NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: robert a

Suppose several different products sponsered these issues and each product contained only certain colors.

What evidence do we have of this?

We know that most Old Puts are red.
We know that M131s are all blue.
I've seen many Blomes with blue backgrounds.

I've also heard from a couple collectors that have "found" sets that are all one color.

Have you seen any other evidence of this?

Rob

Old 09-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: JimB

Interesting question. I know of one E98 set of a board member that was found with all one color. I also know of another find of about 20 cards that were multiple colors.
JimB

Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: leon

I think there might be some evidence on the first statement you make as Old Puts almost always have a red background (front). I have only seen 2 that weren't and the 15-20 others, that I have seen, have all been red. I think M131's are a whole seperate set, as also noted by Burdick. I am unaware of any correlation with the last statement about Blomes but I have never really kept track of what fronts (color or player) they have....regards

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: Mike Ernst

My "find" of about 45 E98's back in about 1976-77 from an antique dealer in Wisconsin was of all different colors, including up to three different colors of the same player. I was able to determine no history of the cards prior to that, however.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: B D

there was/is an OP blue Mcgraw out there that is pretty nice as in ex+. I am pretty sure it sold about 5 years ago in a big auction

BcD

Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: Bob

Leon's blue Old Put Clarke is the only non-red Old Put I have ever seen. I used to own a red OP Clarke and still wait for the day when that stolen card appears on ebay
The only one color set I have ever seen is the hobby's best green E98 set owned by a fellow 54er from Philly.
As far as the orange E94s go, there are about 14-15 in existence. 2 are owned by a 54er who bought the Lionel Carter collection in Mastro, I believe they are Crawford and Devlin. I own a Devore which originally was owned by Brian Daniels. Brian also used to own 10-11 others including Speaker, Jennings, Lajoie, Evers (I think), Cobb (I think), McGraw (I think) and several commons. I believe Brian sold these through the hobby a couple of years ago. All of Brian's cards were high grade, the two Lionel Carter owned were not. I have never seen a duplication of any of the players in the orange subset so I am assuming all 14-15 are one of a kind. I have never seen an orange Cicotte, it may not exist.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: robert a

Bob,

I have a Blue Old Put Dooin that's mangled which kind of disproves my own point, but it's still clear that the majority of these cards were red.

I'm familiar with the "green monster" set which supports this theory a bit. That might've been an "orignal collection" or one that stemmed back to when the cards were issued.

Of course even folks like Lionel Carter were collecting these cards long after they could've been broken from the original groups.

Rob

Old 09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default E94/E98 colors

Posted By: Bob

Rob- The thing that is interesting about the oranges being found in Carter's collection is that he stopped acquiring cards in the 70's. I wish Brian would post where the oranges he had in his collection originated. It seems like he told me at one time that the cards were purchased together from a single dealer (?)
One thing which keeps me from being sold on the color variation theory is that every orange E94 I have seen has the identical shade of orange, not like the varying hues of orange you find in the T206 color variation cards.
BcD?