot of board members have already read it, but it's about the life of Arnold Rothstein, the mastermind behind the 1919 World Series fix. Outstanding book so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I read Hardball on vacation... Darn good read. I once coached an inner city league so it was extra special for me.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Jeff Gross

The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It's the story of SEAL Team 10 in Afghanistan. Maybe the best book I ever read. Marcus is the baddest man on the planet. Will never look at the Navy SEALS the same again after this book.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Just started reading a book that's been out a while (2003 I think?), but that I had previously missed somehow. It's called "Rothstein" by David Pietrusza.

I'm guessing a lot of board members have already read it, but it's about the life of Arnold Rothstein, the mastermind behind the 1919 World Series fix. Outstanding book so far.
pietrusza is a fantastic writer. He has written two great books on presidential elections - 1960 and 1920: The Year of Five Presidents. Both are worth the time.
I just read a few good books on vacation: Badasses (about the Raiders), House of Bilqis (novel set in Pakistan), Project Azorian (about the Glomar Explorer and the attempt to raise a Soviet sub); and Wrestling with Moses (about Jane Jacobs and her fight to save lower Manhattan from developments planned by Robert Moses). All are recommended
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 PM

Last two books I read were Our Lady of the Flowers by Jean Genet and The Room by Hubert Selby Jr.

Our Lady of the Flowers was written by a man serving a life sentence in solitary cell in France, and the book is dreamlike/nightmare-like and very subversive. The prose is uniquely dreamlike and beautiful. It makes no difference to me, but I will note that the book is very homosexual.

The Room was written by Selby (Last Exit to Brooklyn, Requiem for a Dream) who is often ranked as the most disturbing serious writer of fiction, and this book, though profound and sad, is often ranked as the most disturbing book ever written. Selby said he couldn't read the book for 20 years after he wrote it. Comparable to Our Lady of the Flowers, the book is the first person narration of a petty criminal waiting in a cell before his trial. The criminal is deluded, pathetic, unreliable in what he says, broken and truly sick as he talks about his past and fantasizes about those who he perceives have wrong him. Its a fascinating and serious psychological book for the few who can stomach it. Most people who read the reviews for the book are scared to even touch it, though I didn't find it that bad.

An interesting thing about Selby, a Brooklyn heroine addict, is he was a devout Christian, and considered his books to be religious stories. It's just that his books were about the wretches and broken people of 'the other side' of New York City. Many who had read his books were surprised when the met him that he was such a nice, friendly guy. Also counterintuitively, he loved and raised songbirds and you'll find photos showing him with a bird on his shoulder.

Last edited by drc; 08-05-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM
edward broeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescooper View Post
the Dark tower series by Stephen King

PERHAPS THE GREATEST SERIES EVER WRITTEN!!!, are you enjoying it?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Jason Albregts

"Hitter" a biography of Ted Williams by Ed Linn. Just about done and it's been great.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg8422 View Post
The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It's the story of SEAL Team 10 in Afghanistan. Maybe the best book I ever read. Marcus is the baddest man on the planet. Will never look at the Navy SEALS the same again after this book.

I've been fortunate to be at a couple of events with Luttrell. He's a remarkable person and a huge baseball fan. Amazing book - I have no idea how or why this has not been made into a movie. It will be eventually I'm sure.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Jeff Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I've been fortunate to be at a couple of events with Luttrell. He's a remarkable person and a huge baseball fan. Amazing book - I have no idea how or why this has not been made into a movie. It will be eventually I'm sure.
Marcus is an amazing person. As big as an American hero as they come. Nothing like a 6'5'' Texan who takes no shit. I did see that his story is being made into a movie.

Last edited by jg8422; 08-06-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Darren DeBruhl

Reading "The Hoosier Schoolmaster"

"The History of Witches"

"Death of a Colonial"

All fictional, I think that is all of them right now.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderbroeth View Post
PERHAPS THE GREATEST SERIES EVER WRITTEN!!!, are you enjoying it?
I am loving it.I have never been a "fan" of Mr King but my wife nagged me for 10 years to read it.We have about 5000 books in our house and I was looking for a new read so she sort of insisted I read this series. I like to read 3 books at a time!.A morning read a daytime read and an evening read.the "tower" is my morning read.I am reading "The Map That Changed The World" my daytime read and my evening read is some crappy fiction book to bore me to sleep.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default The Spy

Wrapping up The Spy by Clive Cussler...first Isaac Bell I've read (been a Dirk Pitt guy until now)...great stuff.
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 PM

Reading several right now:

Angle of Repose - fantastic book by Wallace Stegner. Great blend of past and present (1970) as seen by a wheelchair-bound historian, researching his grandparents' roots.

