NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-19-2023, 07:05 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Erik, I guess this means yours is worth about five grand!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33471001053...M65YQ&LH_BIN=1
Old 01-19-2023, 08:17 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Erik, I guess this means yours is worth about five grand!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33471001053...M65YQ&LH_BIN=1
Even if the seller removed two zeros off his price, that would be a very tough sell. Yuck.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:41 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Even if the seller removed two zeros off his price, that would be a very tough sell. Yuck.
I gave Erik a heads up about this last night. The seller expressed interest in buying one in nicer condition. But alas, I've detected that Erik remains committed to his mission of becoming a California Angels super collector.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:11 PM
Marc

I think I was the main beneficiary of Keith's recent pennant find. Here are three of my favorites. The Keezer mini needed some repair, but I think I got it good enough for the wall using my 3rd grade craft skills. It's also kind of crazy how different the color of the Astros pennant looks depending on the lighting I used for the pic (sun vs. overhead lights).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NY Giants champs oranger.jpg (96.7 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg NY Giants champs lighter.jpg (92.9 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg Astros Keezer Mini repaired.jpg (59.7 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Astros Keezer mini original.jpg (74.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Astros Keezer mini repair.jpg (85.1 KB, 265 views)
Old 01-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Gary

That's a nice repair job. Clearly you were better at arts and crafts in 3rd grade, then I am now. :-)

How did you do the patching?
Old 01-20-2023, 01:49 PM
Marc

I put the new felt under the pennant, traced the hole shape with a pencil and then cut out the piece. Then had to tweak and adjust to get it to more or less fit. Then I glued it in place with fabritac glue. I wouldn't normally buy a pennant with such a hole, but it is rare and who knows when I'll get a chance to get a nice one.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:51 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
I'm not a pennant guy, but I really like this Sox pennant. What can you guys tell me about it? Authentic or repro? It's getting a lot of attention on ebay.
Did anyone here get the pennant? It went for a pretty strong price.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Not me but I was sure pleased to see it.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:30 AM
Mike Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
That went for a lot more than I expected. Some of you might want to reevaluate the value of your collections

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 01-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I think I was the main beneficiary of Keith's recent pennant find. Here are three of my favorites. The Keezer mini needed some repair, but I think I got it good enough for the wall using my 3rd grade craft skills. It's also kind of crazy how different the color of the Astros pennant looks depending on the lighting I used for the pic (sun vs. overhead lights).
Good job. I’ve found those patches will usually stay in play without any glue or tape, especially if the pennant is in a sleeve….even a soft sleeve.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:15 PM

Speaking of that $3,900 sale last night, I can’t imagine that the seller would have done better with an auctioneer. With the buyer’s premium etc, it would have required the winner paying over $5K to bring the same reward.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:56 PM
Gary

Quote:
Speaking of that $3,900 sale last night, I can’t imagine that the seller would have done better with an auctioneer. With the buyer’s premium etc, it would have required the winner paying over $5K to bring the same reward.
I agree. My guess is the seller didn't really know what he had a can't believe his luck. The listing title wasn't very good and the listing only included about $5 shipping.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Speaking of the (dreaded) “buyer’s premium,” I’ve always been unclear on how that works…..let’s say the pennant does do $5000 at an AH and the BP is 14%….buyer pays $5700. I always assumed the BP went to the AH and the consignor took the bid amount. No?
Old 01-21-2023, 05:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Speaking of the (dreaded) “buyer’s premium,” I’ve always been unclear on how that works…..let’s say the pennant does do $5000 at an AH and the BP is 14%….buyer pays $5700. I always assumed the BP went to the AH and the consignor took the bid amount. No?
At the most generic level, yeah kind of. There's also a fee that comes out of the sale price that goes to the AH. Never consigned with one, but the experts will tell you it's all negotiable and the better your items the more leverage you have. I will say, an AH with a 14% BP would be quite the find. Most are 20% plus.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:43 PM
Rob

I like the buyer’s premium about as much as I like third party grading services.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
I like the buyer’s premium about as much as I like third party grading services.
It's always a fun topic. There are AH groupies on Net54 that will defend the 20% BP to the death.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:05 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
It's always a fun topic. There are AH groupies on Net54 that will defend the 20% BP to the death.
It's bullshit. IMO, the buyer ought to pay what he/she bid and the AH should tell the consignor their cut.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:54 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Making close to 40% for every lower end item and at least 20% for every upper tier item is a pretty good scam. Some auction companies are good people and really work for it and try to get you (and them) top dollar, but most just act like they’re too cool for school and wait to fleece the sheep. They act like they’re doing you a favor selling the item. Auction companies ruined the show market and to me, along with grading, ruined the fun of the hobby.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:30 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I gave Erik a heads up about this last night. The seller expressed interest in buying one in nicer condition. But alas, I've detected that Erik remains committed to his mission of becoming a California Angels super collector.

