NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Default Truly undergraded or trimmed?

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I don't chime in on the PSA bashing threads because of what momma always told me...

However I do take note and because of PSA's reputation, cards like this one really scare the crap out of me..

http://tinyurl.com/5r68o2

If it were truly undergraded, why doesn't the seller simply crack and resubmit it or send to SGC. 

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

it could be neither. It could be fairly graded and not trimmed.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Of course it could be valid and likely is.  I just get spooked when I see such cards. I wonder how much of a ding PSA sellers get because of this poor rep, especially in the pre-war market.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Could have a small wrinkle.

Steve

Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I think Steve is probably right. In my experience, cards graded EX 5 that appear sharp enough at arm's length for a higher grade have some small flaw that is difficult to detect, such as a small wrinkle or bit of paper loss. As the seller points out, the centering isn't bad enough, in and of itself, to preclude a NM rating. Seeing a larger scan of the card might help.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...one has to consider with a scan such as this is how bright the scan is. The Cobb is a bit washed out because of the brightness of the scan. This kind of scan will usually hide imperfections. For example, a scan that is too bright might hide a wrinkle since the way most of us can see a wrinkle is because of how the light reflects over the surface of the card -- the reflection is broken up by the wrinkle. A really bright scan would conceal that, as well as other flaws like toning and staining and paper loss.

When I buy mine online, I prefer my PSA 5/SGC 60s to have a bit of visible corner wear because I prefer that to the sharp cornered cards with minor wrinkles.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com to see signed pre-war card galleries, articles, my blog, my collection and more!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

A lot of the sellers giving away undergraded cards have Chrematophobia. If they submit the card for the upgrade it will only make their problem worse.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Hard to tell from the scan, but nothing problematic immediately jumps out at me. I agree with Eric. If the corners are as sharp as they seem, there is probably some other minor imperfection.
JimB