NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Definitely should be three pages of debate here about whether or not Orlando's posting of some obnoxious asshole's PM is a bannable offense. With full cites and footnotes.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Definitely should be three pages of debate here about whether or not Orlando's posting of some obnoxious asshole's PM is a bannable offense. With full cites and footnotes.
Who said anything about banning Orlando?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I've lived on Long Island the last 21 years, and have been a Net54 member since the days of the previous software platform (Took a two-year break around the time of changeover - hence my 2001 join date). Still, I have never met any of the numerous board members who live here. Also, I have been through South Dakota on 3-4 occasions and never met Ben personally either, but I can say with utmost honesty that he once helped me find my cellphone which was knocked off my headboard and deep inside my shoe!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

I am happy to tell anyone who cares BEN and TOPPSAHOLIC have squashed the beef.

We are officially good. Ben promises to keep an eye on me and I would have it no other way ...

Happy to announce we did our first two deals here --stay tuned

Sincere Thanks to Be.Nor.th for accepting the olive branch; so happy he & I aired it out privately and we are moving on

Thanks to those who helped and sorry to those who were annoyed (yet still read and posted)

#1 fun #2 buy #3 sell a few
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think that really justified it. People shouldn't do it, it undermines the integrity of the private message. I could see some exceptional circumstance where it was necessary to tell one's side of the story, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Peter, I know that you are a stickler for the rules, but come on. This guy PM'd me to let me know he is using this board as free publicity for his business (without paying for a banner), and potentially scamming fellow members with admittedly ridiculous prices! And you want to talk about the sanctity of the PM? Is a PM some sort of attorney/client or priest/penitent protected communication? The sides you take on issues sometimes boggles my mind Peter. It must be hard being the sanctimonious enforcer of minutiae. I think I just saw a guy mention a 51 bowman in the prewar section; time to put on your cape. Keep doing the Lord's work Peter.

Last edited by orly57; 09-06-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Peter, I know that you are a stickler for the rules, but come on. This guy PM'd me to let me know he is using this board as free publicity for his business (without paying for a banner), and potentially scamming fellow members with admittedly ridiculous prices! And you want to talk about the sanctity of the PM? Is a PM some sort of attorney/client or priest/penitent protected communication? The sides you take on issues sometimes boggles my mind Peter. It must be hard being the sanctimonious enforcer of minutiae. I think I just saw a guy mention a 51 bowman in the prewar section; time to put on your cape. Keep doing the Lord's work Peter.
Well my friend, you can mock me all you want and I know it's just a chatboard blah blah, but I still prefer people following rules to guys deciding on their own when it's cool to break them. Nice straw man on the privilege by the way.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-06-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
This guy PM'd me to let me know he is using this board as free publicity for his business...
That's not how I read the PM at all. You posted one of his auctions in this thread and he PM'd you to thank you for the free exposure (yeah, maybe it was a bit sarcastic, but it was a PM).

Rules are rules and I disagree with Leon, but it's his board and I respect his decision. I just think if you're going to allow it for some, you have to allow it for all.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 09-06-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Eidted to fix quote formatting
Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

oops wrong thread.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Orlando-Not that it really matters but I'm fine with what you did. More importantly, good luck with the storm-be safe my friend!

Jay
Old 09-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Wow, thanks Jay.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealToppsaholic View Post
---I don't even know what 'attacks' you are referencing. we came on here a year ago to defend ourselves and YES we came in too hot. --was new to the forum stuff didn't realize the rules

so here we are a year later almost at the end of the cobb saga --making myself available to anyone with questions ..going to POST the PSA letter -- and it is ME being attacked by BEN.

BEN has a big fan club. yet 80+ on this thread lots of responses and humor jabs etc but noooooo answer. no one knows WHO ben really is. that's all I'm saying.

ben --stop acting like a victim -- I have said 3? or 4? times I, MATTHEW ZIMMERMAN, am responsible for any/everything said here or on ebay. I am also personally and solely responsible for any and all ebay items we sell including the cobb mistake.
you are acting like a baby and the victim --what attacks ? why does me asking WHO you are FEEL like an attack to you? hmm.

