NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 PM
JeR@Me

Default How do you manage your excess Flips ?

I have just gathered all my flips, and I plan on returning them to PSA and SGC so they can purge from Pop reports. While we all know pop reports are not entirely accurate, I do feel they are important as you can easily see trends on certain types, players, etc. For this reason, I am returning these flips to the grading companies. What do you do with your excess flips ? Do you even care ?

1. Toss them ?
2. Keep them ?
3. Return them to Grading Company ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlipsPSA&SGC.jpg (73.5 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 08-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Chris

What do you do? Just sell them raw?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
JeR@Me

Default Well...

Well, Chris since you asked a question in response to my posted question, I will play along!

This scan represents a tiny spattering of my collection in which most are raw and some are graded. These flips have been in a box for a several years, and all along, I thought I would return them. I am a collector. I sell when I upgrade, change my collecting theme, or to help a fellow collector out.

Chris - What do you do with your excess Flips ?

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 08-28-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:05 PM
D.B. Cooper

I cut up the flips and use the letters in my ransom demand notes. But that's just me.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 PM

well here's a related question -- what do the third-party grading companies even do when notified that their holster has been cracked/opened (either to keep as raw or even when crossing over to be graded by another company)? do they reduce their population reports? ie, are the population reports intended to be accurate for currently, or for historically (ie, "we've only ever seen x number of such-and-such card at such-and-such grade")?

I haven't personally cracked open any TPG holsters, partly cause I like having them encased, both for protection/storage and also in case I ever wish to trade/sell. But I've been considering crossing over some to keep my cards in one company, and have been wondering how they handle the population reports with regard to crossover grading. Cause if they don't adjust, then I would just be "adding" more cards at a certain grade, thus possibly diluting their worth unnecessarily.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Frank Wakefield

I used to throw them away... but now, most of the time I save them. I look at them once in a while, especially after reading something where folks have total trust in TPG and total faith in the pop reports. I do not sent them in to the TPGers.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM
JeR@Me

Default TPG's & Flips

Shaun - I have sent in a few flips to PSA and they do reduce or change the Pop report by simply taking the Cert #, and remove it once they have the flip in hand. I confirmed this by looking at the pop before and after I sent in the flip. (Contact C/S before sending) I am about to do the same with SGC. My thoughts on this are I would probably not bother returning flips on a 63 Rose, but a T210 Series 8, I think makes sense since there are less than 10 of each player graded by all TPG combined. Yes, dilution is what I am trying to avoid, b/c I own the cards behind the flips.

Frank - as mentioned, the Pop reports are just a guide, but do tell a story. Take the T210-8 Joe Jackson for example. You take the pop from SGC and PSA on the Joe's, and you surmize how many might be out there in raw form, and possibly a very few undiscovered and you can draw conclusion that there are probably less than 20 Joe's in existence. This would correlate to the T210-8's that I collect, b/c my guess is there would possilby be either less or about the same amount of the Nashville players I collect. This has proven to be accurate as most Joe's have been graded and sold or at least graded and kept and we have an accurate guide of what Joe's are worth. Essentially, I can get a real feel for how many examples may be out there in what I collect. Can a person do this for everything they collect. Probably not, but for scarce to rare stuff, it can be invaluable from a stand point of understanding just how rare the card may be...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I would actually like a set of T206 flips if possible. If anyone has some they would like to get rid of please let me know.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
I would actually like a set of T206 flips if possible. If anyone has some they would like to get rid of please let me know.

I don't have any, but that's a great idea for a collection!! I wonder what a Wagner flip would go for these days?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Alan U

I keep my flips because I keep everything, worthless or not, looking forward to see what they say when I'm profiled on the show "hoarders"
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Jason

Default I send them in for grading

to the opposite company from that which issued the flip. So all PSa flips go to SGC and vice versa. I keep only the Mint slabbed flips, and sell the rest.

honestly, I toss them. but I have only cracked maybe 5-10 cards in my life...over the past 7 years since I returned to collecting.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I used to throw them away... but now, most of the time I save them. I look at them once in a while, especially after reading something where folks have total trust in TPG and total faith in the pop reports. I do not sent them in to the TPGers.
Frank, now that's not very neighborly of you. Some might describe you as a taker and not a giver with that attitude. And that is not good at all.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hello there, Neighbor Jeff...

