NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Default delete- (rambling thoughts thread)......have at it.....

Posted By: bigfish

delete

edited title to make current thread more specifically titled...ed.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I disagree. I do not see any reason why this file should be deleted. There does not appear to have been any rules broken. At worst, it could be locked.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think I know what this was about and if it is what i think it was, I was letting it fly, personally. I guess one of the other moderators thought it was crossing the line on selling on the front page.....close call imo.....regards

Old 07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

I deleted this after thinking this could be crossing the line. Leon, you and I talked about this before so I deleted my question myself. No big deal. I am not selling the card that I was looking for information about.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator

So then, this thread is available for anyone to use? Good. I will claim it. I need a place to come and mutter, grumble, muse and (I'll try not to) kick the spitoon.

Even Superman needed a Fortress of Solitude!

I am willing to share this space for free. But I have no plans to seceed from the union of the other threads, and declare this one a soverign entity.

However, a reinterpretation of the rules of engagement may be evaluated. But that is not the intent. So, here goes my first musing:

I recently purchased my first two Fan Craze cards (thanks Leon). I had thought they were small. but they barely fit into 9 - pocket ring binder pages. I don't much like game cards, because on most the game indication overwhelms the player portrayal. But not on these (and some others). Actually, one of the cards, McGraw, had no indication of game play. How can that be? What would be the point of a game card which only shows a player?

No answer required, simply a wonderment.

Again, feel free to come and muse (or whatever) as you may wish. But one of the rules is posts do not have to follow the subject matter posted previously, but they can.

Or is this approach prohibited?

Also, only one occupant at a time. As in "....... of solitude".

Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Administrator

And what is with these e-cards which it seems that everyone wants? In general, the artwork and design of these cards are of lower quality than the corresponding t-cards; although not as much so as the notorious strip cards.
Yet the demand for these cards remains strong.

Is this a buying opportunity for t-cards? What is next on the agenda for collector focus? Perhaps non-Goudey vintage r-cards.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Speaking for myself, the bright colors, scarcity and smaller set sizes are all pluses for e-cards.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i agree tbob...and the unique poses poses don't hurt either.

pete in mn

Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

E-cards rock!
T-cards rock!
W-cards rock!
N-cards rock!
M-cards rock!
etc, etc, etc

Old 07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcDaniels

more questions?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator

You in a hurry?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Well tbob, when I think about your rationale for collecting e-cards, it makes a lot of sense. Id like to expand upon it to see if I get it.

Small sets! Yes, something achievable in a reasonable time interval. And the reward of completion.

Rarity! Hmmm, somewhat double edged. Although it keeps the value of the completed set clearly worth its assembly, it makes the actual acquisition of each card more difficult. This plays somewhat against one of the values of the small set, making achievement more difficult. But if balanced right, it optimizes the overall package.

Pretty colors! Well the backgrounds are colorful, in an almost eerie unrealistic extraterrestrial cacophony. Clearly this does not offset, in my opinion, the comparative lack in artistic quality of this group of e-cards. However, some sets are available in multiple solid color backgrounds. Choosing to collect a set of all the same background color would be striking, I believe. Opting for multiple sets (of the same set) differing only by background color would be awesome. Quite an attractive and costly option, which I believe you have underway.

And all: if you are collecting these sets, please do not take my words to heart. After all, what do I know? And on a good day, I can’t afford to collect almost any of them, without giving up something which I want more (like paying my bills). Although I will be buying more CJs, because I have to – but only the red ones.

And this brings us to a rule of engagement: Not everything said in this thread is necessarily as thought out nor as thoughtful as it could be. Please do not take offense at these potential errors in judgement. We are sorry, and we are careless, and we are men (that is, unless we are not).

Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Locking a B/S/T ? Ha! Now that is hilarious!
Boy, that Dorskind guy sure knows how to rub people the wrong way.
But really what has he done?
He has said that his original plan was to acquire high quality cards preferentially, because he thought that they had the best upside. It appears that he has been doing this. Maybe even the best heeled of us occasionally has cash flow considerations. So, can I forgive not buying quality cards when offered? Well , yes. Can I accept that he is not a good communicator? Who am I to judge? Well I respond to inquiries. The "blowing people off" stuff was my kids generation, but I showed them that it hurt them to employ that approach. Maybe he doesn't know that yet - and maybe y'all just explained that to him. And yeah, his "we" and "you can e-mail me directly" stuff is really more silly than actually annoying.
It sounds to me like he has been in this hobby for some time, perhaps he has experiences, contacts, information, cards and other stuff which could be enjoyable or instructive. I vote "let him play". Am I alone?
This community persists because of our ability to tolerate each other in an environment fraught with the starkness of everything typed. The potential for misunderstanding is tremendous. I have no vested nor other interest in this guy. Continuing to accept his participation appears to be in keeping with our unspoken policy of accepting almost anyone who wishes to contribute. Go ahead, hang me!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I too bought one of Leon's cards... and I'm oh so happy with the card, the easy transaction, wonderful wonderful.

If the card won't fit in the 9 pocket sheets, you could try a 6 or 4 pocket sheet, or cut the card down to fit. How often do we find E90-1s or E98 cards trimmed down. I have a trimmed W512 card. And some E120s that were clipped a bit.

I'm happy with my card just as it is. But if a card is too big, it could be trimmed down to suit. It isn't the same as soaking a card to stretch it out so you have big margins.

Clip, clip.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Well Frank,

I agree that most cards with white borders will look better without them, and that the function of the border is to protect the picture area from damage. What I don't understand is why a card is graded harshly just because the border has served its function.

To me, not cutting the border off is a testament to the card's history. Perhaps a part of its provenance for all to see: "this card was not ferreted away from the others, it is a trooper"! I don't think that I would want to lose that badge of honor simply because I am too lazy to buy the proper size binder page.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

therefore I am.......

Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I am happiest when I put butterscotch pudding in my pants.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Doctor Freud, Dr. Sigmund Freud:

Please pick up the white courtesy telephone in the Grand Concourse.

Dr. Freud, please pick up the white telephone, now.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

This is a fascinating thread. It's garnered all these responses without an identifiable topic. Kind of stream of consciousness. We can talk about anything we want here...hmm, can't think of anything to say...we had a tornado here in Westchester yesterday, knocked over a building and lots of trees... that's it, I'm tapped out.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Administrator

How come we have tornados on the east coast now? The Global Warming believers take credit for anything unusual, and I hate to put one more piece of misinformation in their war bonnet.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I must say we are getting more and more extreme and unusual weather these days. Global warming? Certainly seems plausible to me.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Is it me, or has the board been extremely quiet lately? Not many posts, no chat, etc.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

How can we know so little about some of these cards when we are only a generation or two removed from having living people around that were alive when they were issued?

How do we know a blank backed card like V61 is Nielson's, but there are three or four caramel sets that are officially named "Anonymous"? Not talking very limited sets like the Herp's find, but cards that were obviously in widespread distribution. You mean in 100 years not one person ever turned to their parent, or grandparent, and said 'Hey - where did you guys get these things? What kind of candy?'.

Or do we know what candy these were with? I would think if we did they would be named or referred to as such, as the Willard's and Nielson's are.

I like this thread for both card related and non card related pondering and musings.

Joann

Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Coins and stamps being Government issued, have documentation of circulation strikes and mintages. And both have been collected from their outset.

The baseball card hobby only really began when the first annual price guide was issued. So much information was lost. But that the information is not easily recoverable seems strange to me.

Id normally say ... many have tried, and failed. But evidence that actual trying has not occured is everywhere. Wasn't it only a year or so ago that one of us noted that the Boston uniform on Caruthers in the N28 set establishes that the set was produced a year later than was thought. His presentation of this insight was along the lines of "please tell me that I am not the first to notice this ..."

