NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Premier Collectible Conference & Exhibition

Posted By: Premier Collectible Conference & Exhibition

New Conference & Exhibition Takes Business of Collecting to the Next Level

Introducing the Premier Collectible Conference & Exhibition
- an elite event for serious participants in the evolving collectibles industry

Collectibles isn't a mom and pop industry anymore. The truth is it hasn't been for quite awhile. In fact, collecting has become a billion dollar market. In 2001, Doug Allen, President and COO of Mastro Auctions, a leading Sports and Americana auction house and Ryan Friedman, owner of Auction Report, began exploring resources, information and issues that the rapidly evolving collecting industry would require as a result of its transformation from a primarily home-based, small time hobby to its current big business status. The result is the Premier Collectible Conference & Exhibition (PCCE), which will be held April 17-20, 2008 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, IL.

The PCCE is a unique event unlike anything that currently exists in the collectible industry. The goal of the PCCE is to bring serious collectors and the industry's most respected sources together in a professional environment that reflects the current state of the collectible industry. Created to address topics, challenges, provide education and discuss trends in the collectible arena, the PCCE will be mutually beneficial to all participants. While initially the brainchild of Allen and Friedman, the PCCE concept has quickly gained strong support from the industry's top tier of collectible-associated businesses and forward thinking collectors.

"While most individuals still collect because it's in their blood, the business end of the industry, especially when it comes to the high end, can no longer be ignored," said Joe Orlando, President of Professional Sports Authenticators, a premier sports authentication firm. "With prices escalating and authenticity becoming an increasing concern, collectors spending big money want to know more about the sources they are dealing with and rightfully so. The PCCE will provide the ideal forum for this to occur."

Marshall Fogel, a well-known sports collector agrees. "The PCCE is an important addition to the existing collecting shows, especially for the advanced collector," said Fogel. While Fogel admits that the existing shows do provide resources for all collectors and are extremely valuable, the PCCE will bring aspects that are equally as necessary, especially in today's collecting environment. "When it comes down to doing serious collecting business on an investment level, it would be advantageous to have the best of the best in one place. That's what the PCCE will offer."

In addition to facilitating intimate interaction between collector and collectible source, the PCCE will bring collectible leaders together to enhance the perception of the industry. Most experts agree that the collectibles industry, like most industries, has some negative aspects and a few less than reputable players. But because of the industry's explosive growth, the indiscretions of the few have had a tendency to overshadow the many positive developments overall. The PCCE will function as a quasi think tank hosted by an elite group of collectible leaders on the forefront of the industry's evolution who are actively committed to promoting its new professionalism, integrity and business acumen.

"For collectors and the masses, the PCCE will take much of the guess work out of who is and isn't a respected source in the collectible industry," said Brian Drent of Mile High Card Company. "While many of us may be competitors at the conference we understand that by working with our esteemed peers at events such as these, we all benefit. By promoting what is positive about the collectible industry and tacking difficult issues head on we will ensure the professional path we pave today will serve us all well in the future."

The four-day PCCE event will be limited to less than 100 exhibitors, which makes up the nation's top auction houses, dealers and authentication companies, to ensure a quality event and environment. The event will feature ample time and space to meet, buy, sell, consign and become better acquainted with the top industry sources. Major grading and authentication companies have agreed to provide onsite services for attendees. There will also be special exhibits of high-end items. Round table discussions for the public will be conducted on topics such as graded cards, authentication, game used memorabilia and autographs, insurance of collectibles, and collecting tips. Several question and answer sessions with the industry's top experts will also be held. Exhibitors will participate in special roundtable discussions geared specifically to their needs. Topics during these sessions will include advertising and overall marketing, technology, insurance, image improvement, and the state of the industry.

Allen observes that while the PCCE has been created to assist the collectible industry adjust to its new big business role today and in the future, it is interesting to note that its basic concept behind it remains rooted in the past.

"During the collectible industry's infancy, especially with sports items, it was individuals who really understood and respected the material that would get together and work toward furthering their common passion," said Allen. "When you think about it, that's what the PCCE really is with an added emphasis on the business component. It's often a nod and respect for the past that positions you well for success in the future."

For more information or to attend the Premier Collectibles Conference & Exhibition,
please http://www.pcce2008.com.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

Myself and Richard Masson will be setting up at this event and have 10 cases full of 19th and 20th century cards, mostly graded, from commons to extreme rarities. We will be buying as well, one card or entire collections. Make plans now to attend this innaugural show.