Thanks for leaving your post up. So what should I do with them? I'd have thought un-neighborly would have been not 'fessin' up that I was bustin' 'em out.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Matt Hall

It would be nice to have a set of flips on registry. Then you can show your friends your flip set, while they roll their eyes at you.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

nm
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Thrown them all away.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Thrown them all away.

Same here. IMO the population report is already largely irrelevant and beyond repair, mostly.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Jeremy (and others who have sent in their flips),

I would like to return my flips also. However, do you think there would be any bias for doing this? For example, if I sent the flips with my PSA submission, do you think PSA would grade my cards lower than they deserve? Similar for SGC. That is what concerns me in that if I had a submission for 5 cards, but sent in 200 flips also, the TPG might get annoyed.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Jeremy (and others who have sent in their flips),

I would like to return my flips also. However, do you think there would be any bias for doing this? For example, if I sent the flips with my PSA submission, do you think PSA would grade my cards lower than they deserve? Similar for SGC. That is what concerns me in that if I had a submission for 5 cards, but sent in 200 flips also, the TPG might get annoyed.
If this is a concern for you, just make it a non-issue by mailing them separately. You don't even need to put a return address if you want anonymity. What are we talking, like $3 shipping?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

BTW, once I crack a slab, I put the card in a top loader and put the flip in the top loader behind the card to keep the two together. I believe keeping the flip probably adds legitimacy if I ever want to sell the card.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Clayton

What if you just kept the flips, but made a scan of them and mailed the TPG the scan of all the flips?

Clayton
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
What if you just kept the flips, but made a scan of them and mailed the TPG the scan of all the flips?

Clayton
I don’t think the grading companies would go for that w/o having the actual flips in hand.

Imagine this scenario: There are two individuals competing for the same set in the registry. One of the individuals steals images of his competitor’s cards, prints the images and cuts out the flips. Then the individual mails the flips to the TPG with a letter that says “please delete.” That could be a bad situation.

That may sound kind of ridiculous, but some of those registry guys can be pretty cutthroat from what I’ve heard.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Clayton

Great point David, I hadn't thought of that.

I guess I was just thinking more along the lines that if I had all of these flips I would sort of want to keep them, maybe in case I was ever to sell the card I could send it along with the card, but still have the TPG's adjust their pop reports.

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Paul

Default I don't have...

...any issue with busting out the cards from their holders. Heck, population reports are only a useful as a general guide to relative scarcity, and not the end-all-be-all of card provenance. But if you are ever going to upgrade those cards and sell them as dupes, you are leaving potentially significant money on the table by busting them out.

I have a nice raw T206 set going, with over 300 examples, and a few of them are slabbed. It's awfully tempting to bust the slabs open to keep the entire set looking consistent and raw, but every time I think of doing it, I think of all the money I am literally throwing away and can't bring myself to do it.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 08-31-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I guess I was just thinking more along the lines that if I had all of these flips I would sort of want to keep them, maybe in case I was ever to sell the card I could send it along with the card, but still have the TPG's adjust their pop reports.
If you still have the card then there is no issue of having duplicates in the population reports after you crack it out.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
David M.

I think you should bust out the card and mail the card to the TPG and keep the flip. More people collect the plastic holders than collect the cards.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Marty Pritchard

I keep my flips and turn them in every so often. I make sure that I do this timely when I have cards that have very low total pops when I crack and send to a different TPG. I did talk to a representitive of one of them and I was told that PSA and SGC do not communicate with each other when they do crossovers. I asked because I knew of a very high profile card that was crossed.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 AM
JeR@Me

Gary - I don't think there is any bias at all. These operations are too busy, and these guys in the industry understand there are multiple reasons why someone cracks the slabs.

Clayton - Customer Service has to receive the flips in hand before pop reports get purged. (Also, I recommend getting a person at Customer Service to mail them to someone who will take responsibility. At SGC, I send them to Michael, the C/S Mgr, and at PSA, I send them to a C/S Rep, Laura, who is very helpful)

I like part of my collection raw, and the other part of it in slabs. Heck, I just sent in 35 cards to get graded by SGC, so for me it is some of both.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys -

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 09-01-2010 at 07:33 AM.