Haha - investing in FTX seems to be a better investment than Angels pennants

Although, I’m interested in what this gentleman will actually get for his.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:40 PM
Erik

Quote:

Good pickups and patchwork, Marc! Looks really nice!
Old 01-22-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Haha - investing in FTX seems to be a better investment than Angels pennants

Although, I’m interested in what this gentleman will actually get for his.
Put aside resale value, this mid/late 60s Angels is one of the most beautiful pennants Trench ever made for any team, IMO. The artwork just screams 1960s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51F3AB08-394E-4651-BB1E-3D840CADF473.jpg (250.2 KB, 288 views)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:24 PM
Erik

Quote:
Put aside resale value, this mid/late 60s Angels is one of the most beautiful pennants Trench ever made for any team, IMO. The artwork just screams 1960s.

I do love that period artwork. This particular pennant/logo always reminds me of growing up in the early 80’s as my folks took me and my brother from campground to campground - thanks Good Sam Camping Club… probably why I wanted to sell most of my Angels pennants tbh
Old 01-23-2023, 08:16 AM
Rob

Quote:
Damn, Greg! That baby is minty mint! Like most of your stuff.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Damn, Greg! That baby is minty mint! Like most of your stuff.
I forget where I got it but, yeah, the original owner kept it stored in an atlas or something. I still have the pennants I owned as a 6-7 year old and they look almost shredded from years of being moved around and torn off walls …
Old 01-25-2023, 07:58 AM
Marc

I know these pennants are rather new for this forum (and it may be too much football all at once), but I thought some of you may find them interesting. I won the Ronnie Lott on ebay last week. I collect 49ers pennants, but never even knew that this existed. I had seen the Montana before in a collection, but never for sale. I did a bunch of searching through worthpoint and came up with the following examples. All seem to be very, very rare, with each having, at most, two sales. They all say "1982 NFL Properties" on them.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any of these, if there are other players, etc.

I've also wondered if the 1982 strike somehow kept them off the market.

I also want Kyle to decide that he needs to figure out who made them and how they were sold. NFL properties did have catalogs and I have seen a sale for a 1982 catalog, but can't find one to look through.

I know that Kyle already posted about the player pennants from later in 90s. Those are common. These are something different.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:42 AM
Rob

The Ronnie Lott font screams “1980’s!” I’m thinking REO Speedwagon or Journey.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
I know these pennants are rather new for this forum (and it may be too much football all at once), but I thought some of you may find them interesting. I won the Ronnie Lott on ebay last week. I collect 49ers pennants, but never even knew that this existed. I had seen the Montana before in a collection, but never for sale. I did a bunch of searching through worthpoint and came up with the following examples. All seem to be very, very rare, with each having, at most, two sales. They all say "1982 NFL Properties" on them.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any of these, if there are other players, etc.

I've also wondered if the 1982 strike somehow kept them off the market.

I also want Kyle to decide that he needs to figure out who made them and how they were sold. NFL properties did have catalogs and I have seen a sale for a 1982 catalog, but can't find one to look through.

I know that Kyle already posted about the player pennants from later in 90s. Those are common. These are something different.

Coincidentally, I had the 1982 catalog Mark referenced but they aren't included anywhere within the 159 page book.

I'm probably the only other person here interested enough to notice but there are subtle design differences in these pennants that make me wonder if these were maybe prototypes or samples. They are so rare they couldn't have been widely marketed.

Joe Ferguson and Harvey Martin seem like odd choices for a pennant series when there's no evidence of a Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Lawrence Taylor, Dan Fouts or any other bigger star of the early 80s.

The Too Tall and Harvey Martin each sold for over $130 in 2010, so somebody recognized their rarity.

Lastly, how bleak has eBay become that I'm this intrigued by 1980s pennants? I guess the vintage needle is moving for me.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:29 PM
Rob

I’ve had three people contact me about the 1954 NY Giants pennant on ebay. It’s a fantasy and not a repro of anything that actually exists. The seller dropped the opening bid from $525 to $200, so I think he knows but isn’t disclaiming.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I’ve had three people contact me about the 1954 NY Giants pennant on ebay. It’s a fantasy and not a repro of anything that actually exists. The seller dropped the opening bid from $525 to $200, so I think he knows but isn’t disclaiming.
Yeah it’s a Mitchell and Ness circa 1998. I owned this when I first started collecting and bought a pile of these from their Philly store when they had one of their 50% off Super Bowl weekend sales. It actually looks like minor damage was intentionally inflicted on it to look old. The graphics on these don’t chip or crack but it kinda looks like it.

I don’t know of a vintage pennant with any text or date on the spine (besides the grommet pennants which have a fake spine).
Old 01-25-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
And yeah, he knows. I told him and linked to a Huggins auction that said so.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Yeah it’s a Mitchell and Ness circa 1998. I owned this when I first started collecting and bought a pile of these from their Philly store when they had one of their 50% off Super Bowl weekend sales. It actually looks like minor damage was intentionally inflicted on it to look old. The graphics on these don’t chip or crack but it kinda looks like it.
Yeah, mine is pristine. There are honest ebay sellers who just don’t know what they have and then there are scammers…
Old 01-26-2023, 08:36 PM

Here’s a harder to detect repro.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36412409806...ZS-YQ&LH_BIN=1
Old 01-27-2023, 08:12 AM
Rob

Quote:
Repro or fantasy?
Old 01-27-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Repro or fantasy?
Repro. The white and blue versions were made of cloth, orange was softer felt. This is stiffer paper-felt and the MLB trademark looks odd.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:15 PM

Speaking of repros I grabbed these the other day because they were very cheap (even by repro standards). These are cool designs IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC8071F6-4976-4B01-B166-E61142A846A7.jpg (212.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 01-28-2023, 12:23 PM

Default BF3 premiums

Those are all repros of 1936-7 BF3 felt premiums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombie1.jpg (209.1 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-29-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
Those are all repros of 1936-7 BF3 felt premiums
Cool collection! I don’t have as many but I like them a lot including this KC Blues pennant. It may be a different series but the feel and construction is identical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9728FCA1-4789-4F79-8A65-244BF9B81015.jpg (248.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 01-30-2023, 10:15 AM

Unsolicited Pennant Life Hack:

If you display in rigid holders, trim them to fit the pennant.

As you know, many from the 40s and 50s are only 26” or 27” long. Notable the “sliding runner” company pennants. They always look weird in the bigger holder and they are also hard to keep centered. So get them in as deep as possible, then cut off the empty 3” or so off the side end. You need a file to cut through the edges but the plastic part cuts like butter with a guillotine paper cutter. They fit perfectly as the dimensions are almost a perfect proportional match to the holder.

I do the same with the 3/4 sizes which are roughly 8” by 26”, although you need to cut off an edge and close with invisible tape (best to use is gift wrapping tape).
Old 01-31-2023, 08:30 PM

Default Interesting eBay experience

Couple months ago: eBay seller had a cool pennant for auction with a “make offer” option. I saw it early, made offer, he accepted, paid immediately. Sale confirmed.

A half hour later, sale cancelled.

Exact same pennant now being auctioned. Starting bid of $0.99. Pictured on a round white table.

Last edited by thetahat; 01-31-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
I just noticed the clown seller is calling it a “scroll pennant.” All it’s missing is a scroll.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I just noticed the clown seller is calling it a “scroll pennant.” All it’s missing is a scroll.
His earlier response to me, after proving its origin to him:

“Read this listing it is 100% accurate. I have over $100,00 of t-206 to 1956 Topps PSA cards. And autograph of Baseball legends. I know the collection industry. Enough said.”

Last edited by thetahat; 01-31-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

What a joke. Anyone with a brain can tell in a split second that the "1954 Giants Pennant" is a fake. And there's a bid on it, no less.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Couple months ago: eBay seller had a cool pennant for auction with a “make offer” option. I saw it early, made offer, he accepted, paid immediately. Sale confirmed.

Exact same pennant now being auctioned. Starting bid of $0.99. Pictured on a round white table.
Shocker (about the round white table). If you want to disclose which one it is, I'll be sure not to bid on it.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Shocker (about the round white table). If you want to disclose which one it is, I'll be sure not to bid on it.
I’ll reach out, though it shouldn’t keep you from bidding. For the record, I think the obvious “modus operandi” of buying to flip is fine. But if a completed sale was meddled with … that’s not quite fine. There are worse selling tactics but still, this seems to cross a line of it is what it seems.

Last edited by thetahat; 01-31-2023 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:46 AM
Rob

Quote:
His earlier response to me, after proving its origin to him:

“Read this listing it is 100% accurate. I have over $100,00 of t-206 to 1956 Topps PSA cards. And autograph of Baseball legends. I know the collection industry. Enough said.”
He’s a jerk. Enough said.

In the old days of ebay, we’d be able to reach out to the buyer who’s about to get duped.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:25 AM
Rob

Quote:

Any chance you could get it cheaper than your original offer?

Or will you not deal with the new seller?
Old 02-01-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Any chance you could get it cheaper than your original offer?

Or will you not deal with the new seller?
Nah my guess is he offered more than I did after the fact knowing he will still turn a profit from the flip. I’m not gonna bother bidding. eBay should have firm policies regarding third parties meddling with completed sales, if in fact that’s what happened (as it appears).
Old 02-01-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
He’s a jerk. Enough said.

In the old days of ebay, we’d be able to reach out to the buyer who’s about to get duped.
If you look closely at the pennant, there are minor flaws that don’t seem natural. Those pennants don’t crack or chip.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:53 PM

Somebody posted this as a 1915 Red Sox pennant. I'm a card guy, not a pennant guy. Can anybody help with this one?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atawolfe View Post
Somebody posted this as a 1915 Red Sox pennant. I'm a card guy, not a pennant guy. Can anybody help with this one?
If it is 10” by 30” then it *might* be a Detroit Free Press Red Sox pennant from the time, as they made city-only pennants for the A.L. teams. I think these pennants have two-colored tassels, also this pennant doesn’t seem to size up. Otherwise it’s pure speculation as far as year and team/sport.

Last edited by thetahat; 02-01-2023 at 04:31 PM.