Scott

Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

If you are planning to attend like I am, but not set up, if you go to the web site and register before the end of February, registration is free. And when I sent an email to the info email provided, hotel information is scheduled to be released next week.

As now the private citizen I am in terms of the hobby, I'm hoping that this is similar to what the National was before the 1991 Anaheim show in which there was always room for seminars. The state of the hobby yearly panel was always a highlight of the conferences as well as other topics. I'm hoping that the type of audience that attends this show appreciates everything.

I love the National but the show may just have grown too large for what the original purposes was. That's OK as that's part of growth. I hope there is room for both types of events in our business.

Regards
Rich Klein

Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Moss

"For collectors and the masses, the PCCE will take much of the guess work out of who is and isn't a respected source in the collectible industry,"

Now THAT is the funniest damned line I have read in quite some time.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty quinn

paul- brian drent made that comment. brian forgets when he used to set up at the ft. wash. show trying like heck to become the "man" so to speak, once i seen the rolex on his wrist at a show i knew the cockiness would follow, and it did, i still like him, buy comments like that won't make you any new friends thats for sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

With exception of a handful on the list of exhibitors, it makes one wonder if the PCCE is not a part of the Fed government setting up a sting. Seeing some of those names makes me wonder if the PCCE was stuck at 19 dealers and then decided to have an open call. YIKES.

Greg

Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I didn't see Mr. Mint on that list. Does that mean there won't be a front door?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

"I didn't see Mr. Mint on that list. Does that mean there won't be a front door?"

Now, THAT is laugh-out-loud funny.

-Al

Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Well--Bruce Dorskin advocated something along these lines and was ridiculed for it but here it is.

I have to agree with Paul Moss on Bryan Drent's line promoting himself--"takes much of the guess work over who is and isn"t a respected source". Wow--who annointed him a leading dealer???

Look at the list of dealers. Greg is right on the money--a few dealers on this list I wouldn't touch a thing they sold with a ten foot pole. Others are complete unknowns in the hobby.

I can't wait to see the topics of the "roundtable discussions"--

How to "prepare" cards for grading
How to take creases out of cards
Trimming for fun and profit
How to make auctions end at the top all bid every time

After all--this is billed as an "elite" event for "serious" participants

Hmmm, I wonder if they would invite Kevin Saucier to be on a panel---or even Mike Baker....I doubt it.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Well, it's a start, but I agree with Jim that the list of participants should have been given more thought.

Frank

Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I'm not sure it will be work for the Chicago area. This in April, a large Chicago sports show in June and the National late July into early August. Between April & August, there's 3 "shows" in the Chicago area. Wow !

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

Jim C wrote - "Well--Bruce Dorskin advocated something along these lines and was ridiculed for it but here it is."

Doesn't seem like the ridicule would stop with Bruce. The unenthusiastic response by this board speaks volumes. To me it seems like another card show attended by auction houses (and in this case sponsored by one) and grading companies.

From the conference website - "In addition to facilitating intimate interaction between collector and collectible source, the PCCE will bring collectible leaders together to enhance the perception of the industry. Most experts agree that the collectibles industry, like most industries, has some negative aspects and a few less than reputable players. But because of the industry's explosive growth, the indiscretions of the few have had a tendency to overshadow the many positive developments overall. The PCCE will function as a quasi think tank hosted by an elite group of collectible leaders on the forefront of the industry's evolution who are actively committed to promoting its new professionalism, integrity and business acumen."

Considering that quite a few of the less than reputable players will be attending, it will be interesting to see what comes out of this elitist lovefest.

I still feel this board is a clear voice and sanctuary for the average collector, where price is not always a consideration. Of course if you can afford it, and want the best, that is fine. However, even though money talks, I don't think the top % of collectors and buyers/investors in this hobby/business, can outweigh the remaining people in the hobby.

Three more thoughts:
1)REA once again stands head and shoulders above the rest by not attending. Although I am passing judgment on it prior to the conference even beginning, I would think that Rob thought long and hard before deciding not to attend, or was not invited at all. Either way, the conference loses credibility by him not being there.

2)Will the MEARS/auction houses audit requirement be addressed? Seems like a key issue. Since the only company that signed on (REA) will not be attending, I wonder if this will be discussed at all.

3) Where are the card companies? You have dealers, auction houses, grading companies, authentication companies, publishers, etc. I would think the card companies could contribute something.