LEON has my social security number and DOB if he wants it. he has my po box & home address, 2 phone numbers, email and I am available anytime. the small ebay business I run IN ITSELF makes me accountable/accessible.

its also funny to me how you FORGET --I came here. I'm not under examination. came to face the music. its a man's move -- I'm here to clear the air you seem to be out of ammo

tell me when you done so we can turn the spotlight on YOU and your past Ben? or not.

the words attacks (used 3 or 5 times by you just now) really makes me laugh -- I am on DEFENSE not offense. you would know if I was attacking you -- tell me if you really want me to post what I found on you --ok ?
These are the words of a very manipulative person.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Bill Lucier

I've only known Ben online, goes by Neo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg we-are-getting-aggravatedyes-we-are.jpg (20.8 KB, 539 views)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I've lived on Long Island the last 21 years, and have been a Net54 member since the days of the previous software platform (Took a two-year break around the time of changeover - hence my 2001 join date). Still, I have never met any of the numerous board members who live here. Also, I have been through South Dakota on 3-4 occasions and never met Ben personally either, but I can say with utmost honesty that he once helped me find my cellphone which was knocked off my headboard and deep inside my shoe!
LOL, Paul my friend all I can still picture is you taking your ancient flip phone out of you old smelly shoe and putting it to your face to talk to me.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

orlan.do rod.riguez ---I simply laughed at you posting our over-priced wagner stamp

you are promoting my item, not me. AND you posted it on the main page, the wrong place. so yes I PMed you to thank you PLUS its funny becuz you think you are jabbing at us but really you are helping. simple stuff.

ok ORLY57 ?? --

look at you trying to make trouble
Old 09-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Still making friends fast. The OP is trying the marketing 101 plan of the late Bruce(s).

Rob M
Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

ramram whats the beef my friend ? are we cool ? you talking talking but about what ?

"making friends" with who ? anonymous people with fake names?

guys like you taking un-needed shots on topics you are clueless on ?

ram ram doesn't care to identify himself I am guessing ?

ram ram please be my friend?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
orlan.do rod.riguez ---I simply laughed at you posting our over-priced wagner stamp

you are promoting my item, not me. AND you posted it on the main page, the wrong place. so yes I PMed you to thank you PLUS its funny becuz you think you are jabbing at us but really you are helping. simple stuff.

ok ORLY57 ?? --

look at you trying to make trouble
My pleasure. As a criminal defense attorney, it is often my job to help out dirt-bags. Maybe now you will crack 20k in sales this year and move out of mom's basement.

Last edited by orly57; 09-06-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
ramram whats the beef my friend ? are we cool ? you talking talking but about what ?

"making friends" with who ? anonymous people with fake names?

guys like you taking un-needed shots on topics you are clueless on ?

ram ram doesn't care to identify himself I am guessing ?

ram ram please be my friend?

Gladly, you simply tone it down and be respectful to your fellow members, and then we're all good.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I been a member here for about 5 years & on ebay for 17 years. I have bought many cards from benon ebay but I dont know ben or anyone on this board in real life. But i do know that Toppsaholic is someone none of us should buy or sell with. His reputation speaks for itself. Blaming others ( who may or may not even exist) for past mistakes is pathetic & embarrassing. Last year coming on net54 showed more of the same.

Has nothing to do with his crazy high prices or other accused issues. But the guy is an ass. A condescending blowhard who imo isnt good for the hobby. Coming on here picking fights with a huge community of ebay buyers shows hes not very savy. Hoping to get free publicity isnt always a good idea. I think most here will make sure not to deal with you because of your attitude.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 09-07-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Brendan Mullen

^^^^ Couldn't agree more. I would never buy a thing off of Topps-aholic.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I been a member here for about 5 years & on ebay for 17 years. I have bought many cards from benon ebay but I dont know ben or anyone on this board in real life. But i do know that Toppsaholic is someone none of us should buy or sell with. His reputation speaks for itself. Blaming others ( who may or may not even exist) for past mistakes is pathetic & embarrassing. Last year coming on net54 showed more of the same.

