NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2017, 12:05 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Little Rock--Southern League Question

I am really enjoying collecting the PCL, especially Obaks. Since I live in Arkansas, I also wouldn't mind picking up some of the Little Rock (or any other Arkansas-oriented) cards from the Southern League. It seems like Hart and Lentz are the only two players I have found cards of thus far. I have checked in with T206resource and some old Net54 threads. So far these are the only cards I would be looking at picking up:

T206 (SL)

Hart—Piedmont 350, Old Mill Black, Old Mill Brown (Probable), Hindu Brown (Probable)
Lentz—Piedmont 350, Old Mill Black, Old Mill Brown (Probable), Hindu Brown (Probable)

T213

Hart—Coupon Type 1
Lentz—Coupon Type 1

I can't seem to find any checklists for T209, T210, or Coupon 2 and 3 cards. Are there are any Little Rock/Arkansas cards in these or other such issues? If anyone can point me in the right direction to keep researching checklists and such, it would be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Almost certain there are no T209 and T213-2 or later Little Rock cards. T210 would be your best shot. Not sure about T211. Wooo Pig!

Last edited by Orioles1954; 11-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Almost certain there are no T209 and T213-2 or later Little Rock cards. T210 would be your best shot. Not sure about T211. Wooo Pig!
Thanks, James! Big early season tournament in Portland starting tomorrow. WPS!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 01:46 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I found T210 and T211 checklists and no Little Rock at all.

Other than Lentz and Hart in T206, is there anywhere else I can look?

Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Are you just looking for cards that portray the subject with Little Rock, or players that played for Little Rock at some time in their career?

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 11-22-2017, 02:37 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Are you just looking for cards that portray the subject with Little Rock, or players that played for Little Rock at some time in their career?
Hey, Ed. I would really like to have cards with subjects portrayed with LR. Not sure there will be many options.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Hey, Ed. I would really like to have cards with subjects portrayed with LR. Not sure there will be many options.

They are hard to find, but you might consider Little Rock RPPCs. There are some cool ones come up now and then.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 PM
S Gross

A problem is that LR did not have a team from 1910-1914, a prime time of many issues.

Also, not to be a Debbie Downer , but Hart and Lentz don't have Hindu or Brown Old Mill.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thanks, James! Big early season tournament in Portland starting tomorrow. WPS!

Team is looking great. Really like Macon, Barford, Gafford and Beard in the starting lineup. Hopefully football will find a quality coach soon. WPS forever!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
A problem is that LR did not have a team from 1910-1914, a prime time of many issues.

Also, not to be a Debbie Downer , but Hart and Lentz don't have Hindu or Brown Old Mill.
Thanks, Scott. I was piecing that info about LR together. I was also operating under the assumption that the brown OM and Hindu were no-gos. I really appreciate the confirmation.

Perhaps after finding the T206 Piedmont 350 and black OM for Hart and Lentz and their Coupon 1s , I might pick up a few T210s of subjects from teams in my region such as New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Dallas, etc. And , like Ed mentioned, I might look out for some RPPCs as well.

All this on top of my PCL pursuits. I will be busy and broke.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 11-22-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Team is looking great. Really like Macon, Barford, Gafford and Beard in the starting lineup. Hopefully football will find a quality coach soon. WPS forever!
Given our experience at guard, it could be a good season. It would be great to make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Mike has a good recruiting class coming in next year as well.

Football is a different matter.
A search committee for finding a new AD was formed today. Bielema will probably be relieved of duty this weekend. Honestly, the whole thing feels like a mess and reminds me of the fiasco when we fired Stan Heath, briefly hired Dana Altman, and ended up with Pelphrey. Stay tuned!

Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 PM
Mike Dugan

Robert- There is a RRPC of the Little Rock team in the Southern League that dates from the 1909-14 period. I have the postcards for Little Rock and three other teams from that period. I will ask my daughter for assistance posting that PC in the next couple of days.

Please also remember that basketball is not a real sport. Only baseball and football count in the south.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 PM
JeR@Me

Default Little Rock to Chattanooga... 1910 Southern Association

If my memory serves correctly, Little Rock sold/converted to Chattanooga in early 1910. This is also why you see Chattanooga in the 1910 T210 set and not LR. I also believe this is why Chattanooga is the toughest team to assemble in the 8 series. Late entry...
Old 11-23-2017, 06:11 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Robert- There is a RRPC of the Little Rock team in the Southern League that dates from the 1909-14 period. I have the postcards for Little Rock and three other teams from that period. I will ask my daughter for assistance posting that PC in the next couple of days.

Please also remember that basketball is not a real sport. Only baseball and football count in the south.
I would like to see those PCs, and maybe someday I can track down that RPPC of the LR team. That sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack, but sooner or later...