Perhaps there is plenty of room for some investigative work still left in the hobby.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Gil- I think you mean Clarkson, but you are correct that that was the card which established the date.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

global warming debate. We're having a cooler than normal summer this year after a warmer than normal winter. I think overall I agree that there is global warming although I'm not sure if I believe it's all based on human consumption, fuels, aerosols, etc, etc. Numbers can be manipulated to suit whatever the goal is.......

I agree on some of Joann's concerns about more details on the cards. I think Burdick spent SO much time just cataloging everything from tobacco to candy to coffee to every kind of postcard, etc.....that he didn't really have time to detail more of the info on individual sets that we're all working so diligently on now. That said, obviously much of the research now is driven based on the value of some of the cards. In the 1930's and 1940's, it would have been easier to document info about 1910's cards but because they were really just in the infancy of creating an area of collecting, it wasn't so important to them.

As someone said earlier, the coin and stamp realms were well documented and developed back into the mid-to-late 19th century with published and documented details.

Interesting discussion........

Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Tom- I know we aren't supposed to talk about political issues so Leon is free to axe this as and when he pleases. I don't think a slightly cooler summer is an indication that global warming isn't a problem. Melting polar ice caps and very intense hurricanes, as well as all the pollutants in the air, are matters that should be of great concern to everyone. It saddens me that many people still think this is all about liberals spouting off and not a real issue. In time everyone will come around but I guess things aren't catastrophic enough yet. When they reach that point, the issue will be taken more seriously (Hi Leon, did I go too far?)

Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

since when did weather become "political?" C'mon now.

To echo Tbob, e-cards are great becaue of their color, poses, and small set size which makes obtaining a full set not as draining as others.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

No, the weather isn't political. If it's raining out we all agree. Global warming unfortunately is.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

oooh, a free for all thread.

Darren posted that M cards rock. I'm with you, but my predication is to the Supplements, Sporting News and Police Gazette's especially.

I know they're not compact, aren't easily stored, but i think they're tremendously under-valued for their relative scarcity, especially condition wise. Global warming doesn't help any due to the higher humidity levels.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Yes Barry, thank you for refreshing my memory on which of those guys (I always confuse the names) was cited in the n28 set date identification.

But regarding the global warming hypothesis, I do not see this as political at all. It is solely scientific. As such, statements including "You can not deny that the average temperature is higher than it was 3-400 years ago. And you really can't contend that it is a coincidence that the industrial revolution occured during this period." Are fraught with hype.

Because if the temerature is the highest its been in the last several hundred years, then it follows that 3-400 years ago it was this high. And this is the observation of much of the scientific community. Specifically, conclusions can not be drawn based on hundreds of years of data for application to a system (this planet) which has typical temperature variation in much greater cycles. So, a 400 year variance is perhaps one data point among many which has to be assessed in order to estimate a trend.

Yes, ice melts. Primarilly in the warmer season. It always has. It freezes too. But is it time to buy up property in Chicago, because it is sure to be ocean front anytime soon? That may be premature.

Global warming is a theory which if true could have significant consequence. As such, the media will play it up because it impacts ratings and sales. But if you think beyond the hype, I believe that the conclusion will be reached that no conclusion can be reached.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Why is it political? Because some people in the media say so? Science is science, politics is politics.
Don't fall into that trap.

To keep it on vintage cardboard:
I have only seek a Kotton tobacco Ty Cobb. Are there other cards with Kotton backs?

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Yes Gil- empirically, global warming is factual. It is political when I hear people blame Al Gore for writing a book and making a movie about it. On some level it does become a Republican/Democrat issue. And whether you care if the ice caps are melting or not, well it may not affect me living in Brooklyn. But every time I take a breath it does affect me ( I know, Brooklyn is a big congested city, move to the country). And my folks live in southern Florida and the hurricanes keep getting worse each year and I worry about them.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I was just wondering, loudly..........