Has nothing to do with his crazy high prices or other accused issues. But the guy is an ass. A condescending blowhard who imo isnt good for the hobby. Coming on here picking fights with a huge community of ebay buyers shows hes not very savy. Hoping to get free publicity isnt always a good idea. I think most here will make sure not to deal with you because of your attitude.
Entire thread summed up right here. Mic drop. Done.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Entire thread summed up right here. Mic drop. Done.
Yup, yup ,yup. We've seen this act before. Bring da noise isn't always the best
method and usually gets the same response.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Posting PMs isn't cool...and against board rules.
+1
Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Ooooooo, so did he go thru a legal name change?? Hopkins/Zimmerman do sound the same
NO: I checked and he is Matthew Zimmerman of Halifax, MA. He is associated with Alison Renee Hopkins and is obviously using her name to hide from identity.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF AN UN-NAMED USER being able to post other user's names while anonymous. seems strange ~ so WHO is SLIPHORN? does any one know slip horn ?

LEON --does sliphorn need to be identified in order to be able to post people's names?
sliphorn --isn't is possible Alison Renee is also involved in our ebaying? not cool to bring people's spouses into the mix.

WHO IS SLIPHORN -- the board needs to know
Old 10-30-2017, 01:54 AM
Bob Davies

I'm thinking since you've changed the direction of your obsession from Ben to Sliphorn, perhaps you should be changing the title of the thread (if possible), or start a new one. I got confused over what member we were supposed to be slamming...

edited to add, looks like a new thread was started... and closed by Leon.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 10-30-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:05 AM
Al Richter

Sliphorn is a mere variation of himself.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

Why? Who cares.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

delete

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 10-30-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:40 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF AN UN-NAMED USER being able to post other user's names while anonymous. seems strange ~ so WHO is SLIPHORN? does any one know slip horn ?

LEON --does sliphorn need to be identified in order to be able to post people's names?
sliphorn --isn't is possible Alison Renee is also involved in our ebaying? not cool to bring people's spouses into the mix.

Leon,

I totally agree with this guy. Why doesn't Sliphorn have his name in his post?

And are you really going to allow posting the names of other members wives? Is that how far we've come? I assume other family members are fair game too?

WOW!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon,

I totally agree with this guy. Why doesn't Sliphorn have his name in his post?

And are you really going to allow posting the names of other members wives? Is that how far we've come? I assume other family members are fair game too?

WOW!
WOW right back at you.,

Matthew got sent his full name as I stated. His wife, or whomever that is, has been or has had their name used in the escapades as part of the business. That is why that is still there. Generally speaking family members privacy is very protected on this forum as it should be. IF you don't like this situation....sorry.

Also, if a member demands something and acts crazily doing it, then there is a real good chance he won't get his way...rule or no rule.

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
WOW right back at you.,

Matthew got sent his full name as I stated. His wife, or whomever that is, has been or has had their name used in the escapades as part of the business. That is why that is still there. IF you don't like it....sorry.
So what if she's part of the business? Are they doing something illegal or unethical? Did I miss something? I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm curious, did I really miss something? Besides, even if he is, that doesn't mean she knows about it. But it's your board, your call.

And as far as sending him Sliphorn's name, that's not what your rules state. They state if you give an opinion of a person or company, your full name needs to be in your post. Sliphorn gave an opinion. He stated, "obviously using her name to hide from identity." That is an opinion. But, again, your board, your call.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Brendan Mullen

Does Vintagetoppsguy = RealToppsaholic??
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Does Vintagetoppsguy = RealToppsaholic??
Not even close.

It's just that this thread has been a real eye opener for me. I've learned 3 things: Despite the rules, (1) it's obviously OK to post PMs, (2) you really don't have to have your name in your post when giving an opinion of someone else and (3) it's OK to post the names of members family members.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So what if she's part of the business? Are they doing something illegal or unethical? Did I miss something? I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm curious, did I really miss something? Besides, even if he is, that doesn't mean she knows about it. But it's your board, your call.

And as far as sending him Sliphorn's name, that's not what your rules state. They state if you give an opinion of a person or company, your full name needs to be in your post. Sliphorn gave an opinion. He stated, "obviously using her name to hide from identity." That is an opinion. But, again, your board, your call.
So what if she is part of the business? Because of that, to me, she is in the same realm of being discussed as any other collector/dealer etc...not a regular, out of the hobby, family member. I don't see any rule that says someone has to do something wrong or unethical to be discussed. She was discussed on this board before, if I am not mistaking?