A Disturbance of Fate - a richly realized book of Alternate History, exploring many of the "What Ifs" that would arise in discussing an America in which Bobby Kennedy was NOT assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan in 1968.

also, re-reading Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I go back and forth whether I prefer this one or The Great Gatsby. Both are awe-inspiring. Enjoying it for the third time. First read it way back in high school in 1985.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Omniscience and the Rhetoric of Reason by Sara McClintock
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Daryl

Joshua, Matthew and Romans.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Travels with Herodotus by Ryszard Kapuscinski
One of my favorite authors, but this is starting to look like not one of his best efforts.

Last edited by Griffins; 09-05-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Jim Crandell

Hoop Crazy by Clair Bee--#6 in the series. You just cannot read these Chip Hilton Books too many times, I have the 23 books on a 4-year rotation. I absolutely hate the reprints however.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
edward broeth

abraham lincoln vampire hunter, by seth grahame-smith

Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Barry Sloate

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?, by Steven Tyler

Pretty funny book, some of it interesting, especially where my own life nearly coincided with Aerosmith's early days in Boston. They used to practice in my BU dormitory (West Campus), and knew someone I knew well, but it occurred a year after I left.

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-07-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 AM

"Back Spin" by Harlan Corbin. This is my first time reading any of Corben's books and it appears to be the continuing story of Myron Bolitar...a sports agent who also seems to be a private investigator of sorts. This book is pretty good. It's about a golfer who 20+ years ago lost a huge lead at the US Open and has never been close ever since.He is leading the tournament again after all those years when he finds suddenly finds out that his 15 year old son has been kidnapped. I still have a lot more to read!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 AM

I downloaded a copy of the original "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand a couple of weeks ago (Kindle version). I read it about 40 yrs ago in college and really didn't remember it much. Very appropriate theme for todays political environment. The movie doesn't do it justice. Great book.

dh
Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Patrick N.

Rereading Co. Aytch (civil war memoir)
Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 AM

Same book I've been reading since 2005.

"A Portrait of Baseball Photography" - By Fogel, Yee, & Oser.

BaseballPhotoBook.jpgBaseballPhotoBook2.jpgBaseballPhotoBook3.jpg
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
David Str@@te

The writing prompts of 23 7-year-olds. Riveting stuff. I'll post highlights soon.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Doug C.

I recently finished reading "The Last Boy" about Mickey Mantle. I can't say that I was overly impressed with it since I didn't really learn anything new, but I would probably recommend it for someone that's not familiar with his life as it is pretty thorough with a lot of information.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Murr the Blurr

The Politics of Rage: George Wallace and the origins of the New Conservatism, by Dan T. Carter.

A fascinating study of the personality and principles of the Alabama populist who became the most influential "loser" in the history of U.S. politics. Great stuff.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

'Race Ball'. Heard it was great, but just started.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm receiving my copy of The Glory of Their Times tomorrow or so hopefully. Excited to read it!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Clayton

Right now I have two books going- one is massive, over 1000 pages, and it's called " The Spirit of Seventy Six-The Story Of The American Revolution As Told By Participants" edited by Henry Steele Commager and Richard B. Morris.

The other one is called "The Book Of Kells"- an illustrated introduction to the manuscript in Trinity College Dublin, by Bernard Meehan. Beautiful illustrations in this book.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Barry Sloate

Clayton- a question about the first book: how does one interview participants of the American Revolution? Didn't they die quite a while ago?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM
edward broeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Right now I have two books going- one is massive, over 1000 pages, and it's called " The Spirit of Seventy Six-The Story Of The American Revolution As Told By Participants" edited by Henry Steele Commager and Richard B. Morris.

The other one is called "The Book Of Kells"- an illustrated introduction to the manuscript in Trinity College Dublin, by Bernard Meehan. Beautiful illustrations in this book.

