NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default White Plains Show.

Posted By: Scott S

I'm thinking about taking a 4 hour road trip to attend the White Plains sports card show this weekend. I was just wondering if anyone has attended this show before? I'm looking for pre-war material and was wondering if you think it will be worth the trip. Thank you for the help, Scott

Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

I question taking the 20 minute drive I take once or twice a year. 4 hours, not recommended.

More to the point, not a lot of vintage dealers and usually overpriced.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I would certainly not recommend making a 4 hour trip if you are only interested in vintage material...and it depresses me, because I am only 45 minutes away and it's the only show near me all year long...

Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and I go every few months they have it. It has maybe 6-10 tables with T206 cards, which is all I go for. Sometimes the assortment is very good, sometimes not. The prices are a little on the high side.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

just a few tables worth looking at in the whole show.

I am about an hour or so away... and I don't think it is worth the trip for me.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Sadly, the White Plains shows have been awful for years now, even before the internet and Gloria Rothstein's giving up the show--first to her son, then to another promoter. I live minutes away and seldom go---every so often I try it again and am reminded of what a waste of time it is...

Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

we would know from the Board?
I would assume those vintage folks that show up are regulars...?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

...guy I know by name, who has surfaced on here once or twice, is Chet Woods. He is usually (but not always) there. I have gotten some of my best recent T206 card purchases from him in White Plains over the past 12 months or so. He had acquired a huge collection about a year and a half ago, and I picked at it regularly over the ensuing months. I don't think he was there in January, and in Novemeber his stock had been quite depleted. But there are a few guys there with stacks of T206 cards -- many of which are SGC graded, which I love and collect. So, again, it's a 10 minute drive for me and makes a lot of sense to stop by. I am only disappointed that SGC will not be accepting submissions there this time around and I don't know if I will be able to make it to Hofstra in April.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

sounds like there may be just enough there to satisfy the appetite...see a bunch of cards I can't even afford to hold...but maybe pick up a SGC50 Cubbie common or 2...

Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

...to pick up an SGC 50 Cubbie common is quite likely, I would say. But you may pay a little bit more than ebay for it. There are a few SGC graded T206 dealers there peddling low-, mid-grade T206 cards, so if that's your fancy, I suspect it would be worth it. I'm going to try to find a few upgrades for my SGC A's and 10's. I'll probably spend under $200.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott S

Thank you all for your input. I had a feeling it was going to be a wasted trip. I'm not much for T206's ,pretty much a caramel and type card collector. I'm going to head your warnings and stay home and watch March madness! Thank you again, Scott

Old 03-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

I am going to try to get myself and my son to the show on Sunday morning, and I was wondering if anyone here will be set up so I can make sure to find you?

Old 03-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

...at least two dealers with great caramel card selections. But that still may not be worth the trip for you.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Attended the White Plains show yesterday. Not much in rare vintage cards but did come across one dealer (I don't know his name or any other information about him) with a "unique" 1909 Shoeless Joe Jackson postcard graded "Authentic" by SGC and asking a huge price (I believe around $7,500) and the same dealer had an early real photo postcard (not authenticated) of Babe Ruth which he stated was circa 1916 (I don't know how he pinned down the year) for just under $4,000. Needless to say, these two were too rich for my blood but it was nice to see something at White Plains that I would seriously consider buying if the price was a little bit more in my range.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Any 'local' collector should check-out this show from time to time..It will suprise on occasion..Park across the street on the Diner side to save some cash, its safe..Some of the regular dealers are good guys and will discuss prices..No show is what it 'use to be' and anything unique will come at a high premium..But go! Some of the regulars are very engaging..

Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

He's into the figurines and likes opening boxes and filling pages (he's 5)...you say not much vintage...any T206?

I'll find out soon!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

not too bad!
Had enough vintage stuff to whet the appetite, and was able to make a small pickup of something I needed (a T206 Overall-Hand Face Level in SGC40 for only $40 - strong color, but rough corners)

and my son was able to add to his colleciton of Starting Lineup figures...so something for everyone...

Anyone else have any notes...?

Edited to add:
1)I was very disappointed to find out that SGC cancelled...I had a handful of cards I wanted to submit...
2) I suffered some sticker shock at the tagged prices on some of the dealer tables for the 1950s-60s stuff...I didn't try to negotiate, but I would say that if I was interested, I would have had to start megotiating with openers of 50% discounts!!