NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Patrick N.

Default I'm in a bad card relationship, what to do...

To make a long story short, I collected cards with my brother during the late 80s when cards were hot and the rookie card syndrome struck America...Since then,
we dumped most of our overproduced sets and cards ('90 UD, etc.) and only kept a few token reminders.

However, at this time I helped steer us into collecting "vintage" cards (50s 60s) including Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, 1957s (sentimental value), and a few more ...

Later, as I pursued card collecting more actively I started dabbling with pre-war and even some post-war sets and players--not just the most touted. The problem is that he is very picky about condition (so was I but I've softened) and he pretty much just appreciates recognizable issues w/major stars and rcs.

When I showed him a few T's and pics of Cobb T206s, etc. they did not seem to grab his attention. What should I do? Just accept that my card collecting interests have diverged? Have you ever collected with a a friend or family member and your interests did not align? Thanks for sharing...

Last edited by mintacular; 07-27-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Kenny Cole

Yep, did that with my brother for years. Ultimately, in the early 1990's, we had to agree to disagree about where we were going and divide the collection.

We decided simply to split the post-war stuff according to who had purchased it. That was pretty easy. With regard to the pre-war, we reached an agreed valuation on a per card basis, and held a draft. We flipped a coin and the winner got to pick either the first card or both the second and third cards (that sort of evened things out value-wise). It took about 5 hours and created some tension at the time, but ultimately it worked out far better than the alternative would have.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default chocolate and vanilla

I would say you each should collect what you each enjoy....and you can still do it together. I wish I had a brother interested in cards (any cards)...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Patrick N.

Default Chocolate

Speaking of chocolate, he would look at a few of my really banged up Ts say "You paid that $ for this!" Actually he wouldn't say that but would wonder why I didn't buy a bunch of post-war cards that he/we like...

Last edited by mintacular; 07-28-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Your glass is actually half full . . .

Similar situation, I collected pre-war cards, my brother collected post-war cards. Then he focused on collecting signed post-war Detroit Tiger team sets, while I focused on vintage Detroit Tigers autographs.

What makes it a half full situation is that you both can go to a show (such as the National) and not be competing for the same items. Plus, as both of you canvas the dealers, you can note what might be of interest to your brother (and vice versa). Often, we see items that the other either has missed, or might not get to for a while. And with other serious collectors in attendance at a show (in my opinion, especially with scarce/unusual autographs) the early bird usually gets the worm.

It's been a sweet, working relationship for us both.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Ben H*ds@n

I agree with Leon in that you should collect what you enjoy. However, I would embrace the difference in collecting opinions in a way that could benefit everyone. Maybe down the road there will be something that you brother may be familiar with which could in turn, be new to you and interest you as well. ...and vice versa. jmho