NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Default N167 Old Judge Gerhardt on Ebay

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I haven't had a good rant on the board for a while. I just wonder who was "fortunate" enough to convince the seller to end this auction early. Just for the record I put in a bid as soon as I saw it to discourage just this sort of thing. Anyways, odds are nobody here will fess up, but just thought everyone would like to see a good example of capitalism at its finest. Also, 3 different bids had been placed-the seller did themselves a great disservice.

Link:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=6280624073

-Rhett

Old 05-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Seller still has card and pulled it to get it graded. I just spoke to the seller who knows that the card is very valuable. I suggested that SGC be used.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I know the topic has been addressed before, but it is the seller's item to do with whatever they please. I personally would not and have never ended one of my auctions early. However, I have made offers on rare items to protect myself from not having the opportunity to bid.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I just got an email from the guy and he said he was sending it in to be graded and then he would decide what to do with it.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

John, obviously it is the sellers item to do with what he wants, and I know this issue has been addressed many times, and there are a lot of people out there who obviously have no problem with the practice. It still pisses me off to no end. If an item has sat on ebay for a while and nobody has bid on it, I guess I could understand emailing the seller to add a buy it now or something like that, but when an item has bids placed on it (in my personal opinion) there are few justifiable reasons to end an auction early. There are rules in this life, and some play by them, others do not. We all get to make the choice as to which category we fall into.

That is my opinion, I know others do not agree with me.

If the seller has pulled it to get it graded, I still think that is lame since it was on ebay with bids, but doesn't piss me off quite as bad.

-Rhett

Old 05-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I was watching it too. I aspplaud the seller for pulling the card to have SGC slab it. When he reposts it no one will have to feel that the card is suspect and not worth a bid. We will see a true auction value achieved in a medium where conspiratorial friendly relations between auctioneer and buyer do not exist. I look forward to it.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I, too, was watching it, but I knew it wasn't well-hidden enough that I'd have any chance to win. Looks like an SGC 30 to me. I don't know that the grading will make much difference in the realized price, but I guess it won't hurt.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Rhett, Don't get me wrong...I have been on the losing side of this situation at least a half-dozen times myself. I actually got into an argument with an individual who had a Mayo lot a few years back. He ended it early, we exchanged a few heated emails to no avail. I have been very proactive since then about making offers for items that I believe might not come up again for a while.