NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Curt

Default Mel Ott Religious Card ID Assistance?

I found a small lot of completely unrelated baseball items on ebay while doing my daily Steve Garvey search and this Mel Ott postcard sized item was included which really caught my eye. The lot was not listed for long and had a cheap BIN price, so I went for it. It is not in perfect shape, but it just might be worth the price of the lot.

It is about the size of a postcard and has a slightly glossy surface with blue type. On the back, it appears that Blue construction paper was used, but it doesn't seem like this was glued on. If it was, the person did a fantastic job. I don't want to try to peel from a corner or edge just to find out. It may just be originally how this card came.

Is anyone familiar with this item? If so, can you tell me the approximate time frame or range it might have been available or made/issued? If it was some sort of Sunday School/church promo type item, it could have been used for several years I suppose. He managed from 1942-1948, so it seems reasonable that it could be from this time period, but I just don't know.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 PM

It's an ink blotter from the 1940s I believe. I picked one up fairly recently as well. Probably not too much value wise, but a neat item.

Mike
Old 10-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Curt

Thank you. Ink Blotter sure opened up the results in a search, where post card didn't do much. Helps to know what you have.

Looks like mine was pasted into a scrapbook and done well. I'll just leave it as is. Not bad considering the lot was $10.

http://www.b-lauctions.com/site/bid/...sp?itemid=5176
Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ink blotter cards

I consider ink blotters as cards and think they are fun to collect. As the description in our auction said, there are different players and different kinds of testimonial cards like that.....Here is one like the one shown with a neat Lutheran stamp on it and a different one altogether.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Curt

So, is that blue backing on mine original? As I read more about these last night, it said they were made with an absorbent type of paper on back to pick up excess ink. It would seem that the glossy front side of the card would not be very absorbent, but the softer blue paper on back certainly would. Seeing your Siebert leads me to believe that is how it may have come.

Other than a narrow indentation (I don't want to call it a crease, as the surface paper is not broken) that runs along the length of the card and the normal rounding and softness of the corners through age, it seems like it's in pretty good condition. No ink blotting on the back.

I'm glad I hit the BIN button on the lot.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my thought

I have seen many different ink blotters with different type backs. It is consistent with the intent of an ink blotter to have an absorbent back and a coated front, so the ink wouldn't bleed through to the picture. Many times they bled through anyway. A large percentage have the blue coated back....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1930sinkblotterbluevalley.jpg (76.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg phunc1920sinkblottergeneralexterminating.jpg (74.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Default 1951 Ohio Loan Cleveland Indians Schedule Ink Blotter

I'll be darned...I had no idea that ink blotters shared this blue backside detail in common. Mine is a 1951 ink blotter for "Ohio Loan," and includes the Cleveland Indians home schedule for the season. A little newer than the ones posted, but construction and style appears consistent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Ohio Loan Cleveland Indians Schedule Ink Blotter.jpg (75.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Daryl

Leon, I remember when you posted the Mel Ott blotter before. I didn't know that you had more than one from the "set". How many different players are there? I'm very interested in these, as it brings together two important parts of my life.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM

This reminds me... Ya know, I have a Mickey Mantle Pamphlet that's similar to the Mel Ott one that you posted... I'll try to dig it up and post a scan of it!

Been meaning to ask if any our members ever seen one before?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Leon, I remember when you posted the Mel Ott blotter before. I didn't know that you had more than one from the "set". How many different players are there? I'm very interested in these, as it brings together two important parts of my life.
I don't know if there are more from the set. I never even put 2 and 2 together before I posted those, to see they are from the same set. I suspect there are others but don't recall seeing them. I have seen several of the Mel Ott ones so I assume they are the most common.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Sean Brennan

saw this today at lunch. nice to see others that appreciate old players.