I started a thread a little while ago which also asked the question of what is known of the origins of collecting sportscards, and was really very surprised how little seems to be understood of the times and issues.

So, I'm wondering, loudly, and repeatedly............

Would it be possible, through some nationally syndicated medium such as the USA today newsapaper, or internet site such as Yahoo, to have them run an "interest" column that asks readers to email with stories relating to the early history of things..like...sportscards?
I'm sure they could come up with other interest areas and it could be a daily or weekly quest, and all the stories gathered and passed on to the specific forums who have the time and will to cipher through them and flesh out the respective histories.

Probably not doable, but who thinks it a good idea?

Old 07-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Controlled botanical studies have shown that as the carbon dioxide levels are increased, pine trees increase their growth by up to 1/3rd. So, as tailpipe emissions affect Brooklynites, trees are contributing in the fight by producing extra growth = more oxygen and less CO2.

This planet knows how to take care of itself. Its designer thought everything out quite well. We survived much greater catastrophies than industrialization.

Edited to add:

Who is Al Gore?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

You remember Al Gore- he's the guy who won the presidency in 2000 (just had to get that in).

Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I kind of like the rambling thread theory. I wonder if we could make it go over 300 posts? As for global warming I would NOT call that a political debate. I would call it a fact....We have an extreme drought going on in N.Texas and are nearing record 100+ degree temperatures everyday...and then in Houston it's flooding...go figure. Say pretty much whatever you want to in this thread....but no personal attacks please....

edited statement to mirror my thought

Old 07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I was wondering where you were. I thought you went to the beach and left your computer home. And thanks for keeping this thread going- I promise to behave.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

I got back from the beach 2 days ago and posted on the board that evening...as a few folks were looking for me....regards.....

Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Oh, Dangling Chad's real name is Al?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I heard you were away, but the beach must have been 200 degrees. And dangling chad-what a cool term. You can have a lot of fun with that one...such as "Hey Johnny, your chad is dangling" or something like that.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Forecasters warned that parts of eastern Massachusetts could receive 30 inches of snow by late Sunday, and up to 3 inches an hour could fall in some places. A blizzard warning was in effect for eastern New York and western New

Old 07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

An inch of snow would feel awfully good right now. The humidity is about 90%.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PStratton

He did invent the internet. Without Al Gore we wouldn't be talking about old baseball cards. Is a "hanging chad" a variation or just a freak printing error? What would a "hanging chad" grade? Do they come with both red and blue backgrounds? I've only seen them with the blue myself.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Touche. By the way, did Al Gore really invent the internet? Don't you have to be kind of a techno-geek to do that? He may have been one of the first to promote it, but was he really the inventor? He's a smart guy, but maybe not quite that smart. Would have made a good president though. Too bad.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Enright, Daniel

As an ozzie boy who has lived abroad in countries other than the US of A, and travelled reasonably extensively in life, you yanks just mystify me.
It's strange that in pretty much the rest of the entire world, where learnedness and faith are AT LEAST as evolved as the best America has to offer, science is treated with equal reverence as faith. So why not here?
Gil muddles on about pine trees - how much of the USA is now forrested compared to 150 years ago? Has each pine tree grown correspondingly taller to reach some mile and a half in height to make up for shortfall?
As drinking water becomes a commodity to be bought in supermarkets, and oceans rise, isn't there something strangely absurd about arguing if it was worse or as bad in previous history.....Ummm, we didn't have billions of people living in jiiinormous cities at ocean level in centuries past, waiting to be swept away by the next big storm!! As ozone fails to replenish itself and people die in extraordinary numbers from melanoma cancer each year, should we debate the effects of aerosols, methane, and industry induced fossil fuel burning that have changed the way we, and our kids have to live? Where I come from in Australia we have the highest rates of melonoma in the world - because of a giant hole in the ozone that stretches above our continent.

