NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Casey

Default DiMaggio Authentic? Christmas

Last try before Christmas. Authentic?

A bit pricey, but I like the HOF induction. Comes with Beckett BAS.

It looks nice and bold, but I can't tell. Appreciate your opinions!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181212-085900.jpg (9.0 KB, 228 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
Last try before Christmas. Authentic?

A bit pricey, but I like the HOF induction. Comes with Beckett BAS.

It looks nice and bold, but I can't tell. Appreciate your opinions!!!
You can zoom in by pinching the photo.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Looks a little off to me. Doesn't seem to have his smooth usual flow, but I'm no expert.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think you might be wearing everyone out with all of your questions. Maybe you should just study autographs for a while so you can know them yourself. And then you can make your own informed decisions.
I realize in this day and age of instantaneous information it is easy to just ask for help all of the time, instead of doing the work and learning, but that is not usually the best way to collect. I will go out on a limb and say you are probably younger than 30 yrs old? It seems our younger generation always wants instant gratification.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Casey

Hi Leon. I realize I am wearing out my welcome. I am 56 and been collecting for 25 years. Over 100 baseballs. 50 in person. I have a Jackie Robinson I did ok with, but a Ty Cobb that I got burnt on. I am a detail guy and have studied signatures for years, but I obviously have trouble with DiMaggio. Because I look for detail, I seem to miss the "big picture" flow of the autographs. Of the 100 (including 500 HR and 300 win), I have only missed 4 (per PSA years after I got them). The 4 are DiMagio, Mantle, Williams and Maddux. I was in FL in the early 90s when Mantle died and there were so many fakes (and before operation bullpen pen). I guess what I am trying to convey is that I have studied theses 3 autos and always get them wrong. I was happy to find this forum to help me (it did - my DiMaggio, Mantle and Williams balls i have had for 25 years were ruled bad). So, i am not a newbie, but was thrilled to find this forum to help me with the big 3 i got wrong all these years. You guys helped me get a good Mantle and Williams. Obviously I am having trouble with DiMaggio. So, that is sorta my story. I will back off now, and use TPAs. (Although ironically this one has a Beckett TPA, but seems iffy on the forum so far). No hard feelings I hope, and the help has been much appreciated. You guys are super. Many thanks, Casey
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Casey

Quote:
Hi Leon. I realize I am wearing out my welcome. I am 56 and been collecting for 25 years. Over 100 baseballs. 50 in person. I have a Jackie Robinson I did ok with, but a Ty Cobb that I got burnt on. I am a detail guy and have studied signatures for years, but I obviously have trouble with DiMaggio. Because I look for detail, I seem to miss the "big picture" flow of the autographs. Of the 100 (including 500 HR and 300 win), I have only missed 4 (per PSA years after I got them). The 4 are DiMagio, Mantle, Williams and Maddux. I was in FL in the early 90s when Mantle died and there were so many fakes (and before operation bullpen pen). I guess what I am trying to convey is that I have studied theses 3 autos and always get them wrong. I was happy to find this forum to help me (it did - my DiMaggio, Mantle and Williams balls i have had for 25 years were ruled bad). So, i am not a newbie, but was thrilled to find this forum to help me with the big 3 i got wrong all these years. You guys helped me get a good Mantle and Williams. Obviously I am having trouble with DiMaggio. So, that is sorta my story. I will back off now, and use TPAs. (Although ironically this one has a Beckett TPA, but seems iffy on the forum so far). No hard feelings I hope, and the help has been much appreciated. You guys are super. Many thanks, Casey
Oh. As for Maddux. I actually met him after a spring training game at his peak with the Braves. He signed all the sweet pretty girls things, but passed right by an old man like me. Part of the hobby...
Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Ok then , you are only a year younger than I am, my apologies. No harm or foul, it just seemed like I was watching a younger person because of how I see them act. I am poor at some things too and also ask questions.
This forum has a lot of good members that are ready to help out fellow collectors. Carry on and good luck in the quest!!

Quote:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Belltown Vintage

I don't see why youth would matter. there are plenty of younger collectors who would help the forum avoid getting mired down by placing all their related requests in a single thread. But the old guys do figure it out quicker.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The only reason I thought he was younger is because of the rapid amount of questions being asked in a short amount of time. Young collectors are great and great for the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I don't see why youth would matter. there are plenty of younger collectors who would help the forum avoid getting mired down by placing all their related requests in a single thread. But the old guys do figure it out quicker.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I'm 36 and what I recommend you try is to add some value and discussion to the forum prior to jumping right in asking 10 opinions a week.

There are a ton of great folks here and some of the smartest memorabilia experts I know and if you add value, you will get incredible value in return.

Just my 2 cents.
- James Graham
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Chuck Tapia

That's just another horrible forgery, IMHO.

Not that you need my advice, but as I looked at FU-bay yesterday for Joe Dimaggio photos, I noticed that 99 of 100 of the photos are just easy to spot fakes. I could not believe the ratio. It is sickening. You have a better chance of winning a game of pick-up sticks with your ass cheeks as you do of finding a legitimate Dimaggio over there.

It is much worse that i ever imagined it would get. Just pathetic really. What's more pathetic is that minions run to that site when they protect and empower forgers of everything all over the continent. I'm so glad I quit those M effers with their horrible Philippine call center. Screw e-bay PERIOD. That's my advice. I wouldn't buy a paperclip from them
Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I'm 36 and what I recommend you try is to add some value and discussion to the forum prior to jumping right in asking 10 opinions a week.

There are a ton of great folks here and some of the smartest memorabilia experts I know and if you add value, you will get incredible value in return.

Just my 2 cents.
- James Graham
Wow James - I've been dealing with you for years and always assumed you were around my age.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:55 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Wow James - I've been dealing with you for years and always assumed you were around my age.
Haha...You're in your mid 20's right?
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 12-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:29 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Case,
As a suggestion, perhaps you could just put a post on Net54 of what you are looking for. Many of the members here may have exactly what you need. I would say the vast majority of times, the prices are cheaper than eBay and I think the proportion of fake shere is waaaaaaaaaaay better than you will find on eBay. That is not to say, everyone here is perfect, but I do think we do a better job vetting fakes than most places.

Edit: I personally have a few things signed by Dimaggio available for sale or trade. Unfortunately none of them are of the single signed variety

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-12-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Kevin

Not Loving that Joe d either. BAS or not, I’d steer clear
Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
You have a better chance of winning a game of pick-up sticks with your ass cheeks as you do of finding a legitimate Dimaggio over there.
Thank you, Chuck for a badly needed laugh today.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Casey

Hi all. Me again with my DiMaggio quest. As suggested, a NET54 member is offering this beauty to me. He mentioned he got it from DavesResaleShop in FS. He was ok with me posting for your opinions. I suppose this would be an early signature? If I get thumbs up, I will go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jdcut3.jpg (62.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Michael I.

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!! But wait for the true Dimaggio gods!!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Kevin

That DiMaggio is good
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe