NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Set break re: selling whole set together?

I see PWCC has a huge set break tonight of Willard Chocolate cards.

Wonder how the economics work out of giving it to them to break out and sell as scores of individual cards (some valuable many not so much) or list with REH and have them sell the whole lot. Guess it could vary considerably. I would figure you'd do better as a seller to sell the whole lot whole as the buyer would likely be buying with an idea of breaking it up himself later. Anyone have experience as a seller?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 PM
pete ullman

almost always better to break up and sell piecemeal!

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-09-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks. Learn something new every day. Hopefully......
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM
pete ullman

set building is almost always a money losing proposition...especially if you sell whole.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Wait, what?!?

As a seller you would do better selling whole to a buyer who will break it up, rather than breaking it up yourself?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Wait, what?!?

As a seller you would do better selling whole to a buyer who will break it up, rather than breaking it up yourself?
You would likely do better breaking the set up to sell
Old 05-09-2016, 09:12 PM
Mike P.ap

Default question....

I have a related question to this topic. I seem to remember a major auction house that will list your complete set AND also auction EVERY card in your set individually (typically they are all graded). Depending on how all of the cards do cumulatively is the trigger point for them to either sell them all individually or sell it as a set depending on what total is higher in the bids.

This obviously maximizes the return for the seller and makes some buyers left out in the cold.

Does anyone know which auction house offers this service?

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 05-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Yes, typically. I was paraphrasing what the OP had said.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

I think a seller would have to be extremely lucky to find a collector willing to pay a premium for a complete set. Maybe if it was very rare, or #1 on the registry, and you found that one buyer out there in a private sale. But usually you'd want to break it up to maximize value.

There was an interesting example in the recent Memory Lane auction. They had a complete PSA 10 86 Fleer basketball set up, as a complete lot, and also broken up into individual cards and small lots. If the set sold for more as a whole it would be sold that way. Looks like it only came up $58 short (69,000 vs 69,058 + 20% BP). I didn't think it would be that close.

Edited to add: I must have typed this at the same time as Mike's comment. Looks like the answer to your question is Memory Lane, and perhaps others.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-09-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:04 AM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I have a related question to this topic. I seem to remember a major auction house that will list your complete set AND also auction EVERY card in your set individually (typically they are all graded). Depending on how all of the cards do cumulatively is the trigger point for them to either sell them all individually or sell it as a set depending on what total is higher in the bids.

This obviously maximizes the return for the seller and makes some buyers left out in the cold.

Does anyone know which auction house offers this service?

Thanks!

Mike

I remember several years ago the whole set of 1914 Crackers were sold this way. I forgot exactly when and which AH.
But it was back before the 1914s blew up in price for a minute.

Last edited by Billy5858; 05-10-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
set building is almost always a money losing proposition...especially if you sell whole.
I agree. I'm selling my 1965 Topps set, and I'm breaking it up. I estimate that selling it as a whole would reduce the price by 30%.

I also agree that set building is too costly. I'm hoping that I can make enough from the stars and rookies to cover the commons. I'll be happy just to break even.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Bob Beck

About 3 years ago I gave a complete master 1956 Topps Baseball straight PSA 8 set to a major auction house and they set a reserve which was not met at $45,000 (SMR was $46,000+, the set stopped at $35,000). I broke it up card by card last year on ebay and netted, after fees, $42,000 and kept the Mantle, Aparicio and Aaron for myself. I think some sets like 68, 70, 73 Topps baseball etc. would be better to sell as a whole if they were complete PSA 8 sets. The population on some of the cards are so high in PSA 8 they will go nowhere and the set has its value without the nuisance and shipping costs of a card by card break. It can depend on the set.

Last edited by bbeck; 05-10-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
About 3 years ago I gave a complete master 1956 Topps Baseball straight PSA 8 set to a major auction house and they set a reserve which was not met at $45,000 (SMR was $46,000+, the set stopped at $35,000). I broke it up card by card last year on ebay and netted, after fees, $42,000 and kept the Mantle, Aparicio and Aaron for myself. I think some sets like 68, 70, 73 Topps baseball etc. would be better to sell as a whole if they were complete PSA 8 sets. The population on some of the cards are so high in PSA 8 they will go nowhere and the set has its value without the nuisance and shipping costs of a card by card break. It can depend on the set.

That's pretty impressive. Did you list them on eBay yourself or consign?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 PM
David M.

A friend of mine had a 33 Goudey set that he put together card by card, all in PSA 6. When he sold it, the auction house sold it as a set. I don't know if that was his decision or theirs, but when the auction concluded he figured he lost around $30K on it. He would have done so much better if they would have broken it up and sold it individually.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 PM
scott altland

Since we're on the subject....what's everybody's experience/thoughts on selling small sets like some of the "E" sets or others when the sets number around 20-30? I know this is different because in those sets you tend not to have commons per se.If an individual complted a very difficult set....1914 CJ,T204 Ramly...to name a few ,it would be a shame to break them up just because of the rarity and historical significance.
Thoughts?
Scott

Last edited by goudey1933; 05-10-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:09 PM

Default 1954 Topps set

Im 20 cards away from this set in VG and I am Going to sell it to try and get a 51 mantle bowman and I am having a hard time deciding which way I go? Sell all together or separate ??
Old 05-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Kev1n @1les