Sincerely, Clayton

the first book is one i would love to read! i love early U.S. history!! tell me how it was!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Rereading Co. Aytch (civil war memoir)
^^That one is one of my favorite books ever.^^

Right now I am reading "The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy" by Bill Simmons.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Clayton- a question about the first book: how does one interview participants of the American Revolution? Didn't they die quite a while ago?
Good one Barry

I'll just use direct quote straight out of the introduction:

To tell the story of the American Revolution in the words of participants has involved extensive examination of a vast miscellany of sources hitherto discrete: letters, diaries, journals, orderly books, official records of the Congress and of state legislatures, diplomatic correspondence, local histories, Parliamentary debates, the writings of statesmen on both sides of the Atlantic, the voluminous collections and proceedings of historical societies, and many manuscript repositories. It has meant running down countless clues to discover the best account of a battle, or an account written from a new vantage point; the best report of a debate; the most authentic record of a negotiation; the most faithful reflection of an attitude or mood.

benderbroeth- I've really just begun with this book and I'm sure it will take me a long time to reach the end, but I'm already captivated by the amount of detail these guys put into this book. If you like American history, I'd say this is worth reading for sure (so far at least).

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Clayton- I thought maybe they dug up some 250 year old man who remembered fighting at Bunker Hill.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Arnie

I am just about to start the third of the four books in the great Arthur C. Clarke "Rama" series. These are so great, I had read the first one a long time ago, didnt even know the other 3 existed until recently.

I recently finished the 4 books in his "2001" series, and then will re-read all the Isaac Asimov books in the awesome "Foundation" series, havent read them in over 40 years and dont hardly remember anything about them. In fact I have only read the 3 main ones, now there are others in the series (prequels, whatever), and I have about 8 or 9 of them to read. Yup, I love science fiction.

Love books on the Yankees too, and was just given the book "1921", I will probably wedge that in when I finish the "Rama" books and before I start the "Foundation" books.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 12-19-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I'm about finished with "Red Legs and Black Sox: Edd Roush and the Untold Story of the 1919 World Series" by Susan Dellinger.

It appeals to me on 2 levels - the first being it really has a great section on the Federal League from a personal standpoint because Roush was one of the best in that league and played both of its professional seasons. It's interesting also because Roush was one of the leagues' home-grown stars, he wasn't recruited from the American or National Leagues.

The other reason this book is a darn good read is that it tells the story of the 1919 series from the other side - the victorious Cincinnati Reds. The author (who is Roush's granddaughter) goes into how dirty the game was back then - Roush accuses Hal Chase and Lee Magee of throwing over 20 games during the 1918 season, giving the Cubs the pennant. It also poses interesting questions about why the great Christy Matthewson, Reds Skipper in 1917 and 18, refused to do anything as those two bums threw game after game. According to the author the whole team knew what Magee and Chase were up to and team moral suffered as Matthewson turned a blind eye. Magee was even attacked on the field by a teammate during batting practice because of his crooked play.

Because it's by his granddaughter, it gets a little sappy in parts when the text deals with Roush and his wife's relationship, but that's to be expected and frankly the other information included in this book is more than worth it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

I have been thoroughly enjoying Umberto Eco's latest book: The Prague Cemetery. Some of his novels are very esoteric and perhaps difficult, but this one would appeal to Name of the Rose fans.

Oddly, I was given only two books for Christmas - one on Catholicism (by a Catholic) and one on Creationism (by a Creationist). They are short and probably diametrically opposed, so I'll read them next. Should be weird if not entertaining.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Murr the Blurr

"No Regrets", the autobiography of former KISS lead guitarist Ace Frehley.
The Spaceman bares all, from drugs and debauchery to what it finally took to turn his life around. Witty, well-written ... and curiously informative, too.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 AM
P.hil €lli$

I am reading "America's Quarterback : Bart Starr and the Rise of the NFL".

Got it for Christmas. Almost half way done and very good so far.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

*The expressed views and opinions contained within this publication do not necessarily reflect the official position of this Poster nor his affiliates.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
David Str@@te

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey,

Although my mom informed me that Oprah exposed him as a fraud. I guess I'll read it as a fiction offering.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Smile Fierce Invalids Back From Warm Climates

Tom Robbins makes me smile.http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/i...lies/smile.gif
Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
John

Nice Guys Finish Last (Durocher). Ok, it's a 30 year old book but I saw it at the library and decided to give it a read. About third of the way through and interesting so far.