NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default Hundreds of pre-1930 cards on Ebay

Posted By: Mike Snyder

How does www.707sportscards.com do it???

THere must be 500 cards posted with no bids. Doesnt this cost him a fortune, not selling cards like this? Posting fees must be enormous!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

He lists them on like the ten cent listing days. All he has to do is sell a couple cards for way more than they are worth to make up for it...which he does.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

it is a monthly fee as opposed to a per listing fee.

not sure though.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

think of all the time it takes to list that many lots! software can only do so much of the work, right?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Has to be all software sorry to say because between 707 and Keppler they have almost 20,000 ilstings of over priced cards.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Brian,

I would think that after you put your listing on a file one time, all you need to do would be save the file for future use. The only modification they probably make in the future is to increase (or decrease) the price.

Peter

Old 05-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Scanning that many cards would be one tough job too... must have some sort of feeder or third party bulk scanning service.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

"Over-priced cards" is putting it mildly.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

And if they sell a card or two, it has paid for itself...

But who among us hasn't paid way too much for a particular card. I have, for certain. If it is a card that I'm really after that is seldom seen, then the prices that guides and sites suggest are meaningless.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

We all have. But I'm amazed that some of these businesses stay in business, profiting from the occasional, whimsical spontaniety of some of us- especially when they list 36 of the same card.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the thing that really is amazing about these listings is why not at least have a "BEST OFFER". i would think a "seller "would like to "sell" a few items? imagine to see all your listings out there with no bids!logically you'd have to figure,gee maybe i'm overpricing this stuff? also if you are a buyer and see all this guys listings w/no bids it does not make you feel good about actually buying something.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Reiss

The bigger question is "How does everyone else deal with wading through it all?" I can't wait until they all end.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys and Gals(Joann and Julie),
I have bought and sold hundreds of cards with Levi and never had a problem. His prices may be a little higher than the market, but he always has the key cards from each set in stock. Some dealers like the quick turn and some wait for the larger return, but that doesn't make one better than the other. Be well Brian

Old 05-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

In tracking for the site we ignore those sellers so that it does not get infested with auctions that never sell and people don't want to see. So searching for the cards by player or set is a lot easier.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

I dont mind high prices for tough or key cards, but his prices are 5 times what a common 33 goudey sells for..he want $400 for a common that sells for $80 - 100 on auction. its just rediculous.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

If Ebay wants to implement a real good policy, on bargain listing days, limit each account to 10-20 listings. Eliminate all the clutter while still promoting business.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Limiting each account to 10-20 items would be a ridiculous idea. Levi sold over 500 cards this week during the special. Not only did eBay get 17,000 insertion fees, but they got final value fees on $55,000 worth of cards. There are even some deals to be had from Levi. How about the card that was $75 in his store last week but sold for $250 when five people got into a bidding war. Or the $250 hockey card that you could've had last week but it jumped to $610 during bidding.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

I find his starting bids insulting. I guess he knows what he's doing.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

I'd like to know how that seller comes up with those prices...

Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator

I would say he looks at recent sales...and adds 35% or so...just like some of the ridicilious prices you see at card shows.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

because sometimes browsing Levi's pages can be hard to stomach, but having said that, I recognize that most of my problem is my own jealousies -of his inventory, and as well as his luxury of patience in turnover...I have only dealt with him once, and he was a pleasure...got a couple of cards for me that I had been looking for for about 15 years! I paid up and I got the goods.

cheers,
Jason L

edited to add: there's nothing wrong with testing the market to see what it will bear...and it has been bearing alot more than I would have expected lately....so these strategies are looking pretty smart in this environment!
After all, a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That doesn't have to resemble a price guide (or most recent sales, for that matter)at all - as we are seeing!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Dave,

The prices at shows are more forgiveable. Some of the dealers are doing shows on a part-time basis, they may not know the prices. Or alternatively they are collectors at heart and really don't want to part with their cards.

Peter

Old 05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I can't imagine any dealer not knowing current market values for cards...after all if they are dealers that is their career we are talking about..not a side hobby.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

I think that one fails the market test when their inventory shows up week after week after week at the same starting bid. This is not to say that they are ALL unreasonably priced- but I think with some of these sellers, the majority of their stuff simply doesn't move at the prices demanded.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Snyder

I looked through many of the cards on Ebay as well as the ones on his site.
He did have many cards that I desired in the grade desired, but they were grossly off-center.

I agree, the prices were ridiculous. I saw few buyers and, at that, they were for the lower priced cards.