I think that VG gets pretty tough to make money on the commons - usually they come with a $.50ish per card handling fee - along with a 20-25% charge. In addition, they charge 3-3.50 for postage. VG commons for 54's will probably not average $3 apiece - therefore, people are going to be asked to pay more for postage than for the actual card. In addition, $.75 plus $.30-$.50 will go for the consignment charge. As a result, a $3 VG card sale will net you $1.75ish - a $2.00 VG common will net $1.00 ($2.00 - $.50 commission - $.50 handlng). With only 250 cards and several commons (I believe I counted 200 commons in the set), you need to do very, very well on Aaron, Kaline, Banks, Williams, Williams, Robinson, Mays to come out ahead of selling it as a set - as you probably won't do better than $200-$300 on the 200 commons.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Bob Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
That's pretty impressive. Did you list them on eBay yourself or consign?
I listed them all myself. The entire set took about 8 months to sell, every card was a buy it now. I remember the Dale Mitchell brought in around $1,800 at the time, even more than the Clemente.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:08 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
You mean giving to an auction house to break it up? The time suck to break it up yourself and ship to 100's of different sellers and hope to get paid for everyone, then ship to each buyer, has got to be a big time time/money suck. IMO, were not very far off from AH fees sucking the life out of selling individual cards in a set, especially the commons, unless they are over $20.

If you've got a buyer for the whole thing, I would take that. If you value your time at $0, than I would break it up.

PWCC has recently bundled PSA 9 commons from some set breaks, and I go after those regularly. They also bundled a bunch of '71 PSA 8's, and I won every one of those 6 groups. If these cards were sold individually, they wouldn't even make my watch list.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Bill O

PWCC has recently bundled PSA 9 commons from some set breaks, and I go after those regularly. They also bundled a bunch of '71 PSA 8's, and I won every one of those 6 groups. If these cards were sold individually, they wouldn't even make my watch list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bid on all of those 1923 V100 Willard Chocolate SETBREAK cards that PWCC was selling last night (139?) minus Ruth (original poster mentioned them).........My cell phone was going crazy with update notices for about an hour ha ha........didn't win anything. Thought I would be able to sneak a lowball in...Nope. Wasn't fun. I wonder how the seller came out versus selling as a bundle?......Needless to say I'm not doing that again. Just going after one card at a time....... I'm still learning this posting thing so please ignore me trying to quote someone above.....didn't work

Last edited by Billy5858; 05-10-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was watching those Willards. That was a very fresh looking group. Some of the highest graded ones I have seen AND with huge borders (as opposed to the many tiny bordered cards in high grade holders).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy5858 View Post
PWCC has recently bundled PSA 9 commons from some set breaks, and I go after those regularly. They also bundled a bunch of '71 PSA 8's, and I won every one of those 6 groups. If these cards were sold individually, they wouldn't even make my watch list.

Yeah I bid on all of those 1923 V100 Willard Chocolate SETBREAK cards that PWCC was selling last night (139?) minus Ruth (original poster mentioned them).........My cell phone was going crazy with update notices for about an hour ha ha........didn't win anything. Thought I would be able to sneak a lowball in...Nope. Wasn't fun. I wonder how the seller came out versus selling as a bundle?......Needless to say I'm not doing that again. Just going after one card at a time....... I'm still learning this posting thing so please ignore me trying to quote someone above.....didn't work[/QUOTE]
Old 05-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Br1an N0Iff

Breaking up or selling a set as a whole depends on a number of factors. The year and condition being the biggest..I flip low grade sets all the time, if I come across NM sets I almost always break them.

Why do you think people on the board are always asking to buy your "NM or better sets?" It's not because they are just collectors........
Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Jason Albregts

Mid grade 50s sets and forward, I would sell whole. It's not worth my time to maybe make a little more money but then have to package up and ship out all those cards. High end sets I think would be worth breaking up. There are many more buyers that can afford (and are looking for) a high grade single card than there are collectors who can afford (and are looking for) a high grade set.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I thought the tale of the Williards was revealing. First, although not a mainstream set, it carries some great qualities: issued at a time when there were few sets, beautiful sepia 'fotos, many of them unique, and really all the stars of the day sans the Babe. I took a run at many of them, was the underbidder on the Cobb and brought home the Duffy (wonder what is that huge tome he is reading?) and Evers (no wonder they call him the Crab). I wonder what considerations drove the consignor to choose PWCC for cards I doubt we will see for a long time rather than an auction house: no consignor's fee, huge, receptive Ebay audience, simple, easy distribution. All of the above?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
Mid grade 50s sets and forward, I would sell whole. It's not worth my time to maybe make a little more money but then have to package up and ship out all those cards. High end sets I think would be worth breaking up. There are many more buyers that can afford (and are looking for) a high grade single card than there are collectors who can afford (and are looking for) a high grade set.
i breaking up my 1954 topps psa 8-9 set for that reason
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i breaking up my 1954 topps psa 8-9 set for that reason
this makes no sense?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
this makes no sense?
There are many more buyers that can afford (and are looking for) a high grade single card than there are collectors who can afford (and are looking for) a high grade set.

so breaking up a 54' high grade set makes no sense in light of that comment by another poster?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Wha ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There are many more buyers that can afford (and are looking for) a high grade single card than there are collectors who can afford (and are looking for) a high grade set.

so breaking up a 54' high grade set makes no sense in light of that comment by another poster?

...now that makes no sense..