And you are absolutely right about Sliphorn. And in almost every instance I would have mandated his full name being out there or he would have had to edit his post out. However, as I stated, if someone acts crazy as Matthew did then all bets off.

And It really never goes well when someone debates rules with the person that wrote them. I think you missed this part, under the heading what you may not post about. It's been there as long as the other part you rattled off..

**Since there are an unlimited amount of unforeseeable issues that can arise on the board, the moderator may make any decision he feels is in the best interest of Net54baseball, regardless of any written or oral rules.

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:

She was also posting on this forum using the realtoppsaholic account. I also received PMs with 3 different names from that account.

Now to get back to the original question, have we ever figured out if this Ben person is real?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Not even close.

It's just that this thread has been a real eye opener for me. I've learned 3 things: Despite the rules, (1) it's obviously OK to post PMs, (2) you really don't have to have your name in your post when giving an opinion of someone else and (3) it's OK to post the names of members family members.
You apparently were in the wrong class.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
And you are absolutely right about Sliphorn. And in almost every instance I would have mandated his full name being out there or he would have to edit his post out. However, as I stated, if someone acts crazy as Matthew did then all bets off.
If someone posted my wife's name on a public message board, I would act crazy too. Maybe I have the sequence of events out of order? But from what I see, Sliphorn resurrected a thread from a month and a half ago for the sole purpose of causing trouble. Was there some previous bickering between toppsaholic and Sliphorn that I missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
She was also posting on this forum using the realtoppsaholic account.
If that's true, then I think it's fair that her name be posted...but I think it has to be absolutely certain that it was her.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Now to get back to the original question, have we ever figured out if this Ben person is real?
The question of whether or not there is a Ben has plagued mankind since the very beginning. Some people say the Shroud of South Dakota only dates back to the middle ages and isn't a true relic, but me, personally? I have faith and choose to believe in a benevolent Ben.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If someone posted my wife's name on a public message board, I would act crazy too. Maybe I have the sequence of events out of order? But from what I see, Sliphorn resurrected a thread from a month and a half ago for the sole purpose of causing trouble. Was there some previous bickering between toppsaholic and Sliphorn that I missed?

If that's true, then I think it's fair that her name be posted...but I think it has to be absolutely certain that it was her.
Yes, I think there was a bad deal between the two recently, that is my take on it. And from a 3rd party board member, Matthew might have been the issue. You have every right to your opinion just like any other member. I don't see anything I did which I would change. You are safe as long as your family isn't part of your business. That said, I don't think that merely mentioning a family members name is the worst thing in the world. It shouldn't be done but it's not in the top million things I don't want. And I will generally edit their name out too. In the last 15 yrs I don't recall anyone's family member being allowed to be spoken about unless there was an extraordinary situation such as this. I don't see anything that has been said about her that has been disrespectful either.
BTW, Matthew acted crazy before I had a chance to address Sliphorn's name issue. After he went crazy I changed my mind on posting it...but still sent his name to Matthew. Everyone should be able to know who is saying stuff in their direction.

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I think there was a bad deal between the two recently, that is my take on it. And from a 3rd party board member, Matthew might have been the issue. You have every right to your opinion just like any other member. I don't see anything I did which I would change. You are safe as long as your family isn't part of your business. That said, I don't think that merely mentioning a family members name is the worst thing in the world. It shouldn't be done but it's not in the top million things I don't want. And I will generally edit their name out too. In the last 15 yrs I don't recall anyone's family member being allowed to be spoken about unless there was an extraordinary situation such as this. I don't see anything that has been said about her that has been disrespectful either.
BTW, Matthew acted crazy before I had a chance to address Sliphorn's name issue. After he went crazy I changed my mind on posting it...but still sent his name to Matthew. Everyone should be able to know who is saying stuff in their direction.
Understood. I'm just trying to make sense of it all. The bad deal story makes sense, shows motive, but you would think if there were a deal between the two (good or bad), that Toppsaholic would have his contact information as well and wouldn't be starting threads asking for it. From someone who's been away from the boards lately and just reading it, it appears that Sliphorn started it for no apparent reason. Like you said, maybe there was more to it? Either way, I don't know Toppsaholic and really don't care.