Baseball will always be my favorite, followed by college football. College basketball is probably my 3rd favorite, although it isn't what it was. But it counts in a big way for me as an Arkansan. Many of my best Razorback memories are basketball related thanks to Eddie and Nolan. Given that football will be a major dumpster fire for the next few years, Mike and his team will be all the more important.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:19 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
If my memory serves correctly, Little Rock sold/converted to Chattanooga in early 1910. This is also why you see Chattanooga in the 1910 T210 set and not LR. I also believe this is why Chattanooga is the toughest team to assemble in the 8 series. Late entry...
That would explain a great deal. I read...somewhere???...about the difficulty the Chattanooga subjects present...maybe from a frustrated collector. The southern baseball angle is something I am learning. It will be fun to collect along with the PCL. I never expected to be chasing prewar minor league issues, but it's where my interests have led me. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Derek Granger

Default Little Rock

Here’s my 1908 Little Rock Traveler’s PC w/ Tris Speaker:

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 11-23-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:40 AM

So many of my favorite memories involve Razorback basketball! I was raised in Maryland but have a deep, abiding love for my Hogs. NCAA basketball is awesome! Favorite players of all-time? Mayberry, Day, Howell, Bowers, Shep and a few others. I'm hopeful with Hog football. Bielema's system was never meant for the SEC.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Jeff Long

I've been in a foul mood all year because I found out my parking was moved due to construction after I had paid for tickets and donated....I imagine that happened to a lot of people which may be one of the reasons Jeff Long will be looking for a new job......Robert, my brother was researching the history of professional baseball in Fort Smith before he moved to North Carolina but I don't remember if there were any circa 1910 postcards or not......probably not.....Jerry
Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Here’s my 1908 Little Rock Traveler’s PC w/ Tris Speaker:

That is the PC I was thinking of. I also remember a cabinet photo of LR that has Jim Delehanty (not sure I spelled that right) that was at auction (I think LOTG?). And didn't you have a photo or PC of the team that you were trying to figure out the date? Anyway, there are some cool images of early Arkansas baseball that come up from time to time.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:48 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

That is a really cool postcard for sure. Thanks for sharing!

James/Jerry, the good news is that Razorback football can only go up from here, I hope.

Jerry, I knew you and your brother a little a long time back when we were kids. I knew your brother a little better since he was closer to my age. If memory serves, he and I were on the same baseball team at the Boys Club at one point. The research of baseball in and around Fort Smith (and/or elsewhere throughout thr state) would be a fun project if I ever had any spare time. Honestly, I don't know why it has taken me this long to develop interest in this area.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 11-23-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Mike Dugan

Robert and Jerry there has been tons of neat baseball research done on Arkansas baseball in the last ten years. A young man from Bryant and a dozen others have turned up lots of info. I would hope you both might try to attend the next meeting of the Brooks Robinson-George Kell chapter of SABR which will be in Little Rock either the last Saturday in January of the first in February. No need to be a SABR member just come and listen to some cool research.!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Robert and Jerry there has been tons of neat baseball research done on Arkansas baseball in the last ten years. A young man from Bryant and a dozen others have turned up lots of info. I would hope you both might try to attend the next meeting of the Brooks Robinson-George Kell chapter of SABR which will be in Little Rock either the last Saturday in January of the first in February. No need to be a SABR member just come and listen to some cool research.!
Mike, I didn't know anything about that. I will attend if I am able. Thank you for the info on that. I will Google the organization and educate myself. Thanks!

Robert

Old 11-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike.....my dad's first cousin played for the Fort Smith Giants in the 50s......I understand he was a great player before he broke his leg playing college football......Jerry
Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I just picked this up, it made me think of this thread. Figured I would bump it back up and share this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.4 KB, 104 views)

Old 10-23-2018, 09:26 AM

I have a Little Rock uniform and cleats from the 1950's

It was Geese Ausbie's of the Harlem Globetrotters, he played minor league ball in Little Rock
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Cool

That's cool Ed....I always got Goose Tatum and Geese Ausbie confused....Ausbie was from Little Rock and Tatum was from El Dorado I think...Jerry
Old 10-23-2018, 05:51 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
That's cool Ed....I always got Goose Tatum and Geese Ausbie confused....Ausbie was from Little Rock and Tatum was from El Dorado I think...Jerry
Jerry, I was hoping it would get you to post. Good to hear from you. Do you know the year based on the uniform? It is Sam Covington, so I am guessing it is 1915 or 1916, but I think he came back in 1925 or something like that.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:51 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpoolem3 View Post
I have a Little Rock uniform and cleats from the 1950's

It was Geese Ausbie's of the Harlem Globetrotters, he played minor league ball in Little Rock
Can you show it? Sounds cool.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Sure

give me a couple of days...I just got the new iPhone max because my iPhone 6plus finally became unusable...I bought it in 2014, the 16gb thinking "i will never need more than that!" well it got so bad I couldn't even use the calculator even after deleting everything almost

anyway the new one is charging and should be taking pics tomorrow or the next day

Last edited by Dpoolem3; 10-24-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Year

Ed....I can't tell....looks more like the 1920's but don't know...Jerry