It's insane. Even the pope, and the vatican, warn not to mix belief/faith/religion with science. But here, in the US, it's some sort of strange game to argue with the truth as though each individual - regardless of intelect and knowledge in the area of expertise - can claim equal 'rightness' on the issue.
Here's a story that's personal to illustrate.
I married into a wonderful family who have lived in parts of Kansas - Greensburg and Manhattan primarily - for a hundred years.
My father-in-law worked as an Ag. lobbyist for 30 years, is both bright and educated and intensely devoted to his Christian beliefs. His wife is also a beautiful woman spiritually and generous of soul.
So one christmas the larger family is united and a boyfriend of my wife's sister starts talking about the age of the earth, that it can't be what science says because.............He READ, from Christian scientists, that when Armstrong and co. landed on the moon, the moon dust was only 1 foot deep (or some such number), and that "regular" scientists had predicted an entirely different estimate to correspond with the age of the universe, and were thus proved wrong.
And he said it in a way that suggested atheist scientists were involved in a plot, thrust onto the american people, and how great was it that christian scientists could show us the truth........that the moon also was only some 5 thousand years old.
And the whole room nodded in agreement. And my mouth dropped open, and my face almost shot off the top of my shoulders, and I started raving about what idiocy they were spreading, and they were all just standing there looking at me, and, well.............
That's when I knew that this country was different.
That somehow the America of the 40's and 50's, where people from all parts of the continent looked aspirationally for smart - not smarts, for people of intellect and sophistication to role model (see cary grant, katherine hepburn, audrey hepburn, ec..) - not scorn and denegrate society's icon's and somehow make them out to be agents of evil. Now it seems that ruralizing american society, and knowledge base, is the fastest way to moral certification. Science and knowledge be damned!

Well, the country terrifies me.
School standards mortify me.
Spelling, grammar, just to be passingly adjusted for, has me wondering if America knows where it's next great authors, and scientists, and leaders with real greatness are going to appear from?

So, debate global warming? Go ahead. You are the last generation who will be able to do so intelligibly and are rapidly abandoning your futures to work-ethic-only inspired development. Definitely not the clever country.

And this is very clearly a political position in this country.
And very very quickly, becoming a cultural one.

Sincerely
Daniel

edited for purposes of clarifying it was my wifes' sisters' boyfriend, and I was not allowing my wife a boyfriend on the side!!

Old 07-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

The internet wasn't invented. It was always there. Al Gore simply discovered it. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to teach Floridians how to count. But Bush was against education.

Edited to add:

Do your homework, well travelled, learned colleague. The lumber industry with all of the media inspired clear cutting and destruction of old growth forests hype, has not had a sufficiently negative impact on the stand of trees in our land as has the positive impact of our brave forest firemen in curtailing the spread of these natural destructive (and creative) infernos. You see? 150 years ago we couldn't stop a forest fire. They all were left to burn out. Now we deliberately burn selective forests to optimize their health.

We have more trees now than ever before. And our forests are managed. There is more wisdom here than meets the eye of a casual observer. Or maybe Im wrong.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Well done Daniel. Now we're cooking. I agree with everything you said. This is a country that fears Darwin's evolution theories and wants schools to balance their lessons by including the bible as another possible explanation for how the planet evolved. That tells you an awful lot right there. I guess if Adam and Eve were the first inhabitants of earth then Abner Doubleday did invent baseball (see, I got us back topic).

Old 07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

So Al Gore was kind of the DeSoto of the internet. But somebody had to invent it. Wasn't software and hardware invented? To add, Bush isn't against education for America's youth; he just has an aversion to educating himself.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Barry, I was kidding. Gore always was what he is today. He didn't invent anything of value, nor has he discovered anything of note.

And as far as Intelligent Design vs. Evolution: they can peacefully co-exist. One does not have to exclude the other.