NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Tony Ooten

Default How long should it take?

I finally won a few modest lots recently from an auction house and after waiting two days for an invoice, paid by paypal expecting "immediate" shipment (per the auction rules on their website). On the 6th business day after paying, I received an email saying my package had been shipped.

That's immediate?

My question : Is this normal? How long does it normally take to receive won lots from most auction houses?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Fred

That's not bad. I've waited much longer.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Sounds pretty quick... What auction house takes paypal?!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Dave

Yeah, sounds pretty quick to me.

Most I've won have taken weeks, and most don't take credit cards and Paypal because it cuts down on their bottom line and they end up waiting for checks to clear.

I even had one auction house call me a month after I won an auction and ask where payment was. I had to dig through my bank records to show them they cashed my check and it had cleared weeks ago.

They apologized and sent the items immediately, but it annoyed me they didn't even know they already had my money.

Seems people these days want stuff yesterday. All I really care about is if my item is authentic, is it what it was described as in the auction, did they hide things from me in the description, and was it packed safely when if was sent to me.

Everything else is extraneous to me...........but I'm probably more patient then others.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I would say thats a very fast turnaround, my normal time to receive winnings is around 3-4 weeks, anything 2 weeks or less is awesome.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Steven

Default Really?

I am shocked to read the answers to this question. First, it does seem most auction houses do not accept payppal/cc, so there is additional waiting time for the check to be received. But Huggins and Scott sends cards immedicately once receiving the check. I get upset on ebay when i pay immediately and recieve cards 10 days later...why? I started a post on auction houses and there were tons of responses to the effect "I am willing to pay more to guarantee authenticity and a quip ship"....tell my it takes an additional 6 business day = 2 weeks until delivery? Yes, i am impatient but I pay immediately and fail to understand why it takes so long to send stuff....rant, rant....I as a seller have NEVER shipped more than 24hrs after payment received...jus my opinion though.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Sounds pretty quick... What auction house takes paypal?!
Sterling takes paypal.

This from their Auction Terms and Conditions:
"Payments made via Paypal or money order will result in immediate shipment. Payments via check may have items held until funds clear at the discretion of Sterling Sports Auctions"

I'm still very pleased with them, just that the word "immediate" threw me off. Didn't really know what to expect since I hadn't dealt with an auction house before.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Alan U

[QUOTE=tonyo;938284]Sterling takes paypal.
QUOTE]

Baggers does too, I've found that both ship very quickly.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I am shocked to read the answers to this question. First, it does seem most auction houses do not accept payppal/cc, so there is additional waiting time for the check to be received. But Huggins and Scott sends cards immedicately once receiving the check. I get upset on ebay when i pay immediately and recieve cards 10 days later...why? I started a post on auction houses and there were tons of responses to the effect "I am willing to pay more to guarantee authenticity and a quip ship"....tell my it takes an additional 6 business day = 2 weeks until delivery? Yes, i am impatient but I pay immediately and fail to understand why it takes so long to send stuff....rant, rant....I as a seller have NEVER shipped more than 24hrs after payment received...jus my opinion though.
I'd give 24-48 hours as being reasonable.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Dave

Sterling is in Poughkeepsie. Northeast got hit with a devastating snowstorm the day after their auction. I've still got people around me without power.

I'd be inclined to cut them some slack.

It's still laser fast compared to most auction houses.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Todd C

love Sterling Auctions

takes Paypal, great opening bids, and shipping time was very reasonable
Old 11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Pete Sycks

Sterling and Brian are a class act. I've actually received tracking numbers within hours of payment and almost always goes out that day. Legendary / Goodwin ship immediately upon receiving the check. I can understand holding a check a week or so the first time you receive one from a buyer, but not the 2nd / 3rd, etc. I also love the cheap shipping costs by Sterling / now Gem mint. $12 is amazing.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

The word "immediate" is comparative. Most auction houses wait 2-3 weeks if you send them a check, in order for it to clear. If you have sent Sterling a check, you'd most likely have to wait a couple of weeks or so, and in comparison, paying by paypal is "immediate."

I can understand holding a check, especially if the buyer is new or the winnings are in the thousands or more.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Sterling is in Poughkeepsie. Northeast got hit with a devastating snowstorm the day after their auction. I've still got people around me without power.

I'd be inclined to cut them some slack.

It's still laser fast compared to most auction houses.

I didn't think of the snow storm.
I'll re-iterate that I have no problems with them. In retrospect I didn't interpret "immediate" correctly. I normally associate immediate with "I'll do it right now" (not next week).

I was just curious about the normal process and it sounds like they are one of the better performers.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I didn't think of the snow storm.
I'll re-iterate that I have no problems with them. In retrospect I didn't interpret "immediate" correctly. I normally associate immediate with "I'll do it right now" (not next week).

I was just curious about the normal process and it sounds like they are one of the better performers.
Hey Tony...I'm in Connecticut and I can vouch for the whole winter storm thing...we didn't have power for a week. I did not receive my Sterling invoice until a few days after the auction closed (Monday or Tuesday)...I paid same day via PP and had cards in hand three days later...

Surely they were impacted as last auction, I had an invoice waiting for me the morning after the auction closed so I'm sure everything was thrown out of whack due to the storm.
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Hey Tony...I'm in Connecticut and I can vouch for the whole winter storm thing...we didn't have power for a week. I did not receive my Sterling invoice until a few days after the auction closed (Monday or Tuesday)...I paid same day via PP and had cards in hand three days later...
Surely they were impacted as last auction, I had an invoice waiting for me the morning after the auction closed so I'm sure everything was thrown out of whack due to the storm.

Now that's what I call "immediate" - Thanks Matt
Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Something else to think of. If immediate meant within 24 hours, and they just had 100's of auctions paid the day after via Paypal, they would have to hire several temps to package and mail them.

Do you want temp employees packaging your lots in order to receive them a few days earlier? Plus you would have to pay for them somehow....i.e. higher fees.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Something else to think of. If immediate meant within 24 hours, and they just had 100's of auctions paid the day after via Paypal, they would have to hire several temps to package and mail them.

Do you want temp employees packaging your lots in order to receive them a few days earlier? Plus you would have to pay for them somehow....i.e. higher fees.
No, ......and I'm just having fun being painfully literal now.........., but maybe if he changed the verbiage to " shipped within a week " I wouldn't have been expecting the package in 3 or 4 days.

All is well!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Brian is top notch, when Canada post was off for a month he held on to my cards until I gave the thumbs up.

Last edited by atx840; 11-10-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Tom Boblitt

You also have to consider the Brian/Sterling is a different setup than a Legendary or Huggins & Scott. More of a boutique auction. Not sure if he has a day job too or not but I don't think 6 days is completely unwarranted. He's a great guy and, at times, I think we all know that things don't go 100% EVERY day......for any of us........
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
You also have to consider the Brian/Sterling is a different setup than a Legendary or Huggins & Scott. More of a boutique auction. Not sure if he has a day job too or not but I don't think 6 days is completely unwarranted. He's a great guy and, at times, I think we all know that things don't go 100% EVERY day......for any of us........
+1

Well said.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
My question : Is this normal? How long does it normally take to receive won lots from most auction houses?
Thanks to all for answering my question. Two weeks between end of auction and receipt of cards is an excellent turn around for auction houses.