NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Paul Thompson photographer

Posted By: Frank Ceresi

I am doing some research on Paul Thompson and his photography as it appears on the T-205's and other issues as well. Does anyone have any information about when, why or how so many Thompson photos ended up being used on the T-205's? Also, what other issues (tobacco or candy cards) did Thompson photos appear on?

Any information on this interesting nexus is greatly appreciated.

Frank Ceresi

Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

Hi Frank. Hope all is well with you.

You have given me a chance to showcase our new Article Index feature on the Old Cardboard website (just added this morning). If you select "article index" from the icon on the Old Cardboard home page, it will take you to the index. Type in "thompson" in the Search Word text block and hit "Refresh." You will be taken to a link to the full article from the Old Cardboard eNewsletter featuring photos of the hands of Mordicai Brown and Christy Mathewson--both taken by Paul Thompson. Interesting photos even if they were not used in the T205 set!

Good luck with your Thompson research.

Lyman

Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Thanks for the link. I've never seen Brown's hand that close up before. The ball must have danced on its way to the plate.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen those Paul Thompson photos in the mastro auction, and they are fascinating. Any idea what makes Christy's hand so dark in that photograph? Is it just exposure, or does he have some sort of rosin on his hand?

I always liked how the E96 Brown shows the stump of his finger well in the follow through. Anyway, great stuff!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I read Thompson ran a photo service, and the photos usually were not by him personally. I'm no Thompson expert, and that's just what I read. I do know that the famous Bain News Service used photos both by its owner George Grantham Bain and photos by others. You can find photos with either the "Bain News Service" or "George Grantham Bain" stamp on back, with his personal name perhaps indicating those he shot himself. I don't believe either Bain stamp is worth more than the other, so it's not a pressing issue for the collector concerned about value. Any revelation about Thompson being vintage distributer instead of photographer doesn't mean a change to their rarity of valuation. UP and AP wirephotos often have good value when no one has a clue who were the photographers.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Here is one of Ed Cicotte that I have. Sorry for the large size scans but I enlarged the back because it is tough to see. The sticker is from Christie's and states it is an original baseball magazine photo. Question to Cycleback(or anyone else)...does the spot on his forehead mean this was a later reproduction or is it just a flaw in the photo process?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Here are scans of my 2 Ira Thomas photos by Paul Thompson:

Patrick

Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

His name appears on a couple of cards in the D381 Fleischmann/Ferguson Bakery set. There are about 2-4 cards that have his name instead of Underwood & Underwood which appear on the rest. I can't remember all of the cards his name was on. I do believe that Wilbur Cooper was one Though. I am interested in learning a bit more about him also.