NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default If I ever go to get my cards graded..........................

Posted By: Eric Angyal

If I ever get my cards graded and I want people to bid on them with confidence on e-bay, I will absolutely not get them graded by SCD Authentic. Take a look at those T-206s that Mintexpress is currently auctioning. I have never seen so many overgraded cards in my life. Tell me how a card with what appears to be major paper loss on the front can get a grade of vg/ex? Looks like a subsidiary of PRO or NASA has sprung up here......

Eric

Old 04-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

what auctions are you looking at becuase mintexpress doesn't have anything up for auction.

Jay

Old 04-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Look under "Mintxpress" as the seller. They are the ones auctioning off the big "find".

Eric

Old 04-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Yes, these are from the "find".

Personally, I "find" many of them to be trimmed, if not overgraded.

I don't understand the big deal with this new group of cards. They are from an easy to find set and condition wise they aren't the cream of the crop.

Should they be worth more just because SCD wrote a article bout them?

Old 04-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I don't understand the furor either excpet for the fact the there was a Magie found and that they are generally crease free. Other than that, they aren't remarkable in and of themselves. They just happened to be have been found in an old trunk that had not been thuroughly search in decades. Now if there had been a bunch of Firesides, Four Base Hits, or some other rare issues, then it truly would have been a special find.

Jay

Old 04-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

I agree with Pete,
Unless the second wave of cards from the "find" are more impressive, I would say SCD has severly over hyped alot of vg/ ex cards. If this constitutes a major find, than the 130 pristine T206's I found at a Flea market must be the greatest find in history. While I didn't find the cards in a box in the basement or a trunk in the attic, an 80 year old widow with a card table at the Metrolina flea market must come pretty close. Too bad I was only 14 years old and could only afford 34-36 cards. Out of that batch 26 are graded 6 or better( 6 8'S 8 7'S) with 7 cards receiving a 5, the remaining cards were returned evidence of trimming. They have since been resubmitted and received 2 6's and a 7. I'm sure the veteran collectors and dealers on this board have similiar stories which would constitute a real find.
Do you think Kit Young is amazing a vg find of his own? be well brian

Old 04-22-2002, 09:09 PM
Administrator

How serious can we take SCD Authentic as a grading company given the grades that they have assigned to many of these cards?

Eric

Old 04-22-2002, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

for one thing, it seems like SCD is grading virtually no vintage material. while people aiming to get 10s on their ichiro RCs may be willing to take a shot on every new company, vintage dealers & collectors are more concerned with the validity of the authentication & grade, which is why PSA and SGC are basically the end of the story (and many of us, as has been discussed here, are skeptical of some of their decisions).

and yes, SCD is blowing their big chance with this find. maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if PSA or SGC got a group like this with the surrounding hype, they'd be MORE exacting. The message would be that if virtually untouched cards can be 2s and 3s, your 7s (untouched or not) are really worth something.

jeff

Old 04-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I'll be honest with you guys. After reading all the fuss, I went over to eBay to check out the cards. I thought that the images provided were not quality enough to make judgement of grade, and, unless you guys have better eyes than I (which is possible, I wear glasses), I don't know how you can assertain the grade of these cards. Perhaps some of you guys have had other bad experience with SCD Authentic, but to me the MintXPress auctions offered me little evidence one way or the other.

Old 04-23-2002, 06:59 AM
Administrator

David,

You may not have looked at all of the auctions, but some that are graded as vg/ex have portions of the card (including text) missing from the fronts. It pretty obvious since it usually occurs in the player/team name area.

Eric

Old 04-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I didn't look at all the cards, and if that's the case I will go along with your arguments.

Old 04-23-2002, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I've had non-collectors ask me if I saw the news article about the huge "t206 find", and I've told them that from what I can tell, there's nothing special about it, for the same reasons mentioned by others in this thread. Most of us have been involved in bigger finds than this.

The SGC-graded HOF'ers I'm currently auctioning mostly came from a large find that featured many copies of each card, and most in vgex or better condition (according to SGC!). For instance, I picked up five Matty black caps and four Chance yellow portraits from the "find". There were also some nice variations such as the Smith I'm currently auctioning and the Elberfield Washington portrait in EX+ (that a friend got to before me). In addition, as far as I can tell (they've been picked through by others before getting to me), most were nice Old Mill backs.

Old 04-23-2002, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

Hey Scott
Any southern leaguers in the group? I'm interested in the Smith and will be bidding a little later. Just curious what region the cards were found in? I've always been interested in the distribution of t206 brands and the areas which they are most commonly found. thanks brian

Old 04-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I only saw a group of HOF'ers and variations that were culled from the group - the guy grabbed players he had heard of, and "Southern League" didn't mean anything to him. From what I can tell, though, it was only Piedmonts and Old Mills.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Don't tell that to Larry Fritsch!