The prices would be more in line if the cards were of better quality.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Ole Levi at 707. I can remember at the Atlanta National when I was interested in a 5K card. I asked him what is the best price he could do on it and he said "what is the price on the back" I said 5K and he said, "that would be the price then" as he was putting it back into the case. I think he was stereo typing me as I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I have never seen him before until that moment... All I can say to Levi is Buh bye..

Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

What is the tee-shirt and shorts stereotype? Isn't that how everyone dresses at shows? More importantly, how should one dress to get a serious price from 707?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Mike,

Here's a story on how the hobby has changed. I was at a small Holiday Inn card show recently. I saw a well-centered 1959 Topps Bob Gibson Rookie sitting at a dealer's table which was apparently underpriced.

I didn't want to take advantage of the dealer so I told him that it was difficult to find well-centered Bob Gibson rookie cards and perhaps his price was too low. After a little thought the dealer agreed with me, then I asked him how much he wanted for the card, at this point the dealer told me he didn't want to sell me the card. Not only that but he wanted to continue displaying the card in his case.

This just proves to you the truth in the old adage, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Peter

Old 05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

"I can't imagine any dealer not knowing current market values for cards...after all if they are dealers that is their career we are talking about..not a side hobby."

That is an interesting statement. The current market value for post-1948 cards is pretty easy to determine, just check out prices realized on ebay.

However, it is not that easy when it comes to pre-war cards or high grade cards that don't change hands often. I don't know that there has ever been a time in the hobby when trying to determine the current market value of items like that has ever been harder. That is one of the main reasons that people use the auction format when selling. Prices are all over the place (but typically higher that one might think and not lower). They same applies to all areas of Sports Memorabilia.

As a dealer I have always found that the best thing to do is just mark it up a bit, sell it, and move on to the next piece.

Scott

Old 05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Sorry to differ here..but I must. I hardly think today's climate makes for it being that difficult for dealers to see what current prices are for pre-war cards...instead, much easier. Dealers either know the current values....or for some reason all seem to get lucky as heck marking things up just above current values.

It's also just as easy for any dealer to subscribe to one of the pay services....much easier and quicker than trying to look up things in out of date old price guides.

Edited to say..when your talking about items that don't come up that often...how many dealers are currently trying to sell E107's? Most of what they have is exchanged through transaction enough it is rather easy to tell price values IMO.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dave- I have to agree with Scott here. I sell vintage cards full time and it is very hard to keep up with prices in such a volatile market. That's why I auction just about everything- the market knows the value better than I do. Sure, I can distinguish a rare card from a relatively common one, but coming up with an exact price can be tough.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Barry...but most dealers aren't selling E107's or Just So Tobacco's....I would just have to think when they are selling T206's...they certainly know the ballparks that these cards are going for...

It's funny to me if a dealer says they can't keep up with current values...they tend to always list things way above current value...seems every once in a blue moon they would miss on one and have one for sale for under....if they do I certainly don't ever see those...

Old 05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

I know the general value of most cards, and certainly know which ones are tougher than others. But sets seem to get hot overnight and it's hard to keep up.

Today I was writing up some lots for my next auction and one of them was a T206 Miller Huggins with an upside down back! Now how in the world could I tell you what the added premium will be because the back was inverted? I have no idea. I suppose, as you say, the guy who sets up at every show selling more or less the same things would know the market pretty well, but the vintage market is so diverse with so many rare cards and obscure variations that it just isn't always that easy.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

I totally agree on a case such as a Huggins with an upside down back...as well as any of the rare cards...would be impossible to pinpoint prices for any of that.

However someone like Levi...he isn't exactly selling anything rare that I've seen and he knows what the cards are really worth. Obviously though they are worth whatever someone will pay for them...so if he sells one out of a hundred that way...good for him.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

"Dave,

The prices at shows are more forgiveable. Some of the dealers are doing shows on a part-time basis, they may not know the prices. Or alternatively they are collectors at heart and really don't want to part with their cards.

Peter"

One other thing Peter...if a guy is really a collector at heart and doesn't wnat to part with his cards than what in the world is he doing paying for a table at a card show?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

I'm not really grouping you in with a Levi obviously. You run clean auctions...what he does is far from that...and I don't mean that to say he isn't honest...he may be...he just has his head a little higher in the clouds. More than likely the PSA 5 T206 Jimmy Collins with a regular Piedmont back that he tries selling for $525 is a card that he purchased himself for $200.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Good question...I've had the same experience, without doing the good deed Peter did. I've seen many dealers put out "their" cards that are not for sale and only bother to tell you then after you ask how much they want. Or- they'll say that they're not inclined to sell it, unless you make them a "ridiculous offer." Whatever.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

It seems obvious to me that Levi needs to charge more than other sellers because he has more into his cards. How else can he hope to recoup the 10+ insertion fees he's incurred on many or most of his 17,000 cards?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

More than likely the PSA 5 T206 Jimmy Collins with a regular Piedmont back that he tries selling for $525 is a card that he purchased himself for $200.

Dave, not trying to be argumentative, but what is so wrong about that? I say, get as much as you can!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I don't know Levi personally but there is nothing unethical about asking too much for an item; the buyer can always pass.

When I have something for sale I like to sell it, period. That's why I start my ebay and catalog auctions with very low opening bids and let it roll. 95% of the time I am more than pleased (an occasional disappointment will pop up for sure). The business model Levi uses wouldn't work for me. I couldn't imagine pricing things so high that virtually nothing sold. That baffles me, but I guess he has a reason for doing it. He's been selling cards for a long time, so I assume he makes enough to justify it.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

To say a dealer knows the prices/values of all esoteric cards in the pre-war category is, to say the least, not realistic. Sure a T206 common in vg is probably easy to give a close approximation. But take any of the more obscure stuff and forget about it...ya never know. I can't say how many times I have been surprised at how much something has sold for in the last few years. I feel like I follow the market for obscure stuff almost as much as anyone and I still don't have a clue half the times. On the Levi 707 subject I would say I have done 10 deals with him...never paid full price but usually close...and he has always been very pleasant. No excuse for being rude and I am not making one for him if he was. I know I have been rude before but try not to be too often. On the subject of bringing cards to shows that aren't for sale I used to bring part of my collection to the National for show and tell. I had numerous people tell me they really appreciated me doing it and loved seeing them. After the first year I made little sign saying they weren't for sale. Before that Scott B wasn't too happy with me.... .....Everyone would ask him how much for so and so....only for him to tell them they weren't for sale. That must have been sort of a downer but I did rectify it at future Nationals. Now I don't do it so I can drink more beer and not think about having the liability of having them with me...regards

Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Leon- in your case you were bringing your collection to show so it's pefectly reasonable to say "not for sale."

But for Levi isn't that his business? He has to sell material to make a living. Pricing it at the level he does is hard to figure. And who would want the same inventory show after show, sale after sale? I guess to each his own.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I don't at all disagree with get as much as you can. Sounds great to me...I try to do it myself on my limited budget I have for cards. I do think though someone like Levi who may put 15,000+ cards on ebay would probably do a little better if he even went down to 10% over what the cards go for. He's a big time dealer..reputable, and I think would have alot more sales that way. I would agree with a prior statement about "why wouldn't he at least but a space for best offers along with his BIN's...but I guess the time it would take to go through best offers for that many cards is just unrealistic unless he has a 15-20 man staff.

Leon...I'd be curious to know when most of your deals with Levi went through...were most prior to your time as the moderator here or afterwards? My own experience I've never got him down in price at all....would just be curious if being the moderator of something with alot of pull like this board would sway him to bend his own rules a little with you?

Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I guess it is all a waiting game for Levi....you know what he has and the price he wants for it. And every show and 3 months on eBay you get to see the same card again and again that you need. So eventually a few people cave in and give him what he wants for the card.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

I'm sure Levi's not hurting. If he's in a cash crunch, he can just liquidate any one of his ten 52 Topps Mantles and survive another day.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Apparently it works for him, but you have to be able to tie up an incredible amount of money. I need more of a cash flow.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Most people in my reality do...

Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Levi might not even know about the board or that I am the moderator. I have rented cases from him, with Scott, at the last several Nationals so that might play into it. I have done deals long before I began moderating and also since I have. Like I say it wasn't a lot but usually about 10%....At the last National I made a deal on a Gasslers bread card right when Ted G walked up to buy it....I really don't think he thinks of anything except business when doing deals....as most business people should. I have always had a good rapport with him so that might help too. I know I will sometimes make a better deal for someone that is nice over someone that is an arce....regards

Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

A price break from Levi isn't unheard of. I've called on cards from his site, offered to send a MO or check, and received 5-10% off...higher end of the range if multiple cards were involved.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

A discount of 10%. So if Levi charges twice the market price. Then with the discount your only paying 80% more than the market price. That's